Test Track is broken down over 40% of the time

SirWillow

Used to work at Epcot, quite often actually in the photo area of Test Track where people would see their pictures and attach them to their photopass. There is absolutely no way that 40% number is accurate. Talk about a highly, ridiculously exaggerated number.

Yes, Test Track has a bit more downtime than other attractions. Part of that is because it goes outside, and any ride that goes outside is going to have to close during a Florida thunderstorm for lightning, "covered" or not, unless it's fully enclosed. That's just a safety issue.

And because of the nature of the vehicles, yes, it does close sometime due to guest stupidity. Much of the time when it does it's because of the safety system kicking in and making sure everything is good. If the computer system senses anything that may not be quite right, it will stop it. That's the vast majority of the stops, and those are almost always very brief. 5-10 minutes or so. And it's something that you would far rather have be a bit to sensitive than not sensitive enough.

Even with all of that though, there were only a handful of times that it shut down when I was working in the area, and only had a couple when I encountered that visiting with my family. I've seen many other rides in other non-Disney parks have more downtime than Test Track.

Oh, and my vote on outdoor attractions? I'd far rather have a bunch outside that have to shut down due to weather than have them all enclosed. Just see the differences between WDW's version of Small World compared to Paris or Disneyland.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Used to work at Epcot, quite often actually in the photo area of Test Track where people would see their pictures and attach them to their photopass. There is absolutely no way that 40% number is accurate. Talk about a highly, ridiculously exaggerated number.

Yes, Test Track has a bit more downtime than other attractions. Part of that is because it goes outside, and any ride that goes outside is going to have to close during a Florida thunderstorm for lightning, "covered" or not, unless it's fully enclosed. That's just a safety issue.

And because of the nature of the vehicles, yes, it does close sometime due to guest stupidity. Much of the time when it does it's because of the safety system kicking in and making sure everything is good. If the computer system senses anything that may not be quite right, it will stop it. That's the vast majority of the stops, and those are almost always very brief. 5-10 minutes or so. And it's something that you would far rather have be a bit to sensitive than not sensitive enough.

Even with all of that though, there were only a handful of times that it shut down when I was working in the area, and only had a couple when I encountered that visiting with my family. I've seen many other rides in other non-Disney parks have more downtime than Test Track.

Oh, and my vote on outdoor attractions? I'd far rather have a bunch outside that have to shut down due to weather than have them all enclosed. Just see the differences between WDW's version of Small World compared to Paris or Disneyland.

If it isn't running, it's "down". If the reason that it's down for over 40% of a given week is due to thunder, it's still down 40% for that week.

SirWillow

If it isn't running, it's "down". If the reason that it's down for over 40% of a given week is due to thunder, it's still down 40% for that week.
You misunderstood what I said.

Even with all of those reasons for being down, it's nowhere even close to that 40% number. The real figure it probably closer to 10-15% total. 40% is an exaggeration that someone made up out of the thin air.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You misunderstood what I said.

Even with all of those reasons for being down, it's nowhere even close to that 40% number. The real figure it probably closer to 10-15% total. 40% is an exaggeration that someone made up out of the thin air.

I don't think it's that low. That may be a daily statistic, and it probably had better uptime this year due to the reduction of severe weather.

Oddysey

I highly doubt that the 40% downtime for the entire ride is accurate. However, I cannot think of a time that I ever rode the TT 2.0 that all the screens that demonstrate my cars ranking in each category have worked. When it is clear that the premise of the ride revolves so heavily around your "sim car's" performance, and the ranking system does not work throughout the ride, I find it ridiculous how often the ranking screens are broken. With price increases coming so often and being so significant, I find things like this more irritating than I would have in past years.

celluloid

If you appreciate cartoony, humorous depictions of history of any kind, or just enjoy some large and fun set-pieces, I'd say give it a try. Just bear in mind it's a 15-minute-long dark ride so it may not keep your interest in video form as much as actually being there would.

Wellsaid, also highly under appreciated ride vehicles, humorous subtle tongue in cheek narration and post show. It was more than just a ride; but a pavilion with transportation as the theme. The ride vehicles stayed flat even when spiraling incline up or down in the building so you were never at an angle.that would compromise comfort or views.

Goofyernmost

Wellsaid, also highly under appreciated ride vehicles, humorous subtle tongue in cheek narration and post show. It was more than just a ride; but a pavilion with transportation as the theme. The ride vehicles stayed flat even when spiraling incline up or down in the building so you were never at an angle.that would compromise comfort or views.
Yes, those vehicles were impressive. I used to bring a guy in a wheelchair there and they had some with a built in ramp where they could just push the chair on the vehicle and the wheels would drop into wheel groves in the floor and they never stopped the omni-mover at all. If I recall correctly, I believe it was Gary Owens, from Laugh-in fame that did the narration. I loved the quick loop outside the pavilion as it raised to the top floor where you could see just about all of Future World as it went around.

Goofyernmost

On my last trip, it was down 100% of the time that i was within 500' of it. We tried 6 times over 3 days with no success. So from my point of view that 40% number is low. :)
The same thing happened on Ratatouille when I was in Paris, but, I doubt it was something that was always that way. If it was Disney would be crazy to add it too Epcot. Never did get to see it.

Weather_Lady

On my last trip, it was down 100% of the time that i was within 500' of it. We tried 6 times over 3 days with no success. So from my point of view that 40% number is low. :)

Same for our last trip. We tried to go 3 times, and it was down all 3 times. (Granted, the third time we got lucky and as we were walking away, a CM announced that it was now reopening -- or rather, "opening," as that was the first time it had been open that day. It had been non-operational since rope drop and wasn't up and running until mid-morning.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom