News Test Track to be reimagined

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
2026 or 2027 is my guess for a opening. Depending on how extensive the redo will be.
Yep that would seem a reasonable guess at this point. It sounded like they are very early on in the development process. So assuming it's all worked out in the next year, they could start this early 2025 for an opening in late 26, or early 27. Wow that sounds far off.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
My guess (and I apologize if this was brought up before as I didn’t read through all 9 pages) is that they’ll be pushing autonomous vehicles in a big way as the next evolution of transportation/motion. They’ll frame it as a way to enjoy the “ride” more with friends and family as well as helping with mobility issues of older adults. Many of my patients are GM and Chevy engineers and execs and they fell that autonomy will be bigger than EVs when it comes to adoption.
GM's already invested pretty heavily into AVs in their partnership with Honda at Cruise, as well as with Supercruise.

erasure fan1

2026 or 2027 is my guess for a opening. Depending on how extensive the redo will be.
I'd say closer to 2042 based on current Disney building trends. :cautious:

This is one of the few times I'm actually happy about a retheme. I am in the test track 2.0 was a very mediocre redo. So hopefully they can capture the spirit of WoM with the excitement of the test track ride system. If so you could end up with a great balance of the old and new. I'm still not sold on current management being able to accomplish it. But maybe with the GM sponsorship that helps it.

Earlie the Pearlie

I'd say closer to 2042 based on current Disney building trends. :cautious:
I think that since GM is bankrolling it they (and Disney) will want a tight turnaround to get their message out to as many guests as possible.

As for all of the debate about cars on this forum, perhaps we need a pavilion to teach us something about it 😉

celluloid

I think that since GM is bankrolling it they (and Disney) will want a tight turnaround to get their message out to as many guests as possible.

As for all of the debate about cars on this forum, perhaps we need a pavilion to teach us something about it 😉

The last change took under a year. First version of the ride closed in April and the new version opened December of 2012.It will be interesting. Hoping this one is more substantial and not just adding fully realized trees and new projections.

doctornick

Does this mean we’ll be hearing It’s Fun to be Free and we’ll be seeing classic cars?

Honestly, my low expectation hope is a return of It's Fun to be Free, which is one of the great classic Epcot songs and it would be cool to have it back. Even if that is the extent of the homage to WoM, I'd be happy - though I'd love to see some of the historical scenes/gags as well.

TheIceBaron

If it means getting more ride updates (or just having pavilions open in general like WoL) I’d prefer if they sought out more sponsorships for attractions. I know Disney doesn’t like to give up control on certain things, but certainly giving up SOME control is worth it to keep Epcot specifically fresher and thus boost guest spending and attendance.

Disstevefan1

The last change took under a year. First version of the ride closed in April and the new version opened December of 2012.It will be interesting. Hoping this one is more substantial and not just adding fully realized trees and new projections.
I hope it’s just the opposite. Superficial changes in the ride, in the after ride show room area pull out the ICE cars roll in the EVs and reopen ASAP. This attraction is a true people eater.

erasure fan1

The last change took under a year. First version of the ride closed in April and the new version opened December of 2012
And boy did it show in the quality of the overlay. If when Disney announces the closing and approximate reopen time, if its a year and a half or less, that's a bad sign. Should they be able to do something great in a year or so? Of course. But we have a pretty good idea of how long things take with Disney.

SilentWindODoom

If it means getting more ride updates (or just having pavilions open in general like WoL) I’d prefer if they sought out more sponsorships for attractions. I know Disney doesn’t like to give up control on certain things, but certainly giving up SOME control is worth it to keep Epcot specifically fresher and thus boost guest spending and attendance.

Umm... Yes... Sadly since the dawning of the New Millennium almost everyone but GM has decided that it's not worth it and vacated quickly or cheaped out. This failure is catastrophic and the genesis of a lot of current trends in the park and it seems to be the climax of this season of Defunctland if the small detour episodes didn't keep snowballing into huge projects. If it was that easy, it would be great, but I'm sure they've sought and it just ain't there.

As for the other conversation, I haven't been outside of the Starcruiser, Tron, and Journey of Water threads in a couple years now. I saw the EV conversation broached lightly in Tron and the small detours tamped down. WOW!!! Now I know why. Holy crap.

ron burgundy GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom