Trip Report The “More SunPass than the average Florida resident/Can you believe this is happening?” Trip Report.

*****Disclaimer*****
This is my first trip using a GoPro as my primary form of image capturing. With this comes some trial and error that I learned along the way so I do apologize for the occasional fuzzy picture as well as the excessive amount of pictures I am about to bombard you with. Additionally, I am not known for my wordsmithing as I favor the 1’s and 0’s over the A’s and B’s so I apologize ahead of time for the inevitable grammar and spelling typos that will surely come your way. That said, I do hope you enjoy the following!

So here we are, Surf ‘n Turf trip number four! For all the funtivities about the who/what/when/etc have yourself a nice read here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/18-years-of-marital-bliss-means-it’s-time-for-some-surf-n-turf-action…-again.915877/

So after about five and half hours of sleep I was up bright and early at 04:00 with the DW soon up to follow. The DMIL, who was staying over to watch the DD, saw us off and we ended up pulling out of the house around 04:40 to avoid the madness that is Atlanta traffic. We had to make a quick stop to fuel up first:
20161019_044732.jpg

We chose to avoid eating until we got through downtown because I didn’t want to risk getting caught in anything the ATL could conjure up. Soon we were on the south side and ready for some breakfast. We passed a sign for Truett’s grill, Chick-fil-A founder, and thought this sounded good, I love me some spicy chicken biscuit action! We took the exit and made our way to the grill only to find out that they didn’t open for breakfast until 06:00!! Alas, it was only 05:45 and I was on a mission to not waste time so we hopped back on I-75 and made our way south. We ended up dining at a Chick-fil-A in Macon only to learn that the spicy chicken biscuit has now become a regional item!! I pressed the server to make sure she knew what state we were still in and that the idea of a spicy chicken biscuit not being available in Truett’s home state was just plain nuts! So the DW and I settled for a pair of chicken biscuits but had the fortune that a Dunkin Donuts was right across the street so we were able to secure some good coffee for the trip.
[TangetTime]

True story: I actually met Honey Boo Boo at this very Dunkin Donuts during the state wrestling tournament about three years ago. Now aren’t you jealous!!!
hbb.jpg

hbb2jpg.jpg

[/TangentTime]

We would only stop one more time for fuel and restroom access during our travels. We did, however, pass a most entertaining car fire as we entered into Florida. I felt a bit bad for the folks watching their car crisp up and even worse when we eventually passed the FD traveling north about 5 minutes later. What, amazingly, felt like a short seven-hour ride, we had arrived!
GPExportPhoto.jpg

We navigated our way from Western Way to MK’s main gate. Needless to say I was ready to get to the Poly. Here the DW nabbed a pic of me without knowing, it wouldn’t be the last she would get of me.
GOPR0123.jpg

GOPR0124.jpg

G0020129.jpg

Soon we were in the Poly’s lobby talking in the wonderful sights and smells.
20161019_121033.jpg

We made our way to the front desk to learn our room was not ready. We anticipated this and packed our bathing suits and some libations in a tote for an afternoon poolside before our early evening fastpasses. We made for our car and moved it to the DVC parking lot when we got the call…

lostpro9het

Original Poster
After some much enjoyed pool time we made our back to the bungalow to take advantage of that awesome bathtub before heading to the Poly lobby again to look around a bit. Knowing we had some Stitch juice coming I wanted to pick up something to mix with it…
GOPR0243.jpg

GOPR0245.jpg

GOPR0246.jpg

GOPR0247.jpg

GOPR0253.jpg

GOPR0254.jpg

On our way back I caught this guy perched before he took flight again:
GOPR0256.jpg

GOPR0257.jpg

GOPR0258.jpg

Once we got back we ordered our feast and set up camp on the back deck while waiting for it to arrive.
GOPR0261.jpg

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So if you followed along with the PTR you read that I found out about a special dining option exclusively for guests staying at the Poly. If you like ‘Ohana and want to experience it from your room then this is for you!
20161019_163103.jpg

I had been doing a lot of research leading up to this trip trying to decide if we should get two adult orders, one adult and one child, or just one adult order for this in room experience. Unfortunately, not many people out there seem to know that this offering exists!(even those that call this place home and even named their cats after the Poly....hmmm who could that be?) I could not get conclusive answers to what a portion amounted too. I had a feeling an adult and a child portion would suit us fine but when checking in I asked the CM her opinion. She was pretty clear that one adult portion contained a lot of food. I am so glad we asked her because what we received in our “one adult” serving was ridiculous! (sorry for the fuzzy pics :()
GPExportPhoto_1.jpg

GOPR0265.jpg

GOPR0264.jpg

GPExportPhoto-0001.jpg

GOPR0266.jpg

There was SOOOOOOO much food!!! We even had food left over. The bread pudding portion was the side of my head! I would begrudgingly have to congratulate the individual that finishes off this single serving of food because that would be quite the feat! I mean…..so much food for a single serving. Anyway, I left one item off and that would be the Stitch juice of course! They provide you with a pitcher of juice. Now here you will see the makings of my favorite Disney Cruise Line drink, invented by me…patent pending, The Castaway Cocktail. You will see plenty more of this mix when the boat pictures make their appearance. Anyhow, it’s a mix of POG juice and coconut rum in the ratio that suits your fancy ;):D
GOPR0268.jpg

We moved all the food to the back deck and enjoyed our feast until we could enjoy it no more…and still had food left over. Did I say there was a lot of food?
GOPR0269.jpg

Before our food comas could fully set in we did manage to make our way to the deck chairs with our CCs and just listened to the ferry boats motor by while waiting for wishes to make an appearance.

Still to come: Electric Water Pageant and Wishes.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
While we waited for Wishes we decided to call the DD up on the phone while watching The Great Pumpkin with Charlie Brown (I love having Space Mountain in the background!):
20161019_200048.jpg

So as I said, we opted to take in Wishes and the water pageant from our back deck. Here are a few videos and pics from the shows. Unfortunately the wishes show went long and got split into 2 clips and because of copyright claims I am not allowed to merge them in youtube so I apologize for Wishes getting split up.
20161019_210913.jpg

20161019_210842.jpg

20161019_210804.jpg

20161019_210550.jpg

GPExportPhoto-0003.jpg

GPExportPhoto-0002.jpg

Electric Water Pageant

Wishes pt1

Wishes pt2

After the shows were over we made for the monorail for an evening at MK. We took a very leisurely pace through the park only riding two rides! We were not terribly motivated to do a whole lot other than take in the visuals and unwind some more. If you can believe it, the entire time we were there I only snapped this one pic!!! I’ll chalk it up to being awake for 20 hours on 5 hours of sleep
GOPR0274.jpg

When we exited the parks we learned the Monorail was down, imagine that @Tuvalu. So we tool the boat to the Poly and went straight to bed!

Still to come: moving to AKL, meeting an old friend at EC ,and boarding The Dream!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
What a tough decision to go to bed. Even though i'm sure you were so tired, I would be worried that the dream would end and you would wake up in your boring standard room with a pizza box on your tiny table instead of your gorgeous bungalow with a pot sticker stuck to the side of the deck!!
It was a sad reality that we would have to a face eventually :cry:. I'm just soooo appreciative of the experience, as well as the timing, as I don't believe we would have ever banked/borrowed our DVC points to experience the bungalows.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after a wonderful night’s sleep we woke up to a beautiful morning. We set out for the back deck (in the robes they provide!) to enjoy some Joffrey's coffee and our morning staple of Entenmann's donuts…so good.
20161020_073235.jpg

20161020_073327.jpg

20161020_074023.jpg

20161020_074532.jpg

20161020_080137.jpg

Today’s agenda has us moving to AKL Kidani for a savanna room before making our way to EC for the afternoon. Then we have a dinner ADR at Sanaa before closing out the evening at AK for a nighttime safari. We decided to make this an early night since we had an early morning ahead of us.

Still to come: Beaker & Bunsen, the creator of the best fragrance ever, and some awesome food.

epcotisbest

Loved the pics of the bungalows. That is probably as close as we will ever get to the inside of one of those.
Speaking of Entenmann's, we had these for breakfast (OK, to go along with breakfast) recently during our stay for the Discovery Cove trip after you had mentioned Entenmann's make for a good breakfast treat to @Tuvalu ...very good. While not chocolate, these were quite good. Thanks for the suggestion.

entenmanns.jpg

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Loved the pics of the bungalows. That is probably as close as we will ever get to the inside of one of those.
Speaking of Entenmann's, we had these for breakfast (OK, to go along with breakfast) recently during our stay for the Discovery Cove trip after you had mentioned Entenmann's make for a good breakfast treat to @Tuvalu ...very good. While not chocolate, these were quite good. Thanks for the suggestion.

View attachment 173017
Oh, I would be all over those if I had seen them at Kroger or the Poly's shop! It would have been a box of Apple and a box of chocolate...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom