The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Showcase is an absolute madhouse. I've already seen at least 30 people with the 60th ears. Fans/annual passholders are buying everything. I may have bought a few things.

Figments Friend

I love Captain EO, but I understand the other point of view. The thing is, Disney hasn't really done anything right with that theater (or the one at Imagination at lowercase Epcot, which is a complete and total disaster of a pavilion) since Captain EO was there originally. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience was pretty awful and was somehow instantly dated in a very bad way when it opened at Epcot '94. At Disneyland, it was even worse, where it was shoehorned in years later. Bringing back Captain EO was fun, although it did last too long, and it was kinda bootleg with that notch in the upper left corner of the screen, the messed-up looking film print and since it didn't utilize all of the effects it had originally. I mean, the script for the cast members to introduce it had them saying it featured "many of" the effects that made it a Disneyland classic. They couldn't just spend the money on lasers and smoke, or even clean up the film?

But using it as advertising space now is still not an ideal solution. I can see Captain EO coming back with lasers and then being evicted in favor of a Star Wars VII preview, with lasers, then possibly a Star Wars show? Ehh...

It is extremely unfortunate what has occurred in that section of Tomorrowland between the theater, Innoventions, Mission to Mars (hey, it was dated, but an actual attraction) becoming Pizza Port, Rocket Jets becoming a useless ugly stationary radar thing...did I leave anything out?

Agree regarding the Magic Eye Theatre, and especially the horrendous HISTA.
It is a shame that the return of 'Eo' to Disneyland and 'lower-case epcot' did not bring back ALL the in-theatre effects.
Smoke, lasers, and even some of the stuff that DID make it back ( 'whip warriors' tickle around your ankles, etc..) stopped working or was simply turned off.

I would like to see the space used for something else besides a spot to see promotional trailers for upcoming Studio releases.
Perhaps something is in the works...in the future.

Let us hope the new 'Tomorrowland' film is a massive success and spurs a interest in the Company to revamp Disneyland's Tomorrowland.
It needs a refreshening.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I thought they were not doing the 'interactive paint brush' element from Hong Kong..?
Surprised to see those brushes at DL. I guess they could not resist marketing another 'glowing' item.

Hopefully these will actually do something...when i have watched the Hong Kong footage during the 'painting' segment at the end when Guests are supposed to use the brushes they do not seem to really be all that 'interactive'.

I think it just works like Glow with the Show.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
NPH waiting for the show to start
image.jpg

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Some thoughts after today:

DCA looks beautiful, but I'm not really feeling the blue and white flags/banners around the park. Grizzly Peak is gorgeous and Carthay looks so nice.

All of Disneyland looks nice. Love the entrance, Main Street, Sleeping Beauty Castle, everything. Speaking of SBC, it looks better in person, both in the day and at night.

Indy is fabulous. Every effect worked and everything is louder. My ears didn't really appreciate that.

Hatbox is awesome. Need say no more.

Great to see Disneyland-themed cups and plates, as said previously.

The corn dogs went up in price, AGAIN.

The 60th merchandise is so nice and I can't wait to buy more things.

Today's "Wednesdays with Walt" featured Goofy, and Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy) surprised us and showed up. He's an awesome Goofy, and I found out today he also voices Pluto's bark, and can also do a little of Mickey and Donald.

Sorry for the bad quality, I sat in the back:

WP_20150520_17_15_40_Pro.jpg

Finally, I can't wait for the celebration to officially begin. This is going to be a great summer.

FigmentForver96

DCA looks beautiful, but I'm not really feeling the blue and white flags/banners around the park. Grizzly Peak is gorgeous and Carthay looks so nice.

All of Disneyland looks nice. Love the entrance, Main Street, Sleeping Beauty Castle, everything. Speaking of SBC, it looks better in person, both in the day and at night.

Indy is fabulous. Every effect worked and everything is louder. My ears didn't really appreciate that.

Today's "Wednesdays with Walt" featured Goofy, and Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy) surprised us and showed up. He's an awesome Goofy, and I found out today he also voices Pluto's bark, and can also do a little of Mickey and Donald.

View attachment 93746

Finally, I can't wait for the celebration to officially begin. This is going to be a great summer.

Did the Chamber of Destiny effect work on Indy? I know some friends were saying not to long ago that the effect was still not working.

cheezbat

I'm here right now at DL and while its been fun, it's also been somewhat disappointing. I knew the new nighttime parade and fireworks show would not be running yet, as well as Matterhorn and Peter Pan closed, but no Fantasmic, day parade, or Mickey and the Magic Map? Not too happy about that...Especially since i brought a first timer who reslly wanted to see it all. I'll be at DCA tomorrow...hope WOC is running.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm here right now at DL and while its been fun, it's also been somewhat disappointing. I knew the new nighttime parade and fireworks show would not be running yet, as well as Matterhorn and Peter Pan closed, but no Fantasmic, day parade, or Mickey and the Magic Map? Not too happy about that...Especially since i brought a first timer who reslly wanted to see it all. I'll be at DCA tomorrow...hope WOC is running.

They're not running Soundsational due to the tapings, Fantasmic! is only shown on Friday-Sunday (been that way for a while), and I can't speak on Mickey and the Magical Map. Seems you didn't pick the right time to go.

nemofinder22

View attachment 93746

This will be an amazing summer and I'm looking foward to the D23 Expo as well.

I don't know if I'm ready for the 60th, it has been so much fun over the past few months and even years speculating and waiting for everything. I'm really excited for Paint the Night there is something about DL and lights that has always captivated me even the parade light towers....

Also I will probably go broke this summer... but DIAMONDS!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
This will be an amazing summer and I'm looking foward to the D23 Expo as well.

I don't know if I'm ready for the 60th, it has been so much fun over the past few months and even years speculating and waiting for everything. I'm really excited for Paint the Night there is something about DL and lights that has always captivated me even the parade light towers....

Also I will probably go broke this summer... but DIAMONDS!!!!!!!!! :cool:

I was literally just thinking the same thing. I remember starting the first thread in April of 2014; there were rumors and a lot of speculating going on. Then July 17th came and instead of announcing everything like they said they would, all we got was the logo and the announcement of that contest. I remember we were all upset. Months had gone by and nothing. Six months later, the new entertainment was announced, more announcements were made, Hatbox came back, there's a new Harold, and now we're a day away. I've had a lot of fun discussing this topic for the past year! @GiveMeTheMusic, @TP2000, @sponono88, @nemofinder22, @Endor Sightseer, @Virtual Insanity You guys are the best.

I'm already broke, and now things will get worse. On top of this, USH will start selling Harry Potter merchandise soon. Oh, boy.

prberk

What is "Wednesdays with Walt"? Is that something you made up or a feature of the 60th? Or something else? Where is it?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
What is "Wednesdays with Walt"? Is that something you made up or a feature of the 60th? Or something else? Where is it?

It's an annual passholder weekly event in the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln theater (Opera House) at Disneyland. Every Wednesday since summer or fall of last year (I think), Disney hosts a new subject to show APs. I forgot last week's, but I know a few weeks ago it was the Golden Horseshoe. Yesterday was Goofy. They talked about Goofy's history, showed us a montage, had Bill Farmer come out and talk to us, then showed maybe four or five Goofy shorts.

I'm pretty sure they've been doing this to promote the 60th. The full schedule can be found on the annual passholder page on Disneyland.com.

Last edited:

prberk

It's an annual passholder weekly event in the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln theater at Disneyland. Every Wednesday since summer or fall of last year (I think), Disney hosts a new subject to show APs. I forgot last week's, but I know a few weeks ago it was the Golden Horseshoe. Yesterday was Goofy. They talked about Goofy's history, showed us a montage, had Bill Farmer come out and talk to us, then showed maybe four or five Goofy shorts.

I'm pretty sure they've been doing this to promote the 60th. The full schedule can be found on the annual passholder page on Disneyland.com.

Wow. I would love that. I was an AP for WDW for many, many years, before it became rediculous for what you got -- and they never did anything like that. I am not an AP for DL, but might be there with Wednesday before or after June 13. Is either date posted? Might be worth considering, since I plan to come back in January also.

EDIT - just saw your other post, and the link did work even though I am not a passholder. Looks cool.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Wow. I would love that. I was an AP for WDW for many, many years, before it became rediculous for what you got -- and they never did anything like that. I am not an AP for DL, but might be there with Wednesday before or after June 13. Is either date posted? Might be worth considering, since I plan to come back in January also.

EDIT - just saw your other post, and the link did work even though I am not a passholder. Looks cool.

If you're planning to come back within a year, I'd definitely consider it. You can catch one of these screenings, plus you'll receive discounts.

Looks like you'll be here one week after the Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 screening/evening event on June 4th at the Chinese Theatre. I know you would have been interested in something like that. You'll have just missed it.

prberk

If you're planning to come back within a year, I'd definitely consider it. You can catch one of these screenings, plus you'll receive discounts.

Looks like you'll be here one week after the Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 screening/evening event on June 4th at the Chinese Theatre. I know you would have been interested in something like that. You'll have just missed it.
Wow. That would be cool. I will have to tell my friend, a music major who loves classical music and Disney, who is graduating with his master's of divinity from Fuller on the 13th (the reason I may be coming to L.A.).

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Wow. That would be cool. I will have to tell my friend, a music major who loves classical music and Disney, who is graduating with his master's of divinity from Fuller on the 13th (the reason I may be coming to L.A.).

The link for tickets is in the "Explore Southern California" thread, if you or your friend are interested.

Congratulations to your friend, BTW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom