Test Track refurb???

c-one

The giant, tacky "TT" logo makes the attraction look like the worst Teen Titans secret headquarters ever.
But it beats the amateurish billboard look the old canopy had... Three steps backward (with the original canopy), one forward.

Really expected (maybe wishfully) that the entire thing would be gone given TT2.0's "futuristic" direction. That building in all its 1981 glory is still vastly more futuristic on its own, without the temporary-concert-stage-at-the-state-fair scaffolding tacked on the front. What a mystifying call.

bubbles1812

The giant, tacky "TT" logo makes the attraction look like the worst Teen Titans secret headquarters ever.

Your comment cracked me up and reminded me of my love for this when I was younger:

Good show :) I do agree they would be ashamed of the giant TT logo. Not that a giant tower in the shape of a T is any more subtle ;)

Clamman73

What would be cool though is if the big TT on the front of the canopy was outlined in a blue LED strip that you would see at night time.

The Empress Lilly

Really expected (maybe wishfully) that the entire thing would be gone given TT2.0's "futuristic" direction. That building in all its 1981 glory is still vastly more futuristic on its own, without the temporary-concert-stage-at-the-state-fair scaffolding tacked on the front. What a mystifying call.
Mystifying...indeed. That's the right word. Surely this would've been the opportunity to restore the pavilion into the grandeur and elegance of its basic design.

Here's a fun read about our subject:
http://www.parkeology.com/2012/07/world-of-motion-grand-staircase.html

In 1982, every Future World pavilion was a like a Kardashian: Simple in mind, and possessing its own bold, unique shape. Every design was a carefully considered echo of its pavilion theme. Shells for the Living Seas. The Wheel for World of Motion. Male Pattern Baldness for Wonders of Life.
Then, around 1994, Innoventions arrived and plunged Epcot into the Dark Ages. Beautiful, iconic shapes were just not hip and edgy enough, and these stunning pieces of architecture were either shuttered (Wonders of Life), demolished (Horizons), or made to wear the millennium equivalent of Aunt Clara’s pink bunny costume from A Christmas Story (Spaceship Earth).
World of Motion was not immune to the changes. Test Track ushered in “Epcot’s first thrill ride!” and with it came drastic changes to the pristine wheel-shaped structure. A high-speed loop encircled the building like a strand of barb wire. An ugly tent monster sprung up over the entrance, where a kinetic bank of FastPass machines and Single-Rider marquees welcomed guests into a hammering queue area, complete with sadistic Crash Dummy torture, squealing tire sounds, and an automatic seat cushion squasher that simulates the squirming pressure of a million butt cheeks.
Simple and elegant it was not.

bubbles1812

I guess I'm getting old, I've never even heard of Teen Titans

The Teen Titans themselves have been around quite along time. Using wikipedia for this but it says they were first introduced in 1964. The weren't that popular though til their 1980s revival. The youtube clip I posted was from a tv show that aired on cartoon network from 2003 to 2006 based on the comics. It was a really well done funny show IMO. Robin is generally the leader of the Teen Titans.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming about Test Track...

montyz81

I can't believe there isn't one picture of the inside of this pavilion during construction. I can't believe this is that good that they have tight security around picture taking. The track hasn't changed at all so it isn't like the experience is going to be that drastically different.

Rasvar

Mystifying...indeed. That's the right word. Surely this would've been the opportunity to restore the pavilion into the grandeur and elegance of its basic design.

Here's a fun read about our subject:
http://www.parkeology.com/2012/07/world-of-motion-grand-staircase.html

In 1982, every Future World pavilion was a like a Kardashian: Simple in mind, and possessing its own bold, unique shape. Every design was a carefully considered echo of its pavilion theme. Shells for the Living Seas. The Wheel for World of Motion. Male Pattern Baldness for Wonders of Life.
Then, around 1994, Innoventions arrived and plunged Epcot into the Dark Ages. Beautiful, iconic shapes were just not hip and edgy enough, and these stunning pieces of architecture were either shuttered (Wonders of Life), demolished (Horizons), or made to wear the millennium equivalent of Aunt Clara’s pink bunny costume from A Christmas Story (Spaceship Earth).
World of Motion was not immune to the changes. Test Track ushered in “Epcot’s first thrill ride!” and with it came drastic changes to the pristine wheel-shaped structure. A high-speed loop encircled the building like a strand of barb wire. An ugly tent monster sprung up over the entrance, where a kinetic bank of FastPass machines and Single-Rider marquees welcomed guests into a hammering queue area, complete with sadistic Crash Dummy torture, squealing tire sounds, and an automatic seat cushion squasher that simulates the squirming pressure of a million butt cheeks.
Simple and elegant it was not.

I'm still trying to get over the idea that the word Kardashian was used in a positive context. That takes a lot of work to conjure.

jdmdisney99

Does anybody else think that the "All In The Details" articles on DPB will continue after NFL? If they keep building stuff or redoing it I think they will. Thoughts?

eddy21

I can't believe there isn't one picture of the inside of this pavilion during construction. I can't believe this is that good that they have tight security around picture taking. The track hasn't changed at all so it isn't like the experience is going to be that drastically different.
You sign a confidentiality agreement when you get hired at Disney. No pictures backstage

Atomicmickey

We will know soon enough . . . hoping for at least a couple "how did they do that" moments,
and a return of some of that old EPCOT future optimism . . .

ExtinctJenn

I have two big hopes coming into this:

1) That they've put the walls up well and reduced the amount of bleeding over from one scene to another (the fact that you could always see the scene you were coming to or had left drove me bonkers on this).
2) The "sim car" concept is well done and something that will be fun and not just another "skipable" feature.

The Empress Lilly

From the concept art the inside will look lame anyway just abunch of cardboard walls that have fiberoptic lighting in them and some flats.
If properly used, that could totally work.

It's theater, it's show. It is all about façades and fake backgrounds, all of WDW.
nixweiss.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom