TEAM REALITY BRAINSTORMING THREAD

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Good morning! While Hulk does intend a mostly visual approach this time, Hulk is happy to assist Tegan on Team 80s. Most of my EPCOT knowledge is from reading about the early days, so I actually grasp that era the best. So let me know what parts of the OG pavilion I can help with, writeup-wise, once we have a basic outline.

But first, later today I want to have the first park map completed, for the 80s.
POYFECT!!!!
I’ll get that outline rolling and then maybe we can divide the scenes evenly between the two of us?!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Oh by the way, what are we calling this pavilion?

I got the impression it was undergoing an Eisner-mandated name change during the Xtreme years.
I thought like “Beneath the Surface” or “Below the Surface” would be simple yet effective. @Pi on my Cake had pitched a name too, I think “Mysteries of Inner Earth” or something along those lines.

Definitely going for that classic “verb-noun” FW naming scheme.

D Hulk

I thought like “Beneath the Surface” or “Below the Surface” would be simple yet effective. @Pi on my Cake had pitched a name too, I think “Mysteries of Inner Earth” or something along those lines.

Definitely going for that classic “verb-noun” FW naming scheme.
How about "Mysterious Earth." And when the focus expands later on, "Mysterious Elements (presented by Boilin' Hot Doritos - Taste the Pain)"

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Oh by the way, what are we calling this pavilion?

I got the impression it was undergoing an Eisner-mandated name change during the Xtreme years.
And yeah I’m sure it’ll definitely get a radical Eisner update.

To be fair to Mike, he did oversee the most amazing period of expansion WDW ever saw. And this was all staying true to the vision, and not making everything an IP clogged mess. I know he’s most remembered for major stumbles in the second half of his term.

But from 1984-1993 he oversaw EPCOT Center receiving two new FW pavilions and two new WS countries, the construction of DisMgm, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, and the Disney Village Marketplace, as well as countless resorts, including the original DVC resort, which was actually just called “Disney’s Vacation Club Resort” back then, not Old Key West.

His second decade was an absolute disaster, no doubt. But I’m forever thankful for his first decade.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
How about "Mysterious Earth." And when the focus expands later on, "Mysterious Elements (presented by Boilin' Hot Doritos - Taste the Pain)"
I like it, my only concern is having two attractions with “Earth” in the title. Mysterious Planet? Mysterious Mantle? Mysterious?

If we’re ultra creative it would be cool to be able to come up with a single word title, to go along with Horizons and Communicore.

D Hulk

Map 80s A.jpg

An eighties era map draft. Leaving plenty of room in the lower right for later expansions.
Any changes needed?​

Orange Cat

It seems most of our team is more comfortable in a more modern role and that makes sense. With @D Hulk mostly focused on visual elements this round, I’m kind of the only person actually “on” the 80s team but that is totally okay!! Under the circumstances, I can handle that haha. But could one person join @TwilightZone in the dedicated 90s era?

Okay we’ll do a “train” system. Won’t be like, an actual train on rails, because that wouldn’t fit the FW vibe, but functionally it’ll be like one.

I like the elevator system and I think I wanna use it in spite of The Seas using a similar system. At least ours is legitimately functional. It’s a great way to help break up the queue so it doesn’t get all backed up and nonsensical.

Anticipate a rough layout by around noon or 1:00pm, WDW time. That way everyone else can get started. This is EPCOT so you’re gonna have a lot of actual show scenes to work with, should you choose to keep the same ride system.
I’m not that familiar with any version of EPCOT so I don’t have any preference on where I should go.

Last edited:

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
View attachment 541455

An eighties era map draft. Leaving plenty of room in the lower right for later expansions.
Any changes needed?​
I think it’s perfect!! It looks exactly like what you’d see on the 80s style map!! These maps aren’t perfectly to scale, just intended to represent how the guests see the pavilions. (It’s noteworthy how Spaceship Earth just dominates the landscape at all times, yet when viewed overhead it suddenly looks remarkably small by comparison).

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
@D Hulk I have this outline almost complete. I wanna create a basic floor plan to go with it, mostly to benefit the other members of the team.

But, I’m also kind of running into a conflict here where I had the idea of beginning the ride by showing the Earth actually forming, gaining its water, and then how all these geologic systems function, but it feels like it’s coming into conflict with the main idea of traveling deeper and deeper into the planet itself. So perhaps you wouldn’t mind taking a look at it and making some edits to help the story be a little more cohesive?

D Hulk

@D Hulk I have this outline almost complete. I wanna create a basic floor plan to go with it, mostly to benefit the other members of the team.

But, I’m also kind of running into a conflict here where I had the idea of beginning the ride by showing the Earth actually forming, gaining its water, and then how all these geologic systems function, but it feels like it’s coming into conflict with the main idea of traveling deeper and deeper into the planet itself. So perhaps you wouldn’t mind taking a look at it and making some edits to help the story be a little more cohesive?
Perhaps you could split the topics. Keep the ride about traveling deeper and deeper, and turn the history of earth’s formation (a really fascinating topic) into a film attraction. Maybe a Circlevision with some in theater rumbling effects?

That’s sadly the sort of thing which would become a Mickey Mouse short film festival in later years.

still hiking

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Beneath the Surface

The main entrance, queue, and load area are intentionally as muted and sterile as possible. This falls in line with traditional EPCOT Center.

Also; wall carpet. Lots and lots of wonderful, amazing wall carpet.

Guests enter through a large foyer that quickly filters into a normal sized queue. Guests move quickly through multiple switchbacks via sloped ramps. A huge cross section model of Earth hangs overhead. Along the guardrails are four dialogue boxes briefly describing the crust, mantle, outer core, and inner core.

Entering a second room, guests are sorted into groups of 32 to board one of three elevators. These elevators will simulate descending below the surface of the planet, but in actuality will be moving on an upward angle to take riders to the loading platform on the second floor. The elevator trips are staggered to help distribute crowd flow.

The load platform is relatively barren. To the left is a large portal, dressed to look like a tunnel through a rock formation. Guests are sorted into eight rows of four to board their futuristic mine trains for a slow moving journey beneath the surface.

The dark portal is illuminated by occasional flickers of white light. Then guests finally enter the first show scene. (The indication of LEFT/RIGHT/CENTER tells us which side of the ride vehicle the scenes take place. Most scenes are “center” meaning they encompass the full room, much like the scenes in Spaceship Earth).

SCENE 1: A large curved screen shows an illustrated look at Earth in its infancy. A boiling lake of lava, entirely unrecognizable to what it will eventually become.

SCENE 2: Comets are seen cascading down onto the newborn rocky planet, providing it with water.​

SCENE 3: A lush tropical jungle, with running water, rainfall, occasional thunder, and light wind. Used to introduce the water cycle.

SCENE 4: A cold room blanketed in white and blue, representing an ice age.​

SCENE 5: Glacier sheets are seen receding over North America, carving out the Great Lakes and other bodies of fresh water. This is very important to humans.​

SCENE 6: Modern life forms on land and in bodies of water.​

SCENE 7: A massive simulated ocean environment. Sea life is everywhere. The track passes right through what could be the Mariana Trench.

SCENE 8: A gorgeous shimmering limestone cave, covered with stalagmites. Used to introduce various rocks and minerals.​

SCENE 9: Through a narrow cross section of earth showing the formation of diamonds over time. Starting with lumps of carbon and ending with the pure gems themselves.​

SCENE 10: A massive rock quarry scene. The land now covered with mechanical beasts.​

SCENE 11: A warm room, coated in red and orange. Representing a magma chamber.​

SCENE 12: Multiple overhead screens show volcanic eruptions, surrounding a main screen that illustrates how volcanoes work via animated cross section. The track then circles a massive model volcano under a starry night sky.

SCENE 13: Two ancient land masses are seen below, slowly being pulled apart. Above is a screen showing an illustration of the continents separating. Used to introduce plate tectonics and earthquakes.​

SCENE 13: Through the mantle, where convection currents are represented by numerous half circles forming archways over the track. These convection currents drive the plate tectonics on the surface. This process helps regulate the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and also allows nutrients locked away in mountains to become useful.​

SCENE 14: Into the liquid outer core, represented by large bubbles of some indescribable material circling around the track at fluctuating speeds. Electric currents in the outer core along with the rotation of the planet creates the Earth’s magnetic field, which protests the surface from solar winds, allowing life to flourish.

SCENE 15: Ascending back to the surface, the vehicles pass multiple smaller dioramas on either side of the track, showing modern industry harvesting the various resources found beneath the surface.

The unload platform features an exit tunnel made of incredible rock work, highlighted by gigantic glistening gems. This leads to a speed ramp/moving platform that takes guests into the post-show area.

The post-show area can also be accessed via a set of doors that are set off to the right of the main entrance to the pavilion.

Post-show features:

• Play area
  • Rock and mineral museum
  • Jewelry store
  • Earthquake simulator
  • Small theater? (“Making of Me” sized. Or for a modern comparison, “The Epcot Experience” display room).
  • Should we sell snacks? Rock Candy seems like a no brainer.
Wow. It copied this in a very strange manner. Hold on.

Oh. It’s because brackets do formatting. Hahaha. Okay hang on. I’m gonna fix it.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Beneath the Surface

The main entrance, queue, and load area are intentionally as muted and sterile as possible. This falls in line with traditional EPCOT Center.

Guests enter through a large foyer that quickly filters into a normal sized queue. Guests move quickly through multiple switchbacks via sloped ramps. A huge cross section model of Earth hangs overhead. Along the guardrails are four dialogue boxes briefly describing the crust, mantle, outer core, and inner core.

Entering a second room, guests are sorted into groups of 32 to board one of three elevators. These elevators will simulate descending below the surface of the planet, but in actuality will be moving on an upward angle to take riders to the loading platform on the second floor. The elevator trips are staggered to help distribute crowd flow.

The load platform is relatively barren. To the left is a large portal, dressed to look like a tunnel through a rock formation. Guests are sorted into eight rows of four to board their futuristic mine trains for a slow moving journey beneath the surface.

The dark portal is illuminated by occasional flickers of white light. Then guests finally enter the first show scene.

SCENE 1: A large curved screen shows an illustrated look at Earth in its infancy. A boiling lake of lava, entirely unrecognizable to what it will eventually become. (LEFT)

SCENE 2: Comets are seen cascading down onto the newborn rocky planet, providing it with water. (CENTER)

SCENE 3: A lush tropical jungle, with running water, rainfall, occasional thunder, and light wind. Used to introduce the water cycle. (CENTER)

SCENE 4: A cold room blanketed in white and blue, representing an ice age. (RIGHT)

SCENE 5: Glacier sheets are seen receding over North America, carving out the Great Lakes and other bodies of fresh water. This is very important to humans. (LEFT)

SCENE 6: Modern life forms on land and in bodies of water. (CENTER)

SCENE 7: A massive simulated ocean environment. Sea life is everywhere. The track passes right through what could be the Mariana Trench. (CENTER)

SCENE 8: A gorgeous shimmering limestone cave, covered with stalagmites. Used to introduce various rocks and minerals. (LEFT)

SCENE 9: Through a narrow cross section of earth showing the formation of diamonds over time. Starting with lumps of carbon and ending with the pure gems themselves. (CENTER)

SCENE 10: A massive rock quarry scene. The land now covered with mechanical beasts. (RIGHT)

SCENE 11: A warm room, coated in red and orange. Representing a magma chamber. (CENTER)

SCENE 12: Multiple overhead screens show volcanic eruptions, surrounding a main screen that illustrates how volcanoes work via animated cross section. The track then circles a massive model volcano under a starry night sky. (CENTER)

SCENE 13: Two ancient land masses are seen below, slowly being pulled apart. Above is a screen showing an illustration of the continents separating. Used to introduce plate tectonics and earthquakes. (RIGHT)

SCENE 14: Through the mantle, where convection currents are represented by numerous half circles forming archways over the track. These convection currents drive the plate tectonics on the surface. This process helps regulate the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and also allows nutrients locked away in mountains to become useful. (CENTER)

SCENE 15: Into the liquid outer core, represented by large bubbles of some indescribable material circling around the track at fluctuating speeds. Electric currents in the outer core along with the rotation of the planet creates the Earth’s magnetic field, which protests the surface from solar winds, allowing life to flourish. (CENTER)

SCENE 16: Ascending back to the surface, the vehicles pass multiple smaller dioramas on either side of the track, showing modern industry harvesting the various resources found beneath the surface. (CENTER)

The unload platform features an exit tunnel made of incredible rock work, highlighted by gigantic glistening gems. This leads to a speed ramp/moving platform that takes guests into the post-show area.

The post-show area can also be accessed via a set of doors that are set off to the right of the main entrance to the pavilion.

Post-show features:
  • Play area
  • Jewelry store
  • Earthquake simulator
  • Small theater? (“Making of Me” sized. Or for a modern comparison, “The Epcot Experience” display room).

Shannoninthemagic

What sort of things do we want in the palivion outside of the rides?
My intial thoughts- A restaurant- probs a full service ( mainly because FW is lacking in food options and secondly because we're taking Seas over)
Rock candy sounds good, Also those chocolate rocks
Maybe a small section on fossils.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
It seems most of our team is more comfortable in a more modern role and that makes sense. With @D Hulk mostly focused on visual elements this round, I’m kind of the only person actually “on” the 80s team but that is totally okay!! Under the circumstances, I can handle that haha. But could one person join @TwilightZone in the dedicated 90s era?
I am totally cool working in either of those eras!

I was just skimming last night and signed up for the modern era mostly because I was expecting everyone to be more into 80s or 90s lol

I probably won't be on too much today like how I was offline a lot yesterday. But starting tomorrow I'll be a LOT more active.
View attachment 541455

Any changes needed?​
That looks amazing! I really love the crystal building design!

Beneath the Surface

The dark portal is illuminated by occasional flickers of white light. Then guests finally enter the first show scene.

SCENE 1: A large curved screen shows an illustrated look at Earth in its infancy. A boiling lake of lava, entirely unrecognizable to what it will eventually become. (LEFT)

SCENE 2: Comets are seen cascading down onto the newborn rocky planet, providing it with water. (CENTER)

SCENE 3: A lush tropical jungle, with running water, rainfall, occasional thunder, and light wind. Used to introduce the water cycle. (CENTER)

SCENE 4: A cold room blanketed in white and blue, representing an ice age. (RIGHT)

SCENE 5: Glacier sheets are seen receding over North America, carving out the Great Lakes and other bodies of fresh water. This is very important to humans. (LEFT)

SCENE 6: Modern life forms on land and in bodies of water. (CENTER)

SCENE 7: A massive simulated ocean environment. Sea life is everywhere. The track passes right through what could be the Mariana Trench. (CENTER)

SCENE 8: A gorgeous shimmering limestone cave, covered with stalagmites. Used to introduce various rocks and minerals. (LEFT)

SCENE 9: Through a narrow cross section of earth showing the formation of diamonds over time. Starting with lumps of carbon and ending with the pure gems themselves. (CENTER)

SCENE 10: A massive rock quarry scene. The land now covered with mechanical beasts. (RIGHT)

SCENE 11: A warm room, coated in red and orange. Representing a magma chamber. (CENTER)

SCENE 12: Multiple overhead screens show volcanic eruptions, surrounding a main screen that illustrates how volcanoes work via animated cross section. The track then circles a massive model volcano under a starry night sky. (CENTER)

SCENE 13: Two ancient land masses are seen below, slowly being pulled apart. Above is a screen showing an illustration of the continents separating. Used to introduce plate tectonics and earthquakes. (RIGHT)

SCENE 14: Through the mantle, where convection currents are represented by numerous half circles forming archways over the track. These convection currents drive the plate tectonics on the surface. This process helps regulate the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and also allows nutrients locked away in mountains to become useful. (CENTER)

SCENE 15: Into the liquid outer core, represented by large bubbles of some indescribable material circling around the track at fluctuating speeds. Electric currents in the outer core along with the rotation of the planet creates the Earth’s magnetic field, which protests the surface from solar winds, allowing life to flourish. (CENTER)

SCENE 16: Ascending back to the surface, the vehicles pass multiple smaller dioramas on either side of the track, showing modern industry harvesting the various resources found beneath the surface. (CENTER)

Post-show features:
  • Play area
  • Jewelry store
  • Earthquake simulator
This looks amazing!

Although didn't Universe of Energy cover Scenes 1-6? Or is that just the newer version?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I am totally cool working in either of those eras!

I was just skimming last night and signed up for the modern era mostly because I was expecting everyone to be more into 80s or 90s lol

I probably won't be on too much today like how I was offline a lot yesterday. But starting tomorrow I'll be a LOT more active.

That looks amazing! I really love the crystal building design!

This looks amazing!

Although didn't Universe of Energy cover Scenes 1-6? Or is that just the newer version?
That’s more the Ellen version, but I definitely see the comparison. UoE, even in its original form, did still deal with ancient earth in a number of ways. Hmmmm.

If we feel it’s too redundant, we can cut it, or just greatly reduce it.

I do feel the earth receiving it’s water and the glaciers are important. And that’s not covered at all by UoE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom