TEA Attendance Report Now due June 3rd

AEfx

ALL?!?! I thought only Jimmy, possibly F&F, and Volcano Bay would be open by then :jawdrop:

If I recall, Avatar is opening in "stages". The 2017 date is just for the first phase. And since WDW construction seems to have that weird time-warp thing where time moves much slower for them than the rest of the world, I have a feeling "early 2017" is going to be pushed back at some point in the near future. The Disney Blog will spin it as "to bring you the very best magical experience..."

JordanNite

If I recall, Avatar is opening in "stages". The 2017 date is just for the first phase. And since WDW construction seems to have that weird time-warp thing where time moves much slower for them than the rest of the world, I have a feeling "early 2017" is going to be pushed back at some point in the near future. The Disney Blog will spin it as "to bring you the very best magical experience..."

Not true. Disney are adding to the workforce and going to move faster.

images

Disneyhead'71

Okay someone clarify one issue with me .... if i was to travel from USF to IOA on the train, hence being park to park - are we saying that my visit to IOA isn't counted?!

Why would that be ... and where does it say this?
It's called "First Click" method. Where only the first park you enter that day counts. So entering IOA via HE means you already entered USF that day.

Mike S

Luckily we got this bit of news today regarding that.
Expect it to open as one land when complete, not in phases.

JordanNite

It's called "First Click" method. Where only the first park you enter that day counts. So entering IOA via HE means you already entered USF that day.

Seems like a major flaw in the survey if that's the case. Magic Kindom and Epcot are the really only 2 full day park experiences, the rest have the ability to use the park hopper.

gmajew

Premium Member
Just like IOA's numbers, MK and Epcot's should be higher too. Given the number of people who hop from DAK and DHS in the late afternoon for dinner (Epcot) or fireworks (MK).

I wonder if they could do number of visitors to the parks? Would really give a good view on how many people actually attend MK in a day. Right now this number does not look all that bad but the crowds show it is way way worse.....

Disneyhead'71

I wonder if they could do number of visitors to the parks? Would really give a good view on how many people actually attend MK in a day. Right now this number does not look all that bad but the crowds show it is way way worse.....
Both Disney and Universal know exactly how many people are in what park. And that's all that really matters. The rest of us are just guesstimating.

AEfx

Saying Universal uses too many screens to a Uni Fanboi is like telling a Disney Fanboi that Disney uses to many AA laden omnimovers.

I think the difference is in how Universal uses those screens.

I too greatly prefer real animatronics.

Soarin' is a screen based attraction. TSMM is a screen based attraction. MILF is a screen based attraction.

Static screens.

Universal incorporates them into large experiences integrated into real, practical effects and exciting moving rides.

I'll be honest, I was soooo disapointed in MILF - there was simply no reason to just use screens aside from being cheap. That's the kind of screen based stuff that really irritates me. Whereas the two big Potter rides may have a ton of screens, BUT they offer so much more and a lot of that you couldn't replicate without them. I mean, in Forbidden Journey - they could have used Pan-style effects for that cutesy look (though ET already does that better), but you wouldn't have felt like you were really flying with Harry if you just passed a stationary animatronic and they blew some wind at you.

Again, I love animatronics - there need to be more of them - and from what I understand, Kong is going to combine both - but when folks criticize "screen based" there are definitely multiple levels. There is "because we didn't want to spend the money to make animatronics and sets" and "this is the most effective way to tell this story".

At least that's how I see the distinction.

Chef Mickey

What challenge? They're miles ahead. Universal's relatively larger percentage growth is simply a function of a smaller base. If I have a theme park with 100 guests and next year I add 60 guests, I'm not going to intimidate Disney with my 60% growth statistic.

You have cause and effect backwards. Universal isn't building rides because they're reinvesting, Universal is building because flash-in-the-pan IP is their only strategy. It's inorganic and unsustainable. See: zero growth at IOA.

ETA: DCA is in the same boat.
You absolutely get it. These are the same people talking about growth rates of smaller companies. It's harder to move a larger ship. Apple isn't going to have 100% growth rates, but they are going to make 80% of the profits in the cell phone industry.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't have work to do. EPCOT, DHS, and frankly AK all need significant investments, but their model is destroying competition despite a jump at Universal.

You think Disney is worried about Universal's jump? Maybe slightly, but MK growing 4% is ridiculous. I can't even believe they are getting more people in that park. The draw of MK also organically helps the other parks because people visit just because they are already at WDW.

I'm actually saddened the numbers were so good for WDW because it essentially validates their strategy, which I think has been awful. They need a kick in the pants to start expanding and this report did not scare them or give them any urgency to do so. They are still the market leaders BY FAR.

Growth rate talkers are always the little guys. The big guys (i.e. Disney) still own this business.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So I spent this morning wondering how I was off so vastly on three of the four parks... and DHS, My call on that was essenially dumb luck... to a point.

First mistake, I over simplified. I looked primarily at the number of times a crowd was below average vs above average and thats just not a metric of how much growth a park will show. It shows whether a park is busy and thats not necessarily the same thing.

Those things arent comparable until you start plugging values in.

Disneyhead'71

You absolutely get it. These are the same people talking about growth rates of smaller companies. It's harder to move a larger ship. Apple isn't going to have 100% growth rates, but they are going to make 80% of the profits in the cell phone industry.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't have work to do. EPCOT, DHS, and frankly AK all need significant investments, but their model is destroying competition despite a jump at Universal.

You think Disney is worried about Universal's jump? Maybe slightly, but MK growing 4% is ridiculous. I can't even believe they are getting more people in that park. The draw of MK also organically helps the other parks because people visit just because they are already at WDW.

I'm actually saddened the numbers were so good for WDW because it essentially validates their strategy, which I think has been awful. They need a kick in the pants to start expanding and this report did not scare them or give them any urgency to do so. They are still the market leaders BY FAR.

Growth rate talkers are always the little guys. The big guys (i.e. Disney) still own this business.
Disney doesn't even care that one Universal park just blew past DAK, DHS, and Epcot. Hakunamatata.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom