Team Durango Brainstorming Thread - Project Three: Animation Domination

CookieMouse

Project Three: Animation Domination
1591411114041.png

Here we come to one of the most open ended and fun projects of the season. For this round, teams will design a dark ride based around an animated series from the era of their choice. (pre-2000s) This will be a stand-alone attraction to go into a park of your choosing and can be Disney, Universal, or even Six Flags if you choose to go the Looney Tunes route. The only requirement is that it must be based on an IP that started life as an animated series. IE no Aladdin, Batman, or anything of that nature.

Oh yea, and did I mention you have to go old school on this? For older members of the cast, working with animated properties from 1999 and before might seem like an advantage, for most of the younger cast the lack of obvious IPs like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb can potentially make things difficult. Either way, communication is going to be key this round as I'm sure there will be strong opinions on exactly what IP you want to go with. The attraction being created should be a stand-alone dark ride that can fit into a pre-existing land in a park of your choosing. An entrance plaza for the ride is fine, but please nothing beyond that. The scale of this should be a D ticket at the most ambitious. We'll get to a proper E ticket project later.

Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 12th at 11:59PM Eastern
Can we do a battle for bikini bottom inspired dark ride, despite it being from the 2000s, but the series was from 1999?

CookieMouse

I know it’s for older audiences, but I think we could do a South Park ride. If not, an interactive dark ride based off of spongebob! I’ve been watching a lot of South Park lately, and I love it! My idea is a ride where you board the South Park school bus on a tour of the town. Another idea is a parody of Mr toads wild ride with Bart Simpson. He goes on a joyride around town and wreaks havoc, only to end up in hell at the end. This could also be done with South Park too. What do you guys think of these ideas?

Outbound

I cast a triple vote for South Park, Simpsons and spongebob!

My only concern with the Simpsons is that it's already been well used by Universal and it might cost us in the creativity tab (though I know it way more than any other pre-2000s cartoon). South Park is original but I worry it may be too adult for a theme park.

Spongebob is a strong possibility, the only issue may be its obviousness.

CookieMouse

My only concern with the Simpsons is that it's already been well used by Universal and it might cost us in the creativity tab (though I know it way more than any other pre-2000s cartoon). South Park is original but I worry it may be too adult for a theme park.

Spongebob is a strong possibility, the only issue may be its obviousness.
I don’t think we have to worry about the adult factor. Maybe put an age limit on it and/or tone it down slightly

PerGron

I know it’s for older audiences, but I think we could do a South Park ride. If not, an interactive dark ride based off of spongebob! I’ve been watching a lot of South Park lately, and I love it! My idea is a ride where you board the South Park school bus on a tour of the town. Another idea is a parody of Mr toads wild ride with Bart Simpson. He goes on a joyride around town and wreaks havoc, only to end up in hell at the end. This could also be done with South Park too. What do you guys think of these ideas?
I’d refrain from the simpsons since they already have a land at universal and our ride has to be a stand alone attraction, so I’d stray from them.

I brought up South Park, but at the same time, I’d hesitate to use it, not because it’s not a creative choice, but because of the content. While sure, we could avoid things like Scott Tenerman and some of the racist plotlines, but unlike the Simpsons which may use slightly darker humor in some episodes, South Park is definitely reliant on dark humor and satire and I feel like you couldn’t really do a South Park ride without greatly offending a bunch of people, and while that’s fine for a tv show, it doesn’t really help theme parks.

SpongeBob is good choice since it did technically originate in 1999, therefore making the cutoff, but at the same time, I’d be wary about it as it does feel like a safe bet. However, I do think we keep it on the table for the initial discussions

CookieMouse

SpongeBob is good choice since it did technically originate in 1999, therefore making the cutoff, but at the same time, I’d be wary about it as it does feel like a safe bet. However, I do think we keep it on the table for the initial discussions
@TheOriginalTiki said we could do a ride based off the battle for bikini bottom game, which was an idea I had.

Disneylover152

Something to note with spongebob is that I don’t think universal owns the rights to use the property in rideable form. I think those rights have been given to the Triple Five Group, who owns two indoor Nickelodeon theme parks in Minnesota and New Jersey.

CookieMouse

Something to note with spongebob is that I don’t think universal owns the rights to use the property in rideable form. I think those rights have been given to the Triple Five Group, who owns two indoor Nickelodeon theme parks in Minnesota and New Jersey.
I think not, because what about the spongebob 4d movies? I think in reality they could work around it.

CookieMouse

Phineas and ferb technically originated in 1991.It was passed around to multiple networks, including Nickelodeon. I think phineas and ferb feels more like something from Nickelodeon.

goofyyukyuk

I’m pretty sure Batman doesn’t fit because it didn’t originate as an animated series.
I’d say South Park is too adult for a dark ride, and Phineas and Ferb didn’t air until 2008.
Spongebob and the Simpsons are both strong ideas, but as has been mentioned, they seem pretty obvious, which is what we lost most of our points on for the LOTR project.
I’d say Hanna Barbera is pretty rich in different options from the Flintstones to the Jetsons to Huckleberry Hound to Scooby Doo to The Smurfs to Yogi Bear... those are pretty universally recognized icons for the most part, and I don’t know how “obvious” they are.

PerGron

How about a ride based on batman the animated series?
Batman is mentioned as one that we can’t use so that’s out. As for phineas and ferb, it’s also mentioned and since it didn’t premiere until 2008, I don’t think we can get by on a technicality.

I really don’t mean to keep knocking down your ideas either, but I do recommend you read the prompt a bit more thoroughly

PerGron

I really think we try to pick something a little more out of the box this time around. Even if it requires more research on all of our parts, I think something wholly unique may really benefit us.

Choosing Ducktales, Spongebob, Simpson’s, Darkwing Duck, etc. just feel so safe. Hell, even some of the Hannah-Barberra stuff is a safe pick. I say we shoot for the stars on this one and do something the judges wouldn’t expect. If it ends up hurting us, I’ll take the fall.

Obviously I want the selected IP to be fun, but where so many of you are younger and aren’t really familiar with any of the IP, it gives a bit more freedom to explore new stuff and challenge ourselves. Personally I’m on team Johnny Quest or Wild Thornberrys as I feel they’re both great choices that can be both unique but still iconic enough to warrant a ride

goofyyukyuk

The thing is we need to try and balance going out of the box with choosing something realistic and relevant. Whatever we choose has to be something that would draw people in. I agree that DuckTales and some of that stuff is too obvious, but I’d bet that 90% or more people under the age of 20 have no idea what Johnny Quest or Wild Thornberrys is... it sort of goes back to our debate over the LOTR project. We need to pick something that’ll attract people and not just be so unique that we get creativity points without realism points.

Outbound

The thing is we need to try and balance going out of the box with choosing something realistic and relevant. Whatever we choose has to be something that would draw people in. I agree that DuckTales and some of that stuff is too obvious, but I’d bet that 90% or more people under the age of 20 have no idea what Johnny Quest or Wild Thornberrys is... it sort of goes back to our debate over the LOTR project. We need to pick something that’ll attract people and not just be so unique that we get creativity points without realism points.

I think He-Man toes the line perfectly between an iconic but surprising choice. It's the epiphany of 80s cheese that most younger generations have seen in passing, even if they have no idea where it comes from. But it's also wildcard enough to win us creativity points. Especially if we go all-in with the cheesiness and create an almost self-aware dark ride.

1591476233757.png

But best of all... a sequel series is supposed to come out: https://news.sky.com/story/by-the-power-of-netflix-new-he-man-series-announced-11788963

Which means this old, outside the box IP is soon to be very relevant for younger audiences!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom