Terri Schiavo has passed.....

LiveItUp21

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Today, is a very tragic day in our great nation. Terri Schiavo has peen pronounced dead at 41 years of age today. Personally, I think this may be the biggest tragedy since 9/11. To deny a person food and water is absolutely rediculous. I mean, assisted suicide is so looked down upon in our culture, and yet how is this situation not assisted suicide?

Another thing that really angers me about this whole situation is accroding to the lawyer of the Schiavo's, Terri Schiavo's husband has had an on going relationship with a another women after Terri was injured. And he was the one who gave the consent to pull the feeding toube!! REDICULOUS!

This was a homicide in my book. In no way could this death be justified as anything else.

This is a sad day in American history. It amazes me, supposively our society has "come so far" and yet we still haven't learned anything!

Wilt Dasney

LiveItUp21 said:
Personally, I think this may be the biggest tragedy since 9/11.

Not so much, no. Tragic, yes...but it doesn't compare to the deaths of 3,000. We've seen scores more lives lost in suicide bombings and other needless acts of terror since 9/11. The personal pain of one family cannot be compared to situations like that. It's apples and oranges.

DDuckFan130

Actually, the tsunami was IMHO a bigger tragedy than this. I'm definitely saddened by her death and maddened by her husband's actions throughout the whole ordeal. But at least she is at peace now, and the ridiculous media circus surrounding this case can stop. There are countless tsunami victims who are definitely not at peace, and with the recent earthquakes, it's hard to say how things will get in the near future. ::Shrugs::

Computer Magic

DDuckFan130 said:
Actually, the tsunami was IMHO a bigger tragedy than this. I'm definitely saddened by her death and maddened by her husband's actions throughout the whole ordeal. But at least she is at peace now, and the ridiculous media circus surrounding this case can stop. There are countless tsunami victims who are definitely not at peace, and with the recent earthquakes, it's hard to say how things will get in the near future. ::Shrugs::
Very well stated.

Key words "She is at peace".

Someone stated best some where else would you want quality of life or quantity of life. I know which I prefer.

PhotoDave219

It was a media circus that was rephrehensible exploited by both sides for political and personal gain as well as promoting people's agendas.

Thats the lesson to be learned here, the lack of morality and the exploitation of life and death to advance someone's agenda.

PhotoDave219

And whats even more reprehensible, is these so called "Protesters" that are bussed in every morning.

When my friend gets out for his 12 hour shift out there in the media pool, There are maybe 3 or 4 people out there. Everyone else was there to play to the cameras.

Makes me wonder who paid for the bus.

DDuckFan130

PhotoDave219 said:
It was a media circus that was rephrehensible exploited by both sides for political and personal gain as well as promoting people's agendas.

Thats the lesson to be learned here, the lack of morality and the exploitation of life and death to advance someone's agenda.
:lol: I was waiting for your response.

And yes I agree :wave:

Computer Magic

PhotoDave219 said:

A another lesson learned, have a legal document written regarding YOUR wishes should something like this happen.

DanStat

Incredibly sad, however, Terri is now better off. I can only imagine what her family must have gone through. God Bless them.

DDuckFan130

Computer Magic said:
A another lesson learned, have a legal document written regarding YOUR wishes should something like this happen.
Agreed. I heard on the news that ever since this whole thing started, a lot of couples have discussed the issue of what to do should something happen to the one of them. It's a sad thing to think about, but unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

LiveItUp21

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Wilt Dasney said:
Not so much, no. Tragic, yes...but it doesn't compare to the deaths of 3,000. We've seen scores more lives lost in suicide bombings and other needless acts of terror since 9/11. The personal pain of one family cannot be compared to situations like that. It's apples and oranges.

Im not going to disagree with you there. You are indeed 100% correct. Let me just tell you where I was coming from....

Ok in the case of Schiavo her life was taken from her hands with no consent of her own. This is basically an assisted suicide where the husband made a fatal decision. Personally, I could never essentially "play God" as her husband did and take her life.

But you are right, the tsunami and 9/11 were very tragic as well.

I just will never understand the 'double standards' that are present in our society. Ok, so apparently (no my beliefs) it's ok to pull out a feedng tube, but a nurse in Columbus takes 2 patients in a nursing home off of their breathing machines and kills them according to their wishes. And the nurse gets life in prision and Terri Schiavo's husband is a free man..... If anything the nurse from Columbus should be the free man! At least he had the offical concent of the patients to take their lives! Now by no means am I condoning his actions, I'm just trying to illustrate the rediculous double standard that is present in our society!

LiveItUp21

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Computer Magic said:

Yeah well hinde sight is always 20/20 right? I mean, before the Schiavo situation who would seriously think of having a legal document saying what to do in that type of situation. It's definately something I would never think about.

But yes, you are 100% correct, this unfortunate situation has taught our society a very valuable lesson. Hopefully, our society will learn from Schiavo's death.

Computer Magic

Ok in the case of Schiavo her life was taken from her hands with no consent of her own. This is basically an assisted suicide where the husband made a fatal decision. Personally, I could never essentially "play God" as her husband did and take her life.
You don't know what they talked about as a couple. All we have is hear say.

I just will never understand the 'double standards' that are present in our society. Ok, so apparently (no my beliefs) it's ok to pull out a feedng tube, but a nurse in Columbus takes 2 patients in a nursing home off of their breathing machines and kills them according to their wishes. And the nurse gets life in prision and Terri Schiavo's husband is a free man..... If anything the nurse from Columbus should be the free man! At least he had the offical concent of the patients to take their lives! Now by no means am I condoning his actions, I'm just trying to illustrate the rediculous double standard that is present in our society
Don't agree on a double standard. Spouse's have legal document "marriage" that give certain rights. Nurse in Columbus there is no legal right.

Computer Magic

LiveItUp21 said:
Yeah well hinde sight is always 20/20 right? I mean, before the Schiavo situation who would seriously think of having a legal document saying what to do in that type of situation. It's definately something I would never think about.

But yes, you are 100% correct, this unfortunate situation has taught our society a very valuable lesson. Hopefully, our society will learn from Schiavo's death.
Most people didn't even know about Schiavo situation until recent. This has been going on for 15 years. The media circus just now jumped on it and made it national headlines. This it's nothing new. My grandmother signed a legal document about 10 years ago regarding her wishes not to be put on life support.

The_CEO

LiveItUp21 said:
Personally, I think this may be the biggest tragedy since 9/11.

Even over the Tsunami?

-------

My sadness started 14 something days ago when they were talking about her on the news, and how they were trying to keep her alive. I was keeping track in my mind how many days she has gone without water. Everyday I got more worried because nobody can live more than 2 weeks without water. She almost made it, she's a strong woman. I do feel 15 years is a long time to be on a machine though, in a vegatative state. God bless Terri.

The_CEO

LiveItUp21, I can see you haven't really done research on Terri...

She put herself in that state. She had a Potassium imbalance due to improper nutrition.

Atta83

I just feel sorry for her how she was played in the media.

There was a case similar to this in Houston involving an infant who was born with a fatal disease. Well he was on feeding tubes and ventilators and his supplies were cut off.

I think its sad, but terri is now finally at peace.

LiveItUp21

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Computer Magic said:
You don't know what they talked about as a couple. All we have is hear say.

Don't agree on a double standard. Spouse's have legal document "marriage" that give certain rights. Nurse in Columbus there is no legal right.

Ok so because they are married the one can legally take the others life if he thinks thats what is best? COME ON!!

So what would be the difference between Schiavo's husband and Scott Peterson. I mean seriously, they both took their spouses life without their concent! Basically, in my mind Schiavo's husband murreded Terri. And I'm not trying to be incenstive about Lacy Petterson's death either, what Scott did far exceeds what Schiavo's husband did to her but they are both murreders in my mind.

Shaman

speck76 said:
But, could you "Play God" and keep her alive artificially?

I was gonna make that point as soon as I saw that....

Terri would have died long ago if it wasn't for the technology that was keeping her alive...nothing natural there...

Doctors have been "playing God" from the start...

I hope that all those involved find peace...and I'm happy that Terri herself can finally rest in peace...

Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom