Test Track refurb???

the-reason14

That's not true at all. You're naming park staples. Of course they aren't going anywhere. Some people have talked about how HM and POTC don't have lines. Should we board those up, too?

You keep saying if it was worth while it would have gotten a refurb. That's not true. They needed a sonsor and a sponsor wanted a new ride = They pay money, they got their new ride. Toad was a popular ride. And it was taken out.

And I don't see the appeal of M:S. Sorry, I just don't. I don't see the love for it anywhere. I don't see everyone rushing from the gates to ride it. I know that's not a great way to judge it, but since I'm having the "size of the line" logic thrown at me... And considering the ride systems, it better have bigger lines than Horizons. :lookaroun

I know people think of it as a thrill ride... And I know it has it's fans. And I appreciate that. I even appreciate the potential it had. Fully realized, maybe it would have been different, then again, maybe not. But still, I don't see this great appeal you're talking about.

Fwiw, M:S has operated with empty cars. From what I gather, a lot of the time they're operating just 2 M:S vehicles instead of all four. So I guess that settles it. It needs to be shut down. I saw some empty cars on SSE once, better do it in... Heck I rode Living With The Land once and that boat was only half filled. Better get rid of it, too :animwink:

I think the difference between the rides you mentioned is that they're only deserted at certain times. Pirates usually has lengthy lines except at night. Same could be said for HM and pretty much any ride if you go at certain times. I don't think Horizons was ever really a draw. But the only basis of comparison between it and M:S is the space they both occupied. Both M:S and Horizons were unique, but M:S is a better experience and that makes it more appealing. It's not the most popular attraction in the park, but it fits and it does it's job well. It could use an update and maybe add some interactive elements, but the experience is what makes it appealing.

wdwjmp239

I'm sure there's another Disney forum somewhere on the internet where people are responding to this news every other post with "MY VACATION IS RUINED!"

MY VACATION IS RUINED!!! :(

Ahhh.. I've been on Test Track so many times since it opened that I'm sure it could stand a good cleaning & refurbishing. :)

Prototype82

I know it's so crazy. Something needs to change at WDI. I forgot to post I work at the Loews hotels at Universal and we have been at 90% or above occupancy since the beginning of March. I have hopes WDW will respond to this with a headliner attraction in the next few years. Also the latest rumours going around the hotel and universal are that the expansion is set to begin in late 2012. Opening in mid 2014. Sorry for getting sidetracked I just figured people would like to know the latest rumours going around universal.

This rumor makes me one very happy Hufflepuff. Thank you for sharing this.

Scuttle

This rumor makes me one very happy Hufflepuff. Thank you for sharing this.

I was also just told yesterday that Loews is going to be building another hotel on property as well. WDW is going to have to respond to this. It's supposedly going to be a 1,000+ room hotel. Every time I hear stuff like this it's gets me so excited to see what WDW will do.

Scuttle

quirkle

The more rooms they have the less incentives they can offer to onsite guests.

I would love to see an overhaul to Future World - Bring back WOL - kids love Science and there have been some talk on the forums about that being a perfect place for a Marvel tie-in with mutation

Imagination - please dear god bring this back to its glory days - this is the most depressing place.:(

M:S - would not miss it

Test Track - my daughters tell people. "My Mom drives faster than this" this needs to be ramped up big time

The Seas - they can keep Nemo but really need to bring back the Sea-lab aspect - the actual ride was never really thrilled so the Nemo angle realy doesnt effect much.

The Land - pretty ok though I would like to see the food improved.:shrug:

Imagination does seriously need an update.... I heard something a while ago about improvements on the table, but no details were disclosed...

Now for Test Track, I can see how the ride might need a major referb. I know that every time that I have ridden it lately the interior of the cars looks a little too scuffed....

Pioneer Hall

I was also just told yesterday that Loews is going to be building another hotel on property as well. WDW is going to have to respond to this. It's supposedly going to be a 1,000+ room hotel. Every time I hear stuff like this it's gets me so excited to see what WDW will do.

Well NBCUniversal does have a former theme park head at it's helm now, so I would expect them to do everything they can to compete. They definitely have the right management team in place to do this and do it well.

I know that, but I'm saying WDW needs to respond with a headliner to convince people to stay on property. They have PLENTY of hotel rooms. Plus at Loews you get the express pass free, which as much as I hate to say it, blows fastpass out of the water and gives way more incentive for people to stay on property. Just saying that WDW needs a Bigtime headliner.

If what you say is true about a new resort, then I could possibly see the Express Pass benefit changing. More rooms and higher attendance would seem to make it more difficult for them to allow people to continue to use this. We will see what happens as it all plays out over the next few days.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
Well NBCUniversal does have a former theme park head at it's helm now, so I would expect them to do everything they can to compete. They definitely have the right management team in place to do this and do it well.

If what you say is true about a new resort, then I could possibly see the Express Pass benefit changing. More rooms and higher attendance would seem to make it more difficult for them to allow people to continue to use this. We will see what happens as it all plays out over the next few days.

They may just allow onsite guests to use FOTL and not sell the express pass to the public.

anonDisney

The imagineering that went into M:S is only a fraction of that of Horizons. As complex as M:S is, there really is nothing to the ride in terms of imagineering. It is a big centrifuge with a pivot at the end. It is a carnival ride with a video screen. I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again. There is not one ride of the original Epcot Center that ever did that to me!

You criticize Mission Space for its supposed lack of imagineering, yet the ride you praise highly for imagineering was a simple, basic people-mover with animatronic displays.

Disney should be praised for trying something new and whether you want to admit it or not, it is much more advanced imagineering than Horizons.

I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again. There is not one ride of the original Epcot Center that ever did that to me!

Why does that matter? Many people get sick on other rides like Tea Cups and roller coasters. Should they not be built? Is Disney not permitted to push limits and try new things?

Mission Space is a great ride because it allows people to experience something that they normally wouldn't and it pushes people's limits. As others have said, it has also inspired kids in regards to space and space travel which is something Walt Disney would definitely approve of.

While I understand that people loved Horizons and miss it, it absolutely shocks me that people would rather get rid of a ride like Mission Space and replace it with something like Horizons again.

I'm not saying that Mission Space is a perfect ride. Sure changes could be made. I would love to be able to learn more about past/current/future space travel while waiting in line. But overall, I think the ride is a great fit for Epcot.

Epcot-FutureWorld is supposed to be about what the future holds for mankind and the latest and greatest technology. Space travel, without a doubt, greatly envelops both of those ideals and having a whole pavillion devoted to such makes perfect sense.

NoChesterHester

You criticize Mission Space for its supposed lack of imagineering, yet the ride you praise highly for imagineering was a simple, basic people-mover with animatronic displays.

I'm not saying that Mission Space is a perfect ride. Sure changes could be made. I would love to be able to learn more about past/current/future space travel while waiting in line. But overall, I think the ride is a great fit for Epcot.

Epcot-FutureWorld is supposed to be about what the future holds for mankind and the latest and greatest technology. Space travel, without a doubt, greatly envelops both of those ideals and having a whole pavillion devoted to such makes perfect sense.

I whole heartedly agree with your first comment, Mission Space is absolutely one of the most creative and innovative ride systems ever devised for a theme park. It is the execution of the overall experience that many of us have an issue with. We all knew that Horizon's was dated. We were also promised something even more grand when it shuttered...

Mission Space absolutely could have been my absolute favorite attraction anywhere. It isn't. I had really high hopes, and it isn't that I dislike it. It is as so many have put it, just almost awesome.

This is where my love for innovation and advancement is at odds with my love for the immersive story I have come to expect from a Disney Park. Horizons had the grand vision, the story, and encapsulated the hope of a great future. Mission Space, while newer, captures the thrill and hope... of a training mission.

Mission Space is no more a space "pavilion" then Splash Mountain is a museum of the deep south. It is a ride. We had so much more hope. A pavilion has more to it then a ride and post show game area. We all wanted the space pavilion we were promised.

My two cents...

anonDisney

It is the execution of the overall experience that many of us have an issue with.
I would love to hear more about this (though perhaps you sort of already answered with the rest of your comments).

This is where my love for innovation and advancement is at odds with my love for the immersive story I have come to expect from a Disney Park. Mission Space, while newer, captures the thrill and hope... of a training mission.
I've been on it many times and come away with the feeling of having traveled in space to Mars, not merely trained for it. But regardless, is that such a bad thing getting to experience a simulation of how astronauts might train? People complain about that fact, but I don't see why it's a bad thing.

Mission Space is no more a space "pavilion" then Splash Mountain is a museum of the deep south. It is a ride. We had so much more hope. A pavilion has more to it then a ride and post show game area. We all wanted the space pavilion we were promised.

This is a very good and valid point and one that you've made me realize I agree with (and even briefly talked about without realizing it). Do you have more info on what was promised?

misterID

There was supposed to be a dark ride in the space pavilion that simulated a space walk and gave you control of your ride vehicle.

And even the original idea of M:S was cool, where it would have been an actual mission to Mars, with your vehicle breaking down in space and an astronaut would show up and fix it, shining a flashlight into your craft. It was going to be more like 2001 A Space Odyssey than a training mission. It was a very cool idea.

Eddie Soto, the former WDI who posts here (he has his own thread) actually came up with the original ideas for M:S.

I whole heartedly agree with your first comment, Mission Space is absolutely one of the most creative and innovative ride systems ever devised for a theme park. It is the execution of the overall experience that many of us have an issue with. We all knew that Horizon's was dated. We were also promised something even more grand when it shuttered...

Mission Space absolutely could have been my absolute favorite attraction anywhere. It isn't. I had really high hopes, and it isn't that I dislike it. It is as so many have put it, just almost awesome.

This is where my love for innovation and advancement is at odds with my love for the immersive story I have come to expect from a Disney Park. Horizons had the grand vision, the story, and encapsulated the hope of a great future. Mission Space, while newer, captures the thrill and hope... of a training mission.

My two cents...

Perfectly stated.

FWIW, Just the "yesterday's visions of tomorrow" segment of Horizons was way more entertaining than most disney dark rides.

Scuttle

Ya I could see it changing a bit to. I bet it would just change from unlimited front of the line access to limited. Myabe something like you can only use it for the same attraction once. I dunno, anyway from what I have been told the past few weeks, a new resort has been greelit and it is going to be BIG. Also there is an agreement will Rowling to expand HP and take over the rest of the Lost Continent. Now take these with a grain of salt because they are just rumors going around the resort I work at. But if these are true then WDW will be doing something HUGE to respond.

baymenxpac

Yeah, well TDO's last HUGE response was the original FLE (with FLE 2.0 being a significant improvement, in my book). So, as much as I hope you're right, TDO's recent track record isn't so good.

to be fair, it's been debunked by lee and others that FLE was a response to potter. FLE was in the works long before potter.

just chiming in on the M:S debate: i don't mind it. i think it's worthwhile to ride IF it slots in easily with my plans for the day. but i didn't ride it this past trip because it bothers my wife's stomach, and quite frankly, i didn't miss it one bit. for a ride that's only seven or eight years old, that shouldn't be happening. i don't think i should say, "eh, if i get to it, i get to it" on what was billed as a headline, e-ticket level attraction. and i don't think i'm alone in that, because when we did do future world that morning, by about 10:00 AM there was a 65 minute wait for soarin', a 45 minute wait for test track and a 20 minute wait for M:S. call it anecdotal, but i raised an eyebrow at it.

Scuttle

Yeah, well TDO's last HUGE response was the original FLE (with FLE 2.0 being a significant improvement, in my book). So, as much as I hope you're right, TDO's recent track record isn't so good.

I was going to say FLE 2.0 is not the response to potter it was altered because of capacity issues. The meet and greet would have been horrible for capacity issues. The mine train will be a good people eater compared to what was planned. From what I've heard this is the ONLY reason the plans changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom