Test Track refurb???

hpyhnt 1000

I still don't get why everyone is so anti-Cars theme. I mean, it doesn't really make sense at Epcot, of course. But as a ride, I think it would be nice. Carsland at California Adventure is going to be pretty great.

You just answered why just about everyone is against a Cars overlay to Test Track. To provide another example, Monsters, Inc is about generating power from laughs/screams; doesn't mean it should replace Ellen over at Universe of Energy.

aladdin2007

You just answered why just about everyone is against a Cars overlay to Test Track. To provide another example, Monsters, Inc is about generating power from laughs/screams; doesn't mean it should replace Ellen over at Universe of Energy.

They have toyed with that idea, dont remind them. shhhh:ROFLOL:

Admiral01

Premium Member
I still don't get why everyone is so anti-Cars theme. I mean, it doesn't really make sense at Epcot, of course. But as a ride, I think it would be nice. Carsland at California Adventure is going to be pretty great.

You answered your own question, and you answered that question for anyone else who asks it. Cars has nothing to do with Future World. It doesn't make sense at EPCOT. Cars fits in the DCA expansion. It does NOT fit in EPCOT (neither did Nemo).

It is frusterating when people look at a ride like Test Track and say "Hey, it is a ride that has to do with cars...Disney has a movie called Cars...that must mean that it is a natural fit!" Nemo killed the Future World theming of the Living Seas. Cars would kill the theming of Test Track. I find myself rooting against the success of Disney/Pixar movies these days, because of things like the current Seas theme, and the always-present threat to other EPCOT attractions from idiot managers who want to shove their characters down our throats.

Test Track, Soarin, Space Ship Earth, and some of the original EPCOT Center attractions (like Imagination) should be proof enough to Disney that movie character overlays are not necessary to have high attendance and a very successful attraction in their theme parks.

farsidehobbes

Last time I was at Epcot was last October, and before that it was probably 3-4 years ago. In my opinion, the only thing that screamed 'old ride' to me was the videos during the preshow and ride. Everything else was still good.

If they want to make Test Track up to date, all they really have to do is reshoot those videos so they don't look 20 years old and swap out the old crts in the preshow room for some flatscreens. The rest of the queue, ride, and post still looked good.

misterID

It's not about being old, it's about a theme not being very good.

Yeah, Imagination desperately needs a complete overhaul. For whatever reason, that's not happening any time soon. But I'm not going to complain about a ride getting refurbed.

Yodadudeman

It's not about being old, it's about a theme not being very good.

Yeah, Imagination desperately needs a complete overhaul. For whatever reason, that's not happening any time soon. But I'm not going to complain about a ride getting refurbed.

Agreed. I guess beggers can't be choosers.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes, the other attractions could definitely use more help first...however unlike those attractions, Test Track actually HAS a sponsor. Who knows what GM is requesting if they are continuing the sponsorship

misterID

Does Mission Space have a sponsor? I would love to see that attraction get a major overhaul. What a waste of a super innovative ride system.

I believe HP's sponsorship is up in 2 years.

I really hope something new gets put there. Like a REAL space pavilion, not some lame training facility.

katarn112

I believe HP's sponsorship is up in 2 years.

I really hope something new gets put there. Like a REAL space pavilion, not some lame training facility.

I still do not and never will understand the hate Mission Space gets. It's the only ride of its kind at Disney World. Would you guys rather it be torn down and replaced with yet another dark ride?

UrbanDonovan

I still do not and never will understand the hate Mission Space gets. It's the only ride of its kind at Disney World. Would you guys rather it be torn down and replaced with yet another dark ride?

If Mission:Space gets hate here, it is because it replaced Horizons and this site is populated with many Horizons fanboys.

montyz81

It is simple. The imagineering that went into M:S is only a fraction of that of Horizons. As complex as M:S is, there really is nothing to the ride in terms of imagineering. It is a big centrifuge with a pivot at the end. It is a carnival ride with a video screen. I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again. There is not one ride of the original Epcot Center that ever did that to me!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is simple. The imagineering that went into M:S is only a fraction of that of Horizons. As complex as M:S is, there really is nothing to the ride in terms of imagineering. It is a big centrifuge with a pivot at the end. It is a carnival ride with a video screen. I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again. There is not one ride of the original Epcot Center that ever did that to me!
There is little to no imagineering in the tea cups. It is a carnival ride without a video screen. I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again.

Should they be removed as well?

montyz81

there is little to no imagineering in the tea cups. It is a carnival ride without a video screen. I rode it once and felt sick after and will never ride it again.

Should they be removed as well?
yup!

I kid, I guess I should qualify by Park. MK caters to different types of rides. Epcot Center was built as a learning park originally. That is where I believe it should stay! You learn a little about Space travel to the moon in M:S, but I felt that you learned more in Horizons about the potential of the future.

evilzorac

Monty I have to disagree with you on MS. I and my family love the ride, both the theming and thrill factor. I am sorry that you have a sensitivity to motion but many including my two daughters (8 & 5) love it, and because they love the thrill they are interested in space and it's exploration. I have caught them at home playing "space" after one of our trips and always ask for it first when we return to Epcot. Many on here complain about male or female bias but for my family its thrill attached to theming. My girls want adventure and excitement.

It is always easy to dismiss those things that make us uncomfortable but you need ot step back and see the ride as a whole. Just because we miss Horizons doesn't mean we can't see the joy in a kids eyes that loves to spin on the amusement ride.

Yodadudeman

I completely agree. Also, the whole Mission:Space complex is pretty cool. It is interesting and far more up-to-date than the wasteland that is the Imagination Pavilion...

montyz81

Monty I have to disagree with you on MS. I and my family love the ride, both the theming and thrill factor. I am sorry that you have a sensitivity to motion but many including my two daughters (8 & 5) love it, and because they love the thrill they are interested in space and it's exploration. I have caught them at home playing "space" after one of our trips and always ask for it first when we return to Epcot. Many on here complain about male or female bias but for my family its thrill attached to theming. My girls want adventure and excitement.

It is always easy to dismiss those things that make us uncomfortable but you need ot step back and see the ride as a whole. Just because we miss Horizons doesn't mean we can't see the joy in a kids eyes that loves to spin on the amusement ride.
OK. Well made point. I suspect my 9 year old son would feel the same as your daughters. I guess I am just trying to imagine what Walt Disney himself would say if he came back to the parks in their current state. I am reading a biography on him right now and from what I have read so far, he was not a person that liked to go backwards. Advancement was what he was about mostly. I don't think M:S shows advancement in anything. What does that mean for Epcot Center or Epcot? I honestly don't know. So to boil this down, when I went to Epcot Center in 1983, my imagination was sparked by the prospect of future technology. When i went back to Epcot in 2002 for the first time since 1983 I felt like I went to a theme park. Only SSE again brought that spark back. My dislike of M:S has much less to do with the sick feeling I get from it and more to do with how it just didn't make me feel inspired. I know weird, right!

thelookingglass

I would hate to see the Mission: Space pavilion wasted by closing it. IMO, the whole ride could be easily revived with some small changes, and also make Green side less pointless.

the-reason14

OK. Well made point. I suspect my 9 year old son would feel the same as your daughters. I guess I am just trying to imagine what Walt Disney himself would say if he came back to the parks in their current state. I am reading a biography on him right now and from what I have read so far, he was not a person that liked to go backwards. Advancement was what he was about mostly. I don't think M:S shows advancement in anything. What does that mean for Epcot Center or Epcot? I honestly don't know. So to boil this down, when I went to Epcot Center in 1983, my imagination was sparked by the prospect of future technology. When i went back to Epcot in 2002 for the first time since 1983 I felt like I went to a theme park. Only SSE again brought that spark back. My dislike of M:S has much less to do with the sick feeling I get from it and more to do with how it just didn't make me feel inspired. I know weird, right!

I can see both sides, why some hate M:S and think it lacks the imagineering that made Horizons and World of Motion 'great' classic rides. And I can also see why some like it as it is innovative and offers that thrill. I think it's a bit of a stretch to think of what Walt would like or dislike. Times have changed, tastes have changed, and people have. I think he would adjust and figured out a way to keep his product relevant which is what the current imagineers have done imo. If anything M:S fits in Epcot and works because it attracts a crowd and is popular, same with TT. They may not be the best example of what Walt may have wanted, but they work because they keep Epcot relevant. I think Stitch and Monsters inc are prime examples of things Walt would 'hate,' as they don't fit in their section of MK and they don't attract crowds.

Tim_4

I don't have the post count that Lee and Raven have but expect the following:

Test Track will be down for several months in 2012.

GM isn't going anywhere any time soon.

It will still be "Test Track."

Updates will be along the lines of what's become typical lately (namely, interactive queues)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom