Team Danny DeVito From Dumbo - Wonders of the World

Outbound

In this case, Versailles has won the vote!

Does anyone have any ideas for roles they’d like to take for the project?

Some ideas:
• Ride Description (2-3 people)
• Queue
• Exterior?
• Nearby Gift Shop?
• Presentation?
• Map?

Feel free to suggest other roles. This is the last round before the semifinals, so I’d encourage everyone to go all out. If you have a crazy role idea, go for it!

DisneyFan18

Some ideas:
• Queue
• Exterior?
• Nearby Gift Shop?
• Presentation?
• Map?

Feel free to suggest other roles. This is the last round before the semifinals, so I’d encourage everyone to go all out. If you have a crazy role idea, go for it!
I would like to work on the Ride Description. I know some Basic French (it used to be Intermediate French but I haven’t practiced in a while) so that can come in handy.

NateD1226

Some ideas:
• Queue
• Exterior?
• Nearby Gift Shop?
• Presentation?
• Map?

I am going to go out of my comfort zone and take the map! I’ll also take the gift shop

Mickeynerd17

Some ideas:
• Queue
• Exterior?
• Nearby Gift Shop?
• Presentation?
• Map?

Ahh! Y'all are so fast!

I was going to do queue and exterior, but that's taken. I really don't know what I'm doing...

Maybe ride description? Idk...

EDIT: Screw it. I'll take ride description!!! I need dialogue practice anyway.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Some ideas:
• Queue
• Exterior?
• Nearby Gift Shop?
• Presentation?
• Map?

I'll take the presentation!

Outbound

DAY TWO: ROLE ASSIGNMENTS
Great! I'll sign up for the ride description and a project introduction. Here are our roles:

I was going to create a private PM for the ride description, but honestly, there are only seven of us here so I don't see the need. Let's streamline things and keep all the brainstorming in this thread.

Last edited:

NateD1226

Great! I'll sign up for the ride description and a project introduction. Here are our roles:

I was going to create a private PM for the ride description, but honestly, there are only seven of us here so I don't see the need. Let's streamline things and keep all the brainstorming in this thread.
I also wanted to do the map :)

Outbound

@DisneyFan18 @ThemeParkPriest @Mickeynerd17 so my thinking is we use the Carousel of Progress method to create four sequences (plus a load/unload section). Each sequence is approximately 7 minutes and features a distinct time period relating to the history of Versailles. I propose the sequences be ordered as:
  • PRESHOW: 1661, Louis XIV arrives at a small Hunting Lodge and promises to renovate the Palace into the center of his rule.
  • ACT ONE - THE SUN KING: 1701, Louis XIV presides over a court of European Royals, showcasing his dominating presence thanks to the grand expansion of Versailles.
  • ACT TWO - THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: 1789, Louis XIV's grandson, Louis XVI, and his wife Marie Antonie fearfully notice the growing mob outside the Palace. There is much discussion about the cause of the Revolution and the downfall of the monarchy since Louis XIV's death. At the end of this scene, the royals decide to flee Versailles, where they never return.
  • ACT THREE - THE PEOPLE'S PALACE: 1871, Emperor Napolean III hosts European royals to the Palace, which has become an art museum dedicated to the French people's history. A number of conversations about French history up to this point occur. The scene abruptly ends when the Germans storm the Palace and proclaim victory over the French in the Franco-Prussian War in the Hall of Mirrors.
  • ACT FOUR - PEACE IN OUR TIME: 1919, the victorious Allied powers, including leaders David Lloyd George, Georges Clemenceau, and Woodrow Wilson, discuss the end of World War 1 in the Hall of Mirrors. Clemenceau briefly comments on how much history the palace has seen and how renovations will continue for a museum. The scene ends with the signing of the treaty and the promise of "peace in our time".
  • POSTSHOW: 2021, the Palace has since been refurbished as promised in the last scene, and a formal museum installed. We can now all witness the grandeur of Louis XIV's dream.

1628014480002.png

Thoughts? Trying to cram a LOT of history into four scenes, so some stuff is inevitably cut. I'm imagining each scene would be a bit longer than CoP, with individual conversations between the animatronics relaying to guests the history of Versailles between the scenes.

ThemeParkPriest

I'm curious how to get to Versailles, so I'll probably do an add-on section of "Getting There."

Ride people: how serious do we want it to be? I'm thinking pretty serious (after all, it is historical) but maybe some lighter, more endearing moments. Will it only be historical figures? Is the "host" basically just an announcer or are they in every scene? Do we want to have a catchy song to tie everything together (e.g. for the scene transitions)?

Outbound

I'm curious how to get to Versailles, so I'll probably do an add-on section of "Getting There."

Ride people: how serious do we want it to be? I'm thinking pretty serious (after all, it is historical) but maybe some lighter, more endearing moments. Will it only be historical figures? Is the "host" basically just an announcer or are they in every scene? Do we want to have a catchy song to tie everything together (e.g. for the scene transitions)?
Good idea! I’ll add that to the list (do you want the role?)

Im not sure how “serious” we want to make it. Keep in mind this will be made by the palace so they probably wouldn’t want certain events or characters to be played as jokes. But at the same time, I see the reasoning towards trying to open up to families through catchy songs or a “host” character (maybe played as a cartoon rooster, the National animal of France)?

DisneyFan18

@DisneyFan18 @ThemeParkPriest @Mickeynerd17 so my thinking is we use the Carousel of Progress method to create four sequences (plus a load/unload section). Each sequence is approximately 7 minutes and features a distinct time period relating to the history of Versailles. I propose the sequences be ordered as:
  • PRESHOW: 1661, Louis XIV arrives at a small Hunting Lodge and promises to renovate the Palace into the center of his rule.
  • ACT ONE - THE SUN KING: 1701, Louis XIV presides over a court of European Royals, showcasing his dominating presence thanks to the grand expansion of Versailles.
  • ACT TWO - THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: 1789, Louis XIV's grandson, Louis XVI, and his wife Marie Antonie fearfully notice the growing mob outside the Palace. There is much discussion about the cause of the Revolution and the downfall of the monarchy since Louis XIV's death. At the end of this scene, the royals decide to flee Versailles, where they never return.
  • ACT THREE - THE PEOPLE'S PALACE: 1871, Emperor Napolean III hosts European royals to the Palace, which has become an art museum dedicated to the French people's history. A number of conversations about French history up to this point occur. The scene abruptly ends when the Germans storm the Palace and proclaim victory over the French in the Franco-Prussian War in the Hall of Mirrors.
  • ACT FOUR - PEACE IN OUR TIME: 1919, the victorious Allied powers, including leaders David Lloyd George, Georges Clemenceau, and Woodrow Wilson, discuss the end of World War 1 in the Hall of Mirrors. Clemenceau briefly comments on how much history the palace has seen and how renovations will continue for a museum. The scene ends with the signing of the treaty and the promise of "peace in our time".
  • POSTSHOW: 2021, the Palace has since been refurbished as promised in the last scene, and a formal museum installed. We can now all witness the grandeur of Louis XIV's dream.

View attachment 577074

Thoughts? Trying to cram a LOT of history into four scenes, so some stuff is inevitably cut. I'm imagining each scene would be a bit longer than CoP, with individual conversations between the animatronics relaying to guests the history of Versailles between the scenes.
I like this description a lot. It’s sounds like it will be very educational. And I think the way it’s structured works. However, I have one question: have we decided the tone of the show? Will it be something very serious or something more leaning into edutainment?

Also, I think we should try to push the boundaries of what we can do with the theatrical experience, maybe we can add some projection mapping and stuff like that?

And finally, would it be possible for the audio to be reproduced in earphones? That way we can have different audio options since our goal is to attract tourism and that way visitors can understand perfectly what’s being said. Although I’m not sure if it would work with the mouth animation and stuff.

Outbound

I like this description a lot. It’s sounds like it will be very educational. And I think the way it’s structured works. However, I have one question: have we decided the tone of the show? Will it be something very serious or something more leaning into edutainment?

Also, I think we should try to push the boundaries of what we can do with the theatrical experience, maybe we can add some projection mapping and stuff like that?

And finally, would it be possible for the audio to be reproduced in earphones? That way we can have different audio options since our goal is to attract tourism and that way visitors can understand perfectly what’s being said. Although I’m not sure if it would work with the mouth animation and stuff.
I love the headphones idea! By default the ride will be in French, but adding headphones will help international guests get the same experience and story!

For new advancements, maybe something inspired by the new moving animatronics by Disney? The animatronics populating each scene could walk around and engage dynamically with each other.

The only worries with this is 1). does it make sense for Versailles to be developing theme park tech on par with Disneyland, and 2). this is giving me big-time flashbacks to Team Ringling’s Renaissance art project in DisneySea. @Mickeynerd17 @ThemeParkPriest remember that? Anyways we can set this attraction apart from what came before?

ThemeParkPriest

Good idea! I’ll add that to the list (do you want the role?)
Sure, I'll take it! It's closer to downtown Paris than I thought (but still not super close).
2). this is giving me big-time flashbacks to Team Ringling’s Renaissance art project in DisneySea. @Mickeynerd17 @ThemeParkPriest remember that? Anyways we can set this attraction apart from what came before?
Yeah I found it a little hard to believe that we have decided on another CoP style attraction. No voting at the end of the show in this one, please!
The only worries with this is 1). does it make sense for Versailles to be developing theme park tech on par with Disneyland,
In and of itself no. But what if it was part of a partnership between Disneyland Paris and France to pool together resources? It might have been hard to imagine when Euro Disney was first planning/opening (Exhibit A--Michael Eisner getting tomatoes thrown at him), but I think it's feasible for them to do a stand-alone attraction together. I'll also mention how to get from Disneyland Paris to the Palace of Versailles in the "How to Get There" section.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom