Test Track 2012 Refurb.. You heard it here first.

Rob562

Didn't they turn off all the safety precautions I see what would happen and the result was the car crashing?

The story as I heard it was that they ran a "worst-case-scenario" and disabled 75% of the safety features. When the car hit the loop around the building it failed to slow down. When it hit the top of the down-ramp at full speed, the linkage between the car and the front under-track bogey assembly snapped, causing the car to pivot outward on the rear linkage and the front-end of the car took out the side wall of the thermal imaging tunnel.

But from the failure (just like any accident) they learned from the failure and were able to make changes to prevent something like that from happening.

Another side part of the story is that the car involved (Car 17), is the same car parked in the gift shop. Though I think at least *that* part of the story was proven false.

Now, whether all (or even any) of this story is true, I don't know.

-Rob

Alektronic

The story as I heard it was that they ran a "worst-case-scenario" and disabled 75% of the safety features. When the car hit the loop around the building it failed to slow down. When it hit the top of the down-ramp at full speed, the linkage between the car and the front under-track bogey assembly snapped, causing the car to pivot outward on the rear linkage and the front-end of the car took out the side wall of the thermal imaging tunnel.

But from the failure (just like any accident) they learned from the failure and were able to make changes to prevent something like that from happening.

Another side part of the story is that the car involved (Car 17), is the same car parked in the gift shop. Though I think at least *that* part of the story was proven false.

Now, whether all (or even any) of this story is true, I don't know.

-Rob

The story I heard from people working on the ride was they were having problems with the cars making a complete lap before shutting down or faulting out with some kind of problems, so the engineers bypassed the safeties so it could continue running around the track, so it made it most of the way, it accelerated fine but didn't decelerate re-entering the bldg and tore up the track and put a hole in the side of the bldg and they spent the rest of the day trying to cover up all the damage, luckily all the construction walls were still up.

It happened about May 97, then everything was put on hold for 6 months while they did another ride redesign.

c-one

Whatever happens with Test Track's refurb, I hope they don't spoil the scenic view of backstage Epcot and the cast member parking lot from the acceleration loop.

Scuttle

Bwah ha ha! Seriously, terrible show and so out of place for this park. Always has been.

I agree, but ever since the Swan and Dolphin ruined the world showcase horizon I pretty much can accept anything at Epcot now. Am I the only one that thinks it's ironic that morocco actually blends right in with the ToT and looks great when your lined up with and then we have this massive, ugly building right next to it?

NoChesterHester

I agree, but ever since the Swan and Dolphin ruined the world showcase horizon I pretty much can accept anything at Epcot now. Am I the only one that thinks it's ironic that morocco actually blends right in with the ToT and looks great when your lined up with and then we have this massive, ugly building right next to it?

See that I honestly dont have an issue with. I get the copper penny theory, but enjoy the energy that density creates. Long vistas and sightlines can be compromised.

I guess for me everything doesnt need to be in a green field isolated from everything else.

Mike730

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose. Supposedly when ToT was built, it was taken into account that it would be seen behind morocco, so they made the top of it look moroccan. Which makes sense to me because when you think about it ToT doesn't really fit the theme. The buildings for ToT in DCA and WDW are very different. Unless you knew that already and were referring to the fact that they cared about the theming when they build ToT but not when they built the Swan and Dolphin.

Scuttle

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose. Supposedly when ToT was built, it was taken into account that it would be seen behind morocco, so they made the top of it look moroccan. Which makes sense to me because when you think about it ToT doesn't really fit the theme. The buildings for ToT in DCA and WDW are very different. Unless you knew that already and were referring to the fact that they cared about the theming when they build ToT but not when they built the Swan and Dolphin.

That's what I was saying. I think it's really ironic. Why the hell did they care about that when there is a giant crazy colored structure right next to it. It doesn't make any sense.

NoChesterHester

When you can see Myan Pyramids from the UK and or a japanese pagoda from China... oh come on.

Besides what does a mideival castle have to do with victorian mid west?

janoimagine

Will it be Tron-esque? A few small print elements but that's about it. The ride will stay relatively the same. The queue, preshow and postshow will be the major overhaul. New costumes are coming too.

Are you positive about this, or did something change?

... I know that what is on display in the Conference Room at Design in the Warren Tech Center has a lot more happening to the ride, the layout and track will remain the same, but there are several new show pieces, upgraded lighthing and different vignettes on the ride itself in addition to the pre and post show changes. I guess we will have to wait and see, but I know the folks over at Chevy are very excited about the changes and the opportunities as a result. :animwink:

Lee

Adventurer
Exactly. Far too much made of these spoiled sightlines.

Disneyland is absolutely spectacular and a european mountain sits viewable from Main Street. It all works some how because... it is a theme park.
A personal favorite of mine...

Attachments

• smmainstreet.jpg
    smmainstreet.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 258

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom