Test Track closing early April 19

21stamps

We talked with one of imagineers involved in redo. This was an atempt by Chevy to give modern cutting edge tech feel to auto industry. Not a bad idea, but I’m not totally sold on the new theming. What would be cool if they did like a virtual comparison of the created cars then you “ride” the best scoring vehicle. Have a cool and perhaps more obvious transition between the virtual car and a physical vehicle.

I’m reading these comments and wondering if people are linking it all together.

There’s a few things going on- It’s a Chevy Showcase of ‘cool cars’ when entering.
Then, you’re designing a car, just like the people at Chevy do.
Then, you’re testing a car, just like the people at Chevy do.
Then, you’re finding out how the design held up when in action.

After all of that, you get to use your car again in interactive games.. you get to make a commercial to promote your car.. and then you view Chevy’s actual vehicles.

I guess I’m confused as to why that doesn’t make sense to some people, or where the ‘flaw’ is.
Imo this is one of the best “edutainment attractions” at WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

There’s a few things going on- It’s a Chevy Showcase of ‘cool cars’ when entering.

After all of that, you get to use your car again in interactive games.. you get to make a commercial to promote your car.. and then you view Chevy’s actual vehicles.

I guess I’m confused as to why that doesn’t make sense to some people, or where the ‘flaw’ is.
Sounds like a 20-minute commercial to me...

Disclaimer: I own a Chevy product.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

Not about an inability to link it together, it’s just opinion on the execution of the project. The idea is there just the original iteration of the attraction was better executed. I like the idea, and I think the queue portion is pretty well done but the redo of the ride portion isn’t great. Also, pretty sure there’s already a thread dedicated to these issues.

21stamps

Not about an inability to link it together, it’s just opinion on the execution of the project. The idea is there just the original iteration of the attraction was better executed. I like the idea, and I think the queue portion is pretty well done but the redo of the ride portion isn’t great. Also, pretty sure there’s already a thread dedicated to these issues.

At some point we have to use our own imagination, while also simultaneously using realism by acknowledging that a literal execution of your ride design would be impossible.

Tom Morrow

The confusion comes from not having your design have any effect on the ride experience. The concept of benchmarking your design against the baseline model is somewhat abstract and hard for some people to grasp.

21stamps

The confusion comes from not having your design have any effect on the ride experience. The concept of benchmarking your design against the baseline model is somewhat abstract and hard for some people to grasp.

We skipped Epcot on our last visit, did they stop showing the results of the cars?

If so, then I understand the confusion of why the design process would be there.

mikejs78

Premium Member
We skipped Epcot on our last visit, did they stop showing the results of the cars?

If so, then I understand the confusion of why the design process would be there.
Nope, was there last week, rode TT twice with my son (it's one of his favorites) and they definitely still show the results.

Tom Morrow

Well, when it works right, yes.

But the thing is, nothing on the ride has any effect on the outcome of those scores, as the scores are already determined. The system could show you each list immediately as the vehicles are uploaded. You also have a pretty good idea of how your car will rank in each category during the design process.

It’s like... if on Toy Story Mania, you played the games in the queue instead and the ride just showed you your results. It’s an abstract and half-baked approach to add interactivity to a ride that didn’t need it.

If they could find some way to make the actual ride interactive with your design, the concept would work better. It would be hard to do, but not impossible, but probably more than Chevy was willing to invest.

Last edited:

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
At some point we have to use our own imagination, while also simultaneously using realism by acknowledging that a literal execution of your ride design would be impossible.

Literally changing the car, sure... but there are ways to make it feel like you spent time in queue doing more than just killing time. It’s a lot of build up for little reward first time you ride this version. Disney could have incorporated more fx into the vehicle and such to make the ride feel more interactive then simply riding a car through a tron scene. Even the simply white wall tire effect in RSR is more impressive than a “scoreboard” comparing vehicles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom