Teachers!

Feralpeg

I don't know about the public schools, but I taught high school English in a private school last year. I made $27k for ten months.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Planning to leave beautiful downtown Winterpeg?

The springtime chorus of the Red River lapping at your sandbags?

The hypnotic rhythm of the ruts in the ring road restructuring you car's undercarriage?

:eek:

Whatever are you thinking girl?!?!?!?

At least consider moving to Ottawa....

:lookaroun

:D

primetime52

I don't know about the public schools, but I taught high school English in a private school last year. I made $27k for ten months.

I'm not a teacher, but I know a few, and I'm pretty sure that most public school teachers make over $30k and get good benefits. Just be sure to find a good school district so that you aren't risking your life every day :lol:. You know how kids can be these days.

H20Babie

Original Poster
Wow, that's low!

And MontyMon, unless I can get my ex and his partner to move down there too, I'm pretty sure I'd be SOL. I was more thinking way, way into the future ... when DS is 18 and off at college :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Teachers in Canada are grossly underpaid... Seems it's worse in the States! :eek:

Rabflmom

Teachers in Canada are grossly underpaid... Seems it's worse in the States! :eek:
>>>>>>>

I think in most counties starting teachers are making $30-35,000 now, but way below what is needed to live in many cities or to raise a family on so add on travel time and gas etc. Teachers, cops, and firefighters-all needed but underpaid.
We also ended up paying for lots of stuff for our classrooms and students because of lack of funding. As for good benefits--- not really. No holiday pay, expensive insurance, and you get paid only for the 180 days school is in so no paid vacations. Usually you have 6-10 sick days. Some public schools have dress codes that can get expensive for the teachers too. When I was teaching I was at a school where the teachers were expected to dress rather well for the job, Jackets if you wore dress pants, dresses, pantyhose no jeans, and no tennis shoes etc. Even our school volunteers/applecorps had to wear jackets, no jeans, no spandex, etc. to come in and work with the kids.

H20Babie

Original Poster
That's really interesting ...

Just to compare, here we get paid the annual salary over the entire year (not just 10 month school year). We also get 20 sick days per year, which accumulate if unusued. Some divisions outside the city now have driving allowances. There is also an extra-curricular incentive, so if you are involved in extra-curricular activities outside of school time, those hours accumulate into vacation days that you can take during the school year (but it is capped). Otherwise, we are limited to taking vacations over the breaks. We have also have a deferred salary plan, so that if you want to take a year off and travel or go back to school, you can. Benefits include dental, short term disability, long term disability, accident and life, as well as extended medical. Our teacher associations provide counselling, new teacher support, legal aid and the like. Most divisions also have eight PD days per year.

But I do agree; for all teachers, firefighters and police do, they are just not paid enough. Here's one perspective:

"I’m fed up with teachers and their hefty salary schedules. What we need here is a little perspective.

If I had my way, I’d pay these teachers myself-I’d pay them baby-sitting wages. That’s right-I’d rather give them $3 an hour out of my own pocket than pay my outrageous taxes. I’m only going to pay them for five hours, not lunch or coffee breaks. That would be $15.00 a day. Each parent should pay $15 a day for these teachers to babysit their child. Even if they have more than one child, it’s still a lot cheaper than private daycare.

Now, how many children do they teach every day-maybe 20? That’s $15×20=$300 a day. But remember they only work 180 days a year! I’m not going to pay them for vacations! $300×180=$54,000. (Just a minute, I think my calculator needs new batteries.)

I know you teachers will say-What about those who have 10 years experience and a Master’s Degree? Well, maybe (to be fair) they could get the minimum wage, and instead of just babysitting, they could read the kids a story. We could round that off to about $5 an hour, times five hours, times 20 children. That’s $500 a day times 180 days. That’s $90,000….HUH?

Wait a minute, let’s get a little perspective here. Babysitting wages are too good for these teachers. Has anyone seen a salary schedule around here?”
~Anonymous~

:)

Montyboy

Teachers do more than their share of complaining when it comes to compensation. I didn't select my field for the paycheck, and I suspect most teachers didn't as well.
Look at nursing the past few years. Not enough nurses - salaries have gone up, and signing bonuses. There must be a reason people are drawn to teaching, and it's not the money.

Having said that, the teachers in my school district are a pretty quiet bunch.

A quick search yielded the following:
"At $53,258, Pennsylvania was ranked 10th in the nation for average teacher salaries in 2005"

Montyboy

I should be a little clearer. I didn't mean to imply that teachers are overpaid or underpaid - just that I'm amazed at how surpised they seem when they find out, for their education, they don't get paid well.

H20Babie

Original Poster
I totally agree Montyboy. My journey into teaching is a little complex. I'm not in it for the money (although it is a decent salary here, and more than I would be making my if I kept my paralegal job). We do it because we love it and if we can change one child's life for the better, it's worth it.

EPCOT Explorer

Horrible!Espicially in Miami.Salleries are terrible and so are the conditions.My Dad's a teacher and has to work two jobs because of the pay.

Also,Florida is the 50th worst state for spending $$$ per student.

At least we have Disney.:lol:

:cry:

glamgurl36

wow 27 seems pretty low for a teachers salary. i saw that statistic before about pa. yeah i would say they make around 50 grand up here if you are experienced

PeoplemoverTTA

I am not a teacher here in Buffalo, but I have a temporary teaching certificate in Florida and pursued some opportunities last year. I received an offer for low $20s...here in Buffalo, with a bachelor's and state certification new teachers can expect to make around $35k. With a master's (which is required within either 3 or 5 years of initial certification), teachers can expect to make low 40s to start. Within a few years, that number rises dramatically.

My town and I believe 4 or 5 other suburbs of Buffalo were featured in a national study recently about the most affordable housing and cost of living in the country (all were ranked in the top 25 towns in the country).

My friend bought a 4 bedroom, 1.5 bath house with a screened in porch, basement and attic in a Buffalo suburb for $71k. She put another $15k in for wood floors and new windows. It's ridiculous how inexpensive it is to live here. Still, people flock to Florida (myself included, some day) for the weather. Honestly, it's not so bad here. This week has been the coldest of the entire winter, by far. We've had our driveway plowed 3 times all winter, and the season is almost over.

While I hope to relocate to Florida soon (yes, WDW is a large factor in that, as well as the fact that I suffer from Raynaud's, which makes it hard to live in any cold temps), I think that from what I've read here and elsewhere, people pay dearly for the sunshine. Cost of living, wages, and benefits really are great here - if you can find a job :).

primetime52

Teachers do more than their share of complaining when it comes to compensation. I didn't select my field for the paycheck, and I suspect most teachers didn't as well.
Look at nursing the past few years. Not enough nurses - salaries have gone up, and signing bonuses. There must be a reason people are drawn to teaching, and it's not the money.

Having said that, the teachers in my school district are a pretty quiet bunch.

A quick search yielded the following:
"At $53,258, Pennsylvania was ranked 10th in the nation for average teacher salaries in 2005"

Well Said!! I'm not a teacher, but teaching seems like one of the most intrinsically rewarding professions out there. Helping kids and young adults in such a way must be one of the most heart warming things a person can do.

I earned a business degree in college and probably could've become a manager or accountant making a great starting salary. However, the 2 things I enjoy more than anything else in this world are (1)talking and (2)sports, so I decided to disregard my educational credentials and start working in sports talk radio. I'm a newbie in the field so I'm barely making a living wage, but the joy I get from my work makes it all worth it. Of course, since I work in entertainment there does exist the chance that I could be making millions some day, but that's not why I'm in it.

People should always follow their heart.

wedway71

Funny you should ask.

Wife is a teacher from Florida.She decided to get out of Biz world and go back to school to become a Teacher. She graduated 2 years ago with Elementary Ed Degree.

We lived in Lee County-SW Fl about 3 hours SW of Orlando.
Starting Salary in Lee was around 32k. They are soooo desperate for teachers all over Florida that when my wife literally walked across the stage to recieve her Degree there were 7 school Districts from all over the state telling her she didnt even have to interview-she has a job if she wants.

Some areas pay more or less according to the area. We decided to move to Indianapolis for my job so she teaches up her-but gets an email almost everyday to teach in Florida. Some areas are really in need like Collier County where even a dive of a home is 400k and teacher salaries start about 35.

Lee County was thinking of even making a new teacher campus-like apartments for new teachers since most new teachers could not even afford to live where they teach.

Disneydude55

What a great thread!

I'm planning on majoring in Elemn. Ed. and have always wanted to live and become a teacher in Florida. Coming from Wisconsin and also being a male it sounds like I will have no problem finding a job! Can't wait till I can get out of this snowy state!

I currently hold my masters degree in Elementary Ed and certifications in Special Ed and Literacy. I'm looking into moving to Fl. Anyone know of any really good school districts close to Disney? I also was interested in what ever happened to the teacher campus in Lee County? Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom