Test Track refurb???

c-one

This mutual inspiration, close cooperation between outside designers and WDI is not a criticism of either one. Far from it, it is what EPCOT, at least the Theme Center if not the city, is all about. A permanent world's fair, a showcase for (American) industry. Pavilions designed in close cooperation with industry.

For however much I admire the design of TT2, the regret remains that EPCOT should present a vision of its own. EPCOT has a mission, a vocation of its own, one more encompassing than selling advertissements. 'Motion', or even the less abstract 'transportation' are a better subject for EPCOT than 'car design'. TT, even TT2, is a post show. It belongs in CommuniCore/Innoventions, not as a self-sustaining pavilion. It is Sum of all Thrills more than it is WoM.
I think this is a really good point and something for people to keep in mind when discussing how Test Track 2.0 is "classic Epcot." I'm judging TT2.0 on its own merits, but the days of classic Epcot are long over. With perhaps the exception of Spaceship Earth, none of the current Future World rides display that kind of intellectual honesty. I've ranted before about the counterproductive, backwards thinking that's core to Universe of Energy's Exxon-sponsored conceit (with a minimum of reference to solar/wind/etc.), and I think that's present here too. This is a piece of marketing balanced on the idea that Chevrolet will be more relevant than ever in the future. Will that be true? I'm not so sure...

One absolute piece of the future that's present in Test Tracks 1.0 and 2.0, though? Self-driving cars. ;)

Thrill Seeker

Test Track is soft open for cast and their guests. I rode twice. Entire post show is open but racing portion is not running. Gift shop has merch for the ride and I baught a shirt. Lots of people were taking pics, so I took a few myself...

wedenterprises

Holy crap!! It looks unreal. That video will never do the real thing justice so I can only imagine how much better it is in person.

Love the crazy lights, projections and effects. Totally impressed. To me, this ride is now much more "Epcot".

Funny how the outdoor portion is now going to feel strange compared to the rest.

beyondyou

It looks amazing! This is how you do a proper refurb.

Only 2 concerns

-Like others have said that outside should have been updated as well(if it hasn't been). It looks out of place compared to the rest of the attraction
-There appears to be SO many effects going on...my realistic side can only wonder how long until they start to go down and TDO leaves them broken forever

MerlinTheGoat

Aye. While nothing will ever replace the great World of Motion, this is most definitely an absolutely massive improvement over the original Test Track. It's just plain cool overall. And it definitely reminds me of classic Epcot for some reason. Especially reminds me of the old Spaceship Earth '94 descent scenes and similar elements from other such classic rides. Very Tron like as well, and that's great because I love the visuals in those films. Looks like GM's investment paid off indeed!

I'm also not a big fan of screen-heavy attractions with no set pieces or animatronics. But it actually works pretty darn well here. Not that the ride couldn't use them but it looks great regardless (it didn't really have any sets or AA's in the first place as Test Track so it's a huge improvement over what was there). Interesting that the weakest part of the attraction now is actually the outside part. Shame it can't be enclosed and themed like the rest of the ride, it takes you out of the immersion that is within...

LorangeJuice

Funny how the outdoor portion is now going to feel strange compared to the rest.

Oh, you don't know...?! That's the tribute to TT 1.0! ;)

Sorry...I just couldn't resist. I'm just so giddy right now after watching the ride videos. It's like that moment when you realize that you are going to get back what you've been longing for for a really long time. The future has come back to a part of Future World!

I'm on a dark ride of emotion right now! :p

No, but seriously. I think I might call in sick on Thursday and make the grand opening...

dreamscometrue

Does anyone think that, with wonderful TT reviews, other sponsors might be inspired to put money into pavillions? For example, would Siemens or Disney think "a bit of money into SSE decent, and we might have another attraction getting praise and positive attention"?

Clamman73

Questions for those who've ridden it:

Do you ever see any other cars during the ride inside?

Can you see the scanner effect that surrounds you for the eco-scan aero efficiency?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I can't embed it but here is a working video... I will post more as I come across it.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/9fazpqocybcplphsvzjdctliz

EDIT: more pictures...

A9DT3EQCIAAspXY.jpg

media

A9Dt0tzCAAE0fV-.jpg

WDWFREAK53

Test Track is soft open for cast and their guests. I rode twice. Entire post show is open but racing portion is not running. Gift shop has merch for the ride and I baught a shirt. Lots of people were taking pics, so I took a few myself...

My mother is down there and got a chance to ride it (My cousin is a CM).

She said, "I just rode Test Track and they changed the whole thing. It's more digital and computery looking." LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom