Test Track closing early April 19

Biff215

I am serious. Perhaps Disney could have done a better job at publicizing this closure in advance. In the end, however, Chevrolet sponsors TT and probably has a lot of leeway when it comes to events. If not for their sponsorship, there would not be Test Track.
Guess we’ll disagree that TT couldn’t exist without Chevy. It might not exist due to Disney not spending the money, but corporate sponsorship is hardly required, and shouldn’t give those companies the “right” to shut down a ride during normal park hours. Just my opinion of course.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Guess we’ll disagree that TT couldn’t exist without Chevy. It might not exist due to Disney not spending the money, but corporate sponsorship is hardly required, and shouldn’t give those companies the “right” to shut down a ride during normal park hours. Just my opinion of course.
Epcot was built on the premise of corporate sponsorship from the beginning.

21stamps

I was there this evening. It was pretty quiet in future world. A little busier in WS due to F&G, but still very pleasant.
That’s great!
Your post made me notice the second typo. Lol. Siri originally wrote “pour” I corrected that immediately, but now I see the “soles”!

Oh, I love her, but sometimes she disappoints me. ;)

Biff215

True, but that model has changed a lot since then. It’s not dead (yet), but certainly has lessened or at least evolved. Even though GM sponsors TT, they certainly don’t own it and shouldn’t be able to shut it down. That’s not the reason for sponsorship on either side in the first place.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
True, but that model has changed a lot since then.
Maybe, but is it because Disney isn’t courting sponsors, or are potential sponsors not interested? However it came about, this change is why there’s Frozen in Norway and GotG commandeering the UoE.

Even though GM sponsors TT, they certainly don’t own it and shouldn’t be able to shut it down. That’s not the reason for sponsorship on either side in the first place.
GM paid Disney $100 million for the last sponsorship of the attraction. If the current one is anything remotely close to that, GM deserves those perks. That’s my opinion, but that doesn’t matter. These two companies made that part of the sponsorship agreement.

TP2000

Epcot wasn't just built on the premise of corporate sponsorship, it was built on the premise of being a showcase for American commerce and industry and the great American Free Enterprise System.

But then, so few people under the age of 40 even know what American Free Enterprise is anymore and that it naturally and fairly picks winners and losers (GASP!), I shouldn't be surprised that so few people know why and how Epcot was built in the first place.

Just go about your day, worrying about your Fastpass+ choices, while the country slowly devolves into another Venezuela. All is well. :)

Jambo Joe

I sometimes think our moderator will post a very minor item like this just to watch the wave of anger spread like wildfire.

Biff215

Maybe, but is it because Disney isn’t courting sponsors, or are potential sponsors not interested? However it came about, this change is why there’s Frozen in Norway and GotG commandeering the UoE.
I assume sponsors aren’t as interested as times have changed. While I’ll agree Frozen and GotG are misplaced, I am glad that Disney is investing in Epcot without the need for sponsors. It’s better than old rotting attractions begging for updates.
GM paid Disney $100 million for the last sponsorship of the attraction. If the current one is anything remotely close to that, GM deserves those perks. That’s my opinion, but that doesn’t matter. These two companies made that part of the sponsorship agreement.
Well if part of the sponsorship agreement includes the ability to shut down the attraction during park hours inside 60 days, then that’s Disney’s fault. That’s exactly why I’d rather them not deal with sponsors in the first place.

jakeman

So I know it's a little late for a rational response in this thread but two questions that should be answered before we fly off into a rage:
  1. How long has this lounge been booked?
  2. If it was booked greater than 60 days ago, were FastPasses blocked out for that time?
If the answer to #1 is >60 days and #2 is yes, there's not much to grab the pitchforks about.

Biff215

So I know it's a little late for a rational response in this thread but two questions that should be answered before we fly off into a rage:
  1. How long has this lounge been booked?
  2. If it was booked greater than 60 days ago, were FastPasses blocked out for that time?
If the answer to #1 is >60 days and #2 is yes, there's not much to grab the pitchforks about.
I’ll agree that it would be more acceptable if done more than 60 days out, but that’s no consolation for those trying to catch it on standby, which isn’t that uncommon given the tiered FP. Personally I just believe this shouldn’t happen during regular park hours. No rage needed. ;)

jakeman

I’ll agree that it would be more acceptable if done more than 60 days out, but that’s no consolation for those trying to catch it on standby, which isn’t that uncommon given the tiered FP. Personally I just believe this shouldn’t happen during regular park hours. No rage needed. ;)
I agree that's an understandable perspective.

There's a couple of more factors for standby guest to consider if they were informed or not, but the base premise of closing an attraction during park hours for a private event, while having been done probably since the park was open, won't (and probably shouldn't) sit well with day guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom