News Test Track to be reimagined

peter11435

Test Track re-imagining is not going to add capacity unless they add an additional attraction...So that may or may not even be part of the plan... Doing a 3 year refurb on Test Track will be lowering capacity for those three years...and the addition of Moana's Splash Pad just replaced Innoventions... Taking also into account that the Magic Eye Theater has been shuttered... and this spectacular re-imagining of EPCOT has not added any capacity...
Magic Eye Theater was not shuttered.

Rat was increased capacity

Guardians has higher utilization than Energy. So even though it’s technically lower capacity it carries more guests.

UNCgolf

Rat/France expansion and Space 220 added capacity.

Yeah, it has added capacity from what was there at the time -- a better statement would be that the park still has less capacity than it did in the early 1990s.

I also think the current attraction lineup is significantly worse than the attraction lineup of that time period, but that's subjective.

DisneyCane

Test Track re-imagining is not going to add capacity unless they add an additional attraction...So that may or may not even be part of the plan... Doing a 3 year refurb on Test Track will be lowering capacity for those three years...and the addition of Moana's Splash Pad just replaced Innoventions... Taking also into account that the Magic Eye Theater has been shuttered... and this spectacular re-imagining of EPCOT has not added any capacity...
Maybe they can add bumper cars to the Pavillion as part of "crash testing?" Bumper cars are electric so that would be "on theme" as well.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, it has added capacity from what was there at the time -- a better statement would be that the park still has less capacity than it did in the early 1990s.

I also think the current attraction lineup is significantly worse than the attraction lineup of that time period, but that's subjective.
I wonder what we’d discover if we compared actual utilized capacity at Epcot in the late ‘90s to today. Obviously, shuttering Wonders of Life and removing Innoventions diminished physical guest space but they weren’t particularly well-utilized. We all know they just needed updates, not removal, but I do wonder—were more guests wandering around aimlessly in the “boring” earlier Epcot (not my opinion but an opinion of many) or today? I get the impression that recent additions to Epcot are generally popular.

Once the money faucet opens up in October, I’d hope Wonders of Life will move toward reopening with an updated concept from Play. That’s something that could actually open pretty quickly. Between the blazing hot summer last year and very rainy fall and winter, that indoor space would’ve been nice. A more organized company would’ve coordinated it reopening with Inside Out 2.

TTA94

There are some potential entertainment updates. But remember, he’s speaking of all six of their resorts. Paris, for example, has a forthcoming expansion that would be included. There may be some more low hanging fruit among Magic Kingdom Classics…

Can you comment further on the potential entertainment updates and where?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I wonder what we’d discover if we compared actual utilized capacity at Epcot in the late ‘90s to today. Obviously, shuttering Wonders of Life and removing Innoventions diminished physical guest space but they weren’t particularly well-utilized. We all know they just needed updates, not removal, but I do wonder—were more guests wandering around aimlessly in the “boring” earlier Epcot (not my opinion but an opinion of many) or today? I get the impression that recent additions to Epcot are generally popular.

Once the money faucet opens up in October, I’d hope Wonders of Life will move toward reopening with an updated concept from Play. That’s something that could actually open pretty quickly. Between the blazing hot summer last year and very rainy fall and winter, that indoor space would’ve been nice. A more organized company would’ve coordinated it reopening with Inside Out 2.

I think late 90s is significantly different than early 90s when it comes to EPCOT. I don't think there was much under-utilized capacity then; everything there was pretty popular.

As for Play -- I hope it doesn't open quickly, because I'd prefer to see them completely rethink it and use that space for something much better. It also feels like Communicore Hall is going to at least partially fill the role they originally envisioned for Play with meet and greet space etc.

Haymarket2008

There are some potential entertainment updates. But remember, he’s speaking of all six of their resorts. Paris, for example, has a forthcoming expansion that would be included. There may be some more low hanging fruit among Magic Kingdom Classics…

I would imagine that Small World, Peter Pan and Big Thunder are being eyed....

Fingers crossed for Carousel of Progress to get love like Country Bears are getting.

(Side note: Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Buzz are looking ROUGH.)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

From what I recall of 80's/early 90's EPCOT Center, people were not wandering around aimlessly. People would generally go to SSE first, and then break to one side or the other, moving from pavilion to pavilion. Then they would stop in either Communicore, be that for a food/beverage break, taking in the actual exhibits in those buildings, or just sitting for a while and watching the fountain show, and then moving on to other pavilions before moving onto World Showcase. If you watch old EPCOT Center videos, you'll see people lined up at pretty much every pavilion, including the ones deemed "boring" by those with either no experience with EPCOT Center or those with the attention span (and potentially intellect) of a gnat.

The Land pavilion, in particular, was a master class in guest flow. It was designed to have guests enter and go to the right (the natural way people tend to move, for some reason), watch Symbiosis, proceed down the escalator to Listen to the Land, proceed then to Kitchen Kabaret, and finally having a bite to eat at The Farmer's Market (or proceeding up the escalator to The Land Grille) before leaving the pavilion. There was a flow to that pavilion and its message that was brilliantly designed by those who built it.

I won't believe the talk about 'the money faucet opening up in October' until I see it. I remain, as always, skeptical.

the_rich

Could they possibly do something with apple and the vision pro?

_caleb

The problem with Test Track is the existing corporate sponsorship. I’d love to see WDI swing for the fences with a big idea and if GM doesn’t like it, maybe they should turn to Kia or an electric car company I won’t name here.

_caleb

peter11435

Peter, could you explain this please?
Let’s say attraction A has a capacity of 2000 guests an hour and attraction B has a capacity of 1200. Attraction B obviously has a lower capacity than attraction A. But if attraction A has lost popularity and only experiences 50% utilization then it’s only accommodating 1000 while attraction B is experiencing 100% utilization accommodating 1200. So while A has higher capacity, B is actually carrying more guests and benefiting the park more.

Mickeynerd17

Let’s say attraction A has a capacity of 2000 guests an hour and attraction B has a capacity of 1200. Attraction B obviously has a lower capacity than attraction A. But if attraction A has lost popularity and only experiences 50% utilization then it’s only accommodating 1000 while attraction B is experiencing 100% utilization accommodating 1200. So while A has higher capacity, B is actually carrying more guests and benefiting the park more.
That's how an attraction like Cosmic Rewind can have a higher capacity than Energy. Operationally, I'm pretty sure energy could move more people per hour, but most of the time the middle 2 theater cars weren't even used due to lost popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom