Test Track refurb???

Slowjack

The canopy is ugly and doesn't match the style of the rest of the building. The color and such doesn't really make a difference. I don't really buy the "comfort of those waiting" argument. Maybe that's what being said, but I don't buy it. If was standing around there for long I'd do into the post show area where it's air-conditioned. Plus there are lots of places with more people hanging around without ugly canopies--in front of RnRR, for example.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as bad as the Wand or the BAH, it's doesn't detract from my enjoyment. But it's ugly.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The problem is, there's many better ways to create a canopy above the entrance without making it still seem like an all too permanent scaffolding party.

Why not create a smaller one that wraps around toward the exit/vehicle display area, so those who are standing out of the sun/rain, or those exiting are in the shade?

The Empress Lilly

That scaffold belongs to the industrial look of TT, whose goal it was to create a loud, harsh, industrial environment. TT and its entrance were not ugly by mistake, but by purpose.

I had hoped that the new sleek design would clean up the post-apocalyptic industrial wasteland that TT turned this area of FW into. Sadly, not.

I don't really buy the "comfort of those waiting" argument. Maybe that's what being said, but I don't buy it. If was standing around there for long I'd do into the post show area where it's air-conditioned.
Exactly. The way to take care of the chickens is to add a sign directing them to the post-show area, where one has placed comfortable benches for them to rest and enjoy the fun entertainment offerings while the people in their party ride.

Who lets people wait outside underneath a forty foot high scaffold?

The Empress Lilly

The building has a gorgeous design, beautiful and functional at once. Its form followed its function. It already sheltered people while they waited. It did this while maintaining a sleek, futuristic look. A Disney futurism at that: warm, humane, optimistic.
The addition of that cheap, industrial scaffold which the Imagineers nicked at night from that Kissimee construction site is not a solution, but the creation of a problem for which there was a perfect solution already:
motionoutsidenight.jpg
motionoutsideflowers.jpg
Compared to this, a construction site scaffold to shelter people is a laugh, designers taking the . Or having to work with a budget that was scaled back too much for a meaningful overhaul.​

NoChesterHester

The building has a gorgeous design, beautiful and functional at once. Its form followed its function. It already sheltered people while they waited. It did this while maintaining a sleek, futuristic look. A Disney futurism at that: warm, humane, optimistic.
The addition of that cheap, industrial scaffold which the Imagineers nicked at night from that Kissimee construction site is not a solution, but the creation of a problem for which there was a perfect solution already:
motionoutsidenight.jpg
motionoutsideflowers.jpg
Compared to this, a construction site scaffold to shelter people is a laugh, designers taking the . Or having to work with a budget that was scaled back too much for a meaningful overhaul.​

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this.

Here's what it looked like 10/16:

EeOfz.jpg

And 3000 pixels wide: http://i.minus.com/irA0EdlgwIlNm.jpg

I take a picture just about every time I ride by on the monorail. This was as many people as I've seen working out front. No clue what the inside looks like, but I mentioned before, they were cycling cars outside every 5 - 7 minutes it seemed like in the evening.

FWE1982

While it is true that it isn't the prettiest thing ever, as someone who has worked at Test Track for the last ten years, I like it. When it's raining outside it gives us a nice dry place to stand. When it's sunny, we (most of the time) have shade. Are there better solutions? Sure. However, I'm still glad we have something here.

As far as the inside, it will look amazing. Just wait and see. :)

aladdin2007

While it is true that it isn't the prettiest thing ever, as someone who has worked at Test Track for the last ten years, I like it. When it's raining outside it gives us a nice dry place to stand. When it's sunny, we (most of the time) have shade. Are there better solutions? Sure. However, I'm still glad we have something here.

That gives me enough hope to overlook the monstrosity of the outside, but still, the scaffoloding party as it is called in a couple posts above, is still umbecoming and well they just like Epcot to be unbecoming sometimes, aka SSE, Imagination, ill stop there.

The Empress Lilly

I'm very optimistic about the inside. The concept art looks great by default, by basic stylistic design. Even with the nervous rumours about substantial budget cuts having happened along the way I think the ride will end up much better than before.

As for TT CM's enjoying getting some shade beneath the scaffold: no CM at WoM ever got either wet or hot or cold, ever. They all worked in perfectly controlled environment. That was thirty years ago. Today, they have to shelter underneath a third world canopy to seek some shade.

DznyRktekt

motionoutsidenight.jpg
motionoutsideflowers.jpg

I really miss this. It was whimsical and elegant. World of Motion and Horizons were the first places my family visited each time in the 80's/90's. That said, I am excited to see the reboot of a futuristic Test Track.

muteki

Exactly. The way to take care of the chickens is to add a sign directing them to the post-show area, where one has placed comfortable benches for them to rest and enjoy the fun entertainment offerings while the people in their party ride.

Who lets people wait outside underneath a forty foot high scaffold?

Bingo. Indoors, seating, right where the rest of your party would exit. Heck, there might even be something entertaining in there. And this wouldn't cost a dime! Oh, but they would have to pay the bill to remove the scaffolding...nah let's just leave it up.

Skyway

Not that I am sticking up for GM...but they should be ed about the sponsor lounge view of the park being blocked by this monstrosity.

The GM lounge exterior view is now almost entirely taken up by the track looping past the window. There are also interior windows that overlooked the large, open Test Track "warehouse". I wonder if the new interior set pieces will block that view now?
And were there interior windows in the WoM days? If so, what did they overlook?

ExtinctJenn

I was kind of hoping part of the refurb would include removing the streel structure and canopy in favor of returning the focus of the exterior to it's "wheel" shape. I don't hate the potentially new canopy but I am disappointed that it's there in general. I at least like it better than the old one. :)

The outside track is well below the lounge windows and does not block any view into the park...it's the canopy that does all the blocking.
I've actually seen video taken from the lounge since the "old" canopy went up and it's not too horrible of a view. Yes the canopy is there but you can still see out the windows just fine. :)

muteki

The GM lounge exterior view is now almost entirely taken up by the track looping past the window. There are also interior windows that overlooked the large, open Test Track "warehouse". I wonder if the new interior set pieces will block that view now?
And were there interior windows in the WoM days? If so, what did they overlook?

The bottom set of windows were added with TT and closed off that previously open entrance-way. In the pictures above from WoM, you can see the lower set isn't there.

Rasvar

I am bracing myself that this refit will be of the Imagination 2.0 variety. I have lost all faith in WDW management to do a refurb of an attraction and not screw it up royally.

Mickey_777

I have a feeling that big ol' double T won't be out in front of the canopy when all is said and done. But if it is, it's no uglier or nicer than before. Meh I guess. I'm more worried about what's inside.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wonder....was the monstrosity originally only built to be there before Test Track actually opened? Remember it was delayed for 2 years and went over budget, perhaps it was going to be removed back then but never was, and now it remains?

I do remember quite well that it was a large "billboard" for the attraction before it opened.

ExtinctJenn

Come to think of it my mind could be playing tricks on me, but I don't remember the roof section being there during that delay...I kind of think it was just the two front sections with the banners on them for advertisement.
This is a shot from 1998 (original construction). Looks like it's being put up in the shot actually so you may be right that it was added later in the construction.

ttprevlftconstr.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom