Team Durango Brainstorming Thread - Project Three: Animation Domination

PerGron

The thing is we need to try and balance going out of the box with choosing something realistic and relevant. Whatever we choose has to be something that would draw people in. I agree that DuckTales and some of that stuff is too obvious, but I’d bet that 90% or more people under the age of 20 have no idea what Johnny Quest or Wild Thornberrys is... it sort of goes back to our debate over the LOTR project. We need to pick something that’ll attract people and not just be so unique that we get creativity points without realism points.

That’s fair. Since I seem to be older than most of you and more familiar with this stuff, I’ll throw it to the youngins. What shows from the pre-2000s era are you guys actually familiar enough to tackle besides Ducktales and Spongebob since it seems most of us are in agreement on those two

PerGron

I think He-Man toes the line perfectly between an iconic but surprising choice. It's the epiphany of 80s cheese that most younger generations have seen in passing, even if they have no idea where it comes from. But it's also wildcard enough to win us creativity points. Especially if we go all-in with the cheesiness and create an almost self-aware dark ride.

View attachment 474932

But best of all... a sequel series is supposed to come out: https://news.sky.com/story/by-the-power-of-netflix-new-he-man-series-announced-11788963

Which means this old, outside the box IP is soon to be very relevant for younger audiences!

He Man would certainly be a ton of fun, especially if we go balls to the wall in the cheese department. Maybe even throw back to that one meme that literally everyone knows in some way (queue music?)

Outbound

I'm down with learning new material. We just also want to remember that for every "creativity" point we consider, we should also remember the "realism" point. (Just looking at your recommendations, Wild Thornberries actually isn't that old and could totally also work in a Nickelodeon area. Never seen the show but I recall the characters being on Nick banners).

CookieMouse

Batman is mentioned as one that we can’t use so that’s out. As for phineas and ferb, it’s also mentioned and since it didn’t premiere until 2008, I don’t think we can get by on a technicality.

I really don’t mean to keep knocking down your ideas either, but I do recommend you read the prompt a bit more thoroughly
Batman The Animated Series came out in 1992. I don’t see why it can’t count.

CookieMouse

That’s fair. Since I seem to be older than most of you and more familiar with this stuff, I’ll throw it to the youngins. What shows from the pre-2000s era are you guys actually familiar enough to tackle besides Ducktales and Spongebob since it seems most of us are in agreement on those two
I’m also very familiar with dexters lab via boomerang. It is a lot like phineas and ferb IMO. There’s even a secret agent pet subplot. How about dexters lab?

Disneylover152

I've said it before but I'm familiar with all the Hanna-Barbera cartoons best.

PerGron

Alright, first and foremost, I don't wanna become defacto PM this round as I feel like I'm starting to be. I already held that role in round one and while it technically doesn't count towards the "Everyone must PM once before someone goes twice" rule, I don't think it'd be fair for me to have a second leadership role in this one. I'd really like to give someone new a chance at PM'ing so if you'd like to be the leader for the round, please feel free to volunteer.

It's important to remember as a leader not to take complete control of the project. You need to listen to your team and serve as the one steering the conversation, not dictating it. If you're the leader you don't get to decide what the project is any more than you do if you're a player, but you do get to be the one organizing and helping out the rest of your team. It's always a lot of fun to PM since it 1. gives you a chance to lead a project. 2. It gives you a chance at elimination immunity, and 3. gives you a chance to learn some humility and learn how to not dictate the game, something I definitely had to learn back in SA V, Endgame.

So, with that said, any volunteers for the position?

PerGron

I’d offer to take it but I think it should go to someone more familiar with the whole pre-2000s animation space.
If you'd like to take it, I really do think getting on with something you're not as familiar with is a great way to get along in a comp like this. I know when I was PM one round in SA V, we were put in charge of designing a water park. Now, I hate swimming more than a lot of things, so it definitely provided a unique challenge there. Having not actually been to a water park since I was five or six, it provided a real challenge, but as PM it also gave me the opportunity to learn a lot through doing that type of challenge and working with something I wasn't very familiar with.

Of course, if you're just not comfortable, that's totally fair, but if you'd like to give it a try, I think you'd be a great fit. You're one of our most active teammates and you don't actually have to be knowledgable about the topic itself either. Another round I pm'd in Endgame, we had to design a HHN house and we went with Bendy and the Ink Machine. Now I'd never played Bendy, but in the end we came out winning that round, so I don't think the IP itself is as important as your leadership skills themselves.

It's 100% up to you though so don't think I'm pushing you. Moreso just... encouraging.

PerGron

In the meantime, I've got to admit, last round was a toughie. It was shorter, it took all three teams half of the time to get settled on an idea, then we debated what to do when we were assigned land where most of us were set on sea. Then add on to that that some of our players were (understandably) busy last round, and all in all, we kind of dropped the ball (pun intended) and if it weren't for @Outbound and their amazing video and Minecraft skills, I fear we weren't up to our A-game as a team and I fear a lot of that falls on me. I was adamant about my museum idea and I feel it hit us a little harder creatively, and for that, I apologize.

So maybe I'm preemptively predicting what we're going to hear in the podcast for critiques, but I wanted to make sure everyone knows that we're a great team together and let's prove it this time!

goofyyukyuk

I think all of us had room for improvement, and without Outbound’s video, it probably would’ve been significantly worse... I think we did the best job we could’ve with the hand we were dealt other than possibly including hole descriptions (I still wish we’d gotten sea considering it was our idea for the themes), but I’m still super proud of how we performed. Hopefully everyone can be more active this time around so that we can put our best foot forward on this next project.

goofyyukyuk

Great job everyone! So if I'm our PM for this one, I think we need to have a theme and a storyline for our ride by the end of Monday so that we have 3 full days before the due date to work on our individual projects... so do we want to narrow it down to a specific studio or just jump right in and decide on an IP?

PerGron

Great job everyone! So if I'm our PM for this one, I think we need to have a theme and a storyline for our ride by the end of Monday so that we have 3 full days before the due date to work on our individual projects... so do we want to narrow it down to a specific studio or just jump right in and decide on an IP?

So everyone definitely seems to know Hanna-Barbera as a studio, but I'd be interested in hearing exactly what properties they know from the studio, because there are quite a few in there.

Out of the ones that have garnered some traction, I really do like the idea of He-Man personally, but if it becomes an issue where some teammates aren't familiar or comfortable enough to run with it, then we can always choose something else.

But really, I think we debate a bit more on the IP we're going to choose rather than the studio itself, but it's up to your discretion, so whatever you think we should do

goofyyukyuk

I'd agree that the studio everyone seems most familiar with is Hanna-Barbera, but like you, I'm interested by He-Man as well.
I found this list of a bunch of HB cartoons: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls064012024/
The ones that stand out include Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Jetsons, Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Johnny Quest, The Smurfs, and Tom and Jerry. I think some of these (i.e. Scooby Doo) would be viewed as extremely obvious, but a lot of them (Tom and Jerry, Jetsons, Yogi to name a few) are both timeless and not as "obvious" in my opinion as others.

Disneylover152

So everyone definitely seems to know Hanna-Barbera as a studio, but I'd be interested in hearing exactly what properties they know from the studio, because there are quite a few in there.

Out of the ones that have garnered some traction, I really do like the idea of He-Man personally, but if it becomes an issue where some teammates aren't familiar or comfortable enough to run with it, then we can always choose something else.

But really, I think we debate a bit more on the IP we're going to choose rather than the studio itself, but it's up to your discretion, so whatever you think we should do

Going through the list, these are the ones I've either seen or heard of- Yogi Bear, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Smurfs, and Tom and Jerry. Out of all of those, I think either the Flintstones or The Jetsons have the most potential for attractions- Scooby Doo as well but I think it has had quite a few attractions over the years at many parks, not sure if we should go down that route.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom