Test Track Poll - Which version do you prefer?

Which Test Track version do you prefer?

• I prefer Test Track 1.0 after having experienced both

Votes: 51 13.6%
  • I prefer Test Track 1.0 after experiencing 1.0 and seeing 2.0 on video

Votes: 49 13.1%
  • I prefer Test Track 2.0 after experiencing both

Votes: 125 33.3%
  • I prefer Test Track 2.0 after experiencing 1.0 and seeing 2.0 on video

Votes: 150 40.0%

• Total voters

aw14

I was not overly impressed with 2.0. It was evident that there are still a lot of bugs to be worked out. The "show" itself was more eye pleasing, but the create your own car lacked IMO. I can appreciate the fact that disney was trying to add to itandmake it more appealing.

googilycub

After my 1st ride of 2.0 this week, I prefer 1.0 over the new one. This one just lacks something that the 1st ride had. I do, however like the cleaner lines of the new que.

invader

After my 1st ride of 2.0 this week, I prefer 1.0 over the new one. This one just lacks something that the 1st ride had. I do, however like the cleaner lines of the new que.

This is exactly how I feel. Should they change the narration to make the ride make more sense and add an awesome playlist for the outside loop I might change my mind.

imagineer boy

I like the upgrade. But it's hard to say if I prefer it over the old version or not. Mainly because it's mostly the same ride but with different visuals.

Hobnail Boot

I rode the new version last week. Everyone in my group preferred the old version over the new version. It felt like a car ride through pretty lights, not a "test track." I never thought I would say it but I miss Bill McKim and that corny preshow. On the flip side, it was one of my buddies first rides and he liked the new version. After we showed him a video of the original TT he quickly said "Wow, that looks way cooler."

l4dybu6

I liked the story and theming of the original better! This one has no story, no in-ride narration (I heard somewhere that it did, but it wasn't working while I was on...), but it lacks the substance of the previous version. I do like the new queue and that the ride is MUCH smoother and a bit faster! Still, If they had just updated the original queue a bit and made the ride smoother, it would be more enjoyable.

HMF

I liked the story and theming of the original better! This one has no story, no in-ride narration (I heard somewhere that it did, but it wasn't working while I was on...), but it lacks the substance of the previous version. I do like the new queue and that the ride is MUCH smoother and a bit faster! Still, If they had just updated the original queue a bit and made the ride smoother, it would be more enjoyable.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html

Mammymouse

We just rode 2.0 Sunday and I am going with my original statement when they originally announced the changes to Test Track - "I know they are going to screw it up". Now there is no reason for us to visit EPCOT, our last favorite ride has been transformed into a virtual, with a fancy light ride-through. Also we can't do Soaring or Mission to Mars because of the headache producing spinning, screen/smell thing.

My card for the design didn't work, so Hubby and I did the design on his screen, which by the way we had zero interest in doing anyway. At the end our's and our granddaughters' vehicles didn't show up in the pictures but her's was in the stats. So after this disappointment, other Parks being half day, the whole next gen thing - ugh - who knows what, Ariel's new ride being cute and masterfully designed but a so-so ride, and AP's child rate now the same as adults increased price, our feeling of opening our wallets and willingly let the money fly out to Disney is becoming much harder to justify. It scares me that I sound like I'm becoming one of those jaded types on this forum, and I don't want to be. I feel like I've reached the "tipping point".

Timekeeper

I know this has been discussed to death, but I still don't fully understand why Disney didn't just directly incorporate TRON into the attraction. Why the TRON innuendo? Why not just call a duck a duck? :confused:

MarkTwain

I know this has been discussed to death, but I still don't fully understand why Disney didn't just directly incorporate TRON into the attraction. Why the TRON innuendo? Why not just call a duck a duck? :confused:

I really don't think it was intentional. Tron is a modern take on 80s design; Test Track is a modern take on 80s design (as is Project Tomorrow and much of SSE post-refurb). Just because they both used neon lights doesn't mean they were imitating Tron. It's just a simple visual aesthetic that was used in both cases.

Also not understanding the hate for the new version. If it's the exact same ride (and in many cases the same props) but with better visuals... then how is it worse? If anything, it feels much more like a futuristic and modern attraction worthy of the Epcot name than the "exposed pipes and road signs"-as-theming warehouse that was Test Track 1.0.

Timekeeper

I really don't think it was intentional. Tron is a modern take on 80s design; Test Track is a modern take on 80s design (as is Project Tomorrow and much of SSE post-refurb). Just because they both used neon lights doesn't mean they were imitating Tron. It's just a simple visual aesthetic that was used in both cases.

Just seems to me that the "visual aesthetic" in Test Track 2.0 is 'too' similar to Tron (in particular, Tron Legacy). Because Tron Legacy is relatively recent and tied to Disney, the similarities are just too similar. There's more to it than just neon lights; many of the colors and geometric shapes are akin to the visual architecture in Tron Legacy.

Imagine Disney opening an attraction about a boy who discovers that he is a wizard and then has adventures throughout his attendance at wizarding school... and then Disney suggests that it was "unintentionally" similar to another popular property... The "it's just a coincidence" explanation just wouldn't fly, and for me, it equally fails with respect to Tron Track.

I like Test Track; both incarnations. I also liked Tron Legacy. If people are going to be thinking about the similarities, why not take advantage of that?

djlaosc

Also not understanding the hate for the new version. If it's the exact same ride (and in many cases the same props) but with better visuals... then how is it worse? If anything, it feels much more like a futuristic and modern attraction worthy of the Epcot name than the "exposed pipes and road signs"-as-theming warehouse that was Test Track 1.0.

"Better visuals" is subjective. Some people prefer the "real-world/warehouse" visuals v "flashy lights and a lot of darkness".

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster

THANK YOU! I don't understand the appeal of the old version which felt like driving through a home depot parking lot at night.

Epcot was never supposed to be about the real, current world, it's supposed to feel futuristic, which the new one does, even if you don't like the neon/computer feel, that's what its portraying.

Also, they didn't come out and call it TRON because its supposed to be a Chevy design center and honestly regarding whether this makes sense, I bet you a LOT more testing is done by virtual simulations than real road tests these days then the mid 90's when the first Test Track came out. Calling it TRON doesn't sell Chevy any more cars.

TDF

How I would do it: Add the current TT queue and the old TT Ride updated. I rode it over NYE… I personally found it boring and also quite confusing to understand which car was actually yours.
- Justin

Tom Morrow

"Better visuals" is subjective. Some people prefer the "real-world/warehouse" visuals v "flashy lights and a lot of darkness".
Realistically, there is less darkness than before. Sure, the overall lighting level is a bit darker (nowhere near what it looks like in the youtube videos, however), but areas that were previously just black, dark walls and floors are now illuminated with visuals.

RadioHead

I'm not sure where all this hate is stemming from. Granted, I didn't experience the ride yet, just watched the video but it did look very slick.

I don't have much passion for the old version, but the original wasn't very futuristic. It felt very modern, and began to even feel dated in some respects, a relic of the past so to speak.

This version seems very much in line with what should be in Epcot. It has this very slick futuristic feel, while providing some "edutainment". Again, not seeing the issue here that ya'll are having at all.

If anything, I say goodjob disney to finally having some balls to take risks with your attractions (for better or for worse).

awoogala

Revising my vote. I went in January and rode it. I have to say, it was quite impressive. I tried to be objective, tried telling myself that it was the same darn ride, but it worked on me.
I actually like it a LOT better than tt 1.0- which I did not really like at all. I even enjoyed the queue, which had some interesting prototypes, and got me in the mood. The whole thing had that vibe of "real epcot" about it..futuristic, informative, exciting.
Our car did well, all the views worked, and we were excited to "win" when we did.

Rinx

No comparison, 1.0 all the way. Even though it is the same ride and nothing has changed in that aspect, the new themeing and "tests" completely ruined Test Track for me. Yes, it is more "future looking" but I'm not afraid at all to say that I hate it. Still going to keep riding for the outdoor portion but going to skip all the design nonsense.

dreamscometrue

Revising my vote. I went in January and rode it. I have to say, it was quite impressive. I tried to be objective, tried telling myself that it was the same darn ride, but it worked on me.
I actually like it a LOT better than tt 1.0- which I did not really like at all. I even enjoyed the queue, which had some interesting prototypes, and got me in the mood. The whole thing had that vibe of "real epcot" about it..futuristic, informative, exciting.
Our car did well, all the views worked, and we were excited to "win" when we did.

^^ This! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom