Team Danny DeVito From Dumbo - Project Ten: Roll the Dice

DisneyFan18

We’re around 25 hours away from the deadline for Mr. Toad’s Wild Game. To recap what has been discussed so far. The winner is the last person on the board, you loose if you get to the end. There will potentially be longer paths instead of shortcuts, however they come with some undefined added risk. There will also potentially be some sort of “chance” cards, however their impact on the overall gameplay remains undetermined. And finally, for the way the people will move their “rides” (assuming the player pieces are the attraction’s ride vehicles in different colors) the current proposal is the following:
  • Roll 1-3, lose the challenge and advance several steps forward
  • Roll 4-6, win the challenges and move several steps back
If I missed or misunderstood anything in the recap, please let me know.

@Outbound @Mickeynerd17 since the card design will requiere some design besides writing the content for them, do you think we could begin working on them early tomorrow? I believe we have to design both challenge and chance cards.

Outbound

My idea is for the board to be based around a standard “Candyland” layout, with players rolling dice to move forward… so typically 1 is the best and 6 the worst.

However there’s a number of challenge and chance spots that spice up the game. Players can choose whether to engage in the challenges and chance spots, developing strategy: if you are doing well, maybe don’t take the risk, but if you are losing why not go for broke?

Along the way each area is themed to a section of the attraction, with challenge (trivia) and chance (dice roll) cards themed to that region.

DisneyFan18

My idea is for the board to be based around a standard “Candyland” layout, with players rolling dice to move forward… so typically 1 is the best and 6 the worst.

However there’s a number of challenge and chance spots that spice up the game. Players can choose whether to engage in the challenges and chance spots, developing strategy: if you are doing well, maybe don’t take the risk, but if you are losing why not go for broke?

Along the way each area is themed to a section of the attraction, with challenge (trivia) and chance (dice roll) cards themed to that region.
I love the idea! This sounds like a lot of fun. Quick thought for the chance cards, maybe each one can have a specific challenge? For example: Get a sum of 7 or more after rolling the dice twice to move 3 steps back. Another example: Get an odd number after rolling the dice once or move 5 steps forward.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Here's my first attempt at the Instruction Booklet:

I'm still trying to figure out how to include full color pictures of the box and board design without breaking the illusion of the two color Instruction Booklet.
I'm going to either combine or keep separate the credits and the fake copyright information depending on how many pages we have so that we can have a back of the book once I convert this to a PDF.
Feel free to drop in your stuff once you're done (and that includes pictures). I'll format it and if necessary convert the pictures to the black and blue color scheme. Or not, If you all decide to just post in this thread your portion I'll be fine with that.
If you're worried about you're stuff being too long for one page, don't worry, there's no problem with having a section take up multiple pages.
I can make you a monochromatic version of the art when I get home from work ☺️💜

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
We’re around 25 hours away from the deadline for Mr. Toad’s Wild Game. To recap what has been discussed so far. The winner is the last person on the board, you loose if you get to the end. There will potentially be longer paths instead of shortcuts, however they come with some undefined added risk. There will also potentially be some sort of “chance” cards, however their impact on the overall gameplay remains undetermined. And finally, for the way the people will move their “rides” (assuming the player pieces are the attraction’s ride vehicles in different colors) the current proposal is the following:
  • Roll 1-3, lose the challenge and advance several steps forward
  • Roll 4-6, win the challenges and move several steps back
If I missed or misunderstood anything in the recap, please let me know.

@Outbound @Mickeynerd17 since the card design will requiere some design besides writing the content for them, do you think we could begin working on them early tomorrow? I believe we have to design both challenge and chance cards.
What if the dice roll chance thing was varied just slightly? Like 1&2 resulted in a loss and 5&6 resulted in a win but then 3&4 could be something else???

Mickeynerd17

I like this idea! It actually would work perfectly with another idea I have.

We could spice things up a bit by adding a policeman figurine that follows the players as they go through the board (because your being chased by the police in the ride resulting in the courtroom and jail.) Having the figure land on your spot or pass you would penalize you in some fashion, and it would add some extra chance into the game while being thematically consistent.
What if the dice roll chance thing was varied just slightly? Like 1&2 resulted in a loss and 5&6 resulted in a win but then 3&4 could be something else???
Rolling a 3 or 4 could advance the policeman one or two spaces respectively, or something like that!

Also, I think the player pieces should be miniature cars just like the ride vehicles. It only seems fitting we do that.

ThemeParkPriest

We could spice things up a bit by adding a policeman figurine that follows the players as they go through the board (because your being chased by the police in the ride resulting in the courtroom and jail.) Having the figure land on your spot or pass you would penalize you in some fashion, and it would add some extra chance into the game while being thematically consistent.
Rolling a 3 or 4 could advance the policeman one or two spaces respectively, or something like that!
Yeah that could work! One option would be the policeman to take a straight path with the player paths weaving through it. moving the policeman forward one space could be part of a player’s turn.

ThemeParkPriest

Here is what I'm thinking the long sides of the box could look like. I combined Sharon&Susan's imagery with the color from Tegan's front of box. I have a classic Clue box, so I'll use that is inspiration. For the 3D box, the most difficult things will be (1) the back of the box) and (2) getting the sizes right on the images.
MrToadRideSide.png

Sharon&Susan

Here is what I'm thinking the long sides of the box could look like. I combined Sharon&Susan's imagery with the color from Tegan's front of box. I have a classic Clue box, so I'll use that is inspiration. For the 3D box, the most difficult things will be (1) the back of the box) and (2) getting the sizes right on the images.
View attachment 575216
That looks great! I have two of the assets here in color with no background to give you more flexibility:
Toadcastle.png

DisneyFan18

@Outbound @Mickeynerd17 what I was thinking we could for the card description stuff is on one slide have a paragraph that explains the gimmick of the card (and that it’s optional for the player to take it) with the front and back of the card showcased at the bottom. Followed by sample trivia questions/chance challenges, in the next slide.

And for the player piece we can do only slide describing them and an example. I believe @Mickeynerd17 suggested making them like the ride vehicles and I’m all for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom