TEA Attendance Report Now due June 3rd

CSUFSteve

Fair enough. It is a conundrum, and they're kind of stuck since they can't really touch the development pads.

With that Park's 30th coming up, I wonder if they'll redress anything ala Disneyland. New scenes in GMR (a TCM "phase-II", if you will), new show for Mermaid? I could see it being the focal point for Frozen 2 in 2018, possibly a revamped Animation exhibit to go along with it? Star Wars Weekend's 20th is in 2017, right, maybe they could swap out one or two simulators with the original show, or maybe all for an extended run ala Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Agree, though, they'll have to get a little creative to satiate the public's appetite until Star Wars.

Next Big Thing

Fair enough. It is a conundrum, and they're kind of stuck since they can't really touch the development pads.

With that Park's 30th coming up, I wonder if they'll redress anything ala Disneyland. New scenes in GMR (a TCM "phase-II", if you will), new show for Mermaid? I could see it being the focal point for Frozen 2 in 2018, possibly a revamped Animation exhibit to go along with it? Star Wars Weekend's 20th is in 2017, right, maybe they could swap out one or two simulators with the original show, or maybe all for an extended run ala Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Agree, though, they'll have to get a little creative to satiate the public's appetite until Star Wars.
TCM's contract is only through 2019. So it will make it passed DHS' 30th. But the 30th will hardly be anything to celebrate the way the park is looking right now and if TCM feels like they don't want to renew, then they won't put in the money for more upgrades.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
@Next Big Thing: I'm honestly not worried about DHS (and I say that with it being my least favorite WDW park).

I mean, yes, it's weak now, has been for a while, but the fix is known and straightforward, and possibly the worst-kept secret. I was worried a few years ago; I'm not now. Frankly, there seem to be more ideas for the Studios than it'd be able to hold with present boundaries!

For now, it seems to me Tower, RnR, infinitely-running BatB, and Fantasmic! all manage to keep it afloat. Which is also a testament to the strength of those offerings. And hopefully a little love to GMR, curiosity to see the restored centerpiece, D23 Expo, give it a slight boost in 2015. IMO, Disney can weather its issues knowing it'll roar back soon enough.

The data disagrees with your current outlook on the Studios. Its late and Ive been doing this for hours.

Those attractions are not keeping it afloat - Frozen is, or was in 2014 anyways.

First Six Months, Before Frozenmania....
  • DHS pulled 140 Average and below crowds to only 40 above average. (39% to 11%) Resort as a whole Norms? - (26%/24%)

Second Six Months, after the sing along.....
  • The crowds are split evenly: 92 Average and below and 92 Above Average. (25% each) Resort as a whole Norms? (24%/26%)

Kman101

I don't think USF or IOA will surpass any of the parks just yet (and for the record I love them both and was just there Sunday, for the second time within a week and a half). Within the next few years, possibly/probably but not yet. I don't see the huge bump there. What Uni has going for it is clear investment so the next few years should be really interesting.

khale1970

Great. Another day to discuss substance instead of phonied up Disney numbers!

I wonder if the Disney lawyers are fighting to make sure certain parks don't surpass others ... Nah, that's not how Robert A. Iger conducts himself at all!;):devilish::greedy::D

I've read on these boards before that the TEA numbers are generally inaccurate and are also manipulated by TWDC to give the false impression that WDW attendance is higher than it actually is. While I don't doubt that the numbers are inaccurate for whatever reason and that TWDC would try to manipulate them to make themselves look better, I don't understand how they can do it and other companies either can't or won't. Is it that UNI is more honest and transparent with the figures, or does TWDC just have more juice with TEA to get the figures adjusted in their direction?

gmajew

Premium Member
I hope both Universal parks jump over HS they should with no problem have more people in them then this park. I hope then it wakes disney up to that they need to jump start the rebrand of this park.

I am afraid though last years Frozen Summer may have kept it safe for another year.

Epcot won't drop any and neither will AK and MK has a very good chance of hitting 20M this year.

GLaDOS

I hope both Universal parks jump over HS they should with no problem have more people in them then this park. I hope then it wakes disney up to that they need to jump start the rebrand of this park.

All I'll say is it's very likely both Universal parks had more people in them than DHS and DAK last year. The TEA numbers won't reflect that, but it is what it is.

GLaDOS

If Universal had real data showing that they had more people in parks they would release it.... They want it as bad as anyone.

I have little question Universal's TEA numbers will be relatively close to true. The problem is Disney's numbers for DAK and DHS have always been grossly inflated.

gmajew

Premium Member
I have little question Universal's TEA numbers will be relatively close to true. The problem is Disney's numbers for DAK and DHS have always been grossly inflated.

Grossly inflated because it counts people walking in multiple parks per day? Or because you just don't believe the numbers?

I have no problem with multiple parks per day count for each park. Universal has the same perk and same thing happening.

mahnamahna101

With how short the waits at AK generally are, I'd have to agree. A park with 10 million+ guests per year that only has 4 substantial rides (5 if you count Primeval Whirl) and 3 shows shouldn't have waits less than a hour for the vast majority of the day.

USF and IOA have extensive waits all day for most of their major attractions and they 'only' have 8-9 million.

In actuality, both Universal parks probably get around or slightly more than AK or HS right now.

By 2016, even fudging won't get HS or AK above Universal Orlando :p

khale1970

Is this based on inside knowledge at URO or WDW or just the metrics of DHS/DAK daily park capacity vs. yearly attendance? I don't mean to question you, but it just doesn't make any sense. I'm flummoxed as to why TEA would let TWDC get away with straight up lying about attendance when it would be a very easy to disprove the numbers by someone with a bit of inside knowledge of park capacity. If it's just data manipulation in a way to make attendance at WDW appear more favorable, I don't understand why UNI, being unwilling to use the same tactics, wouldn't publically call out TWDC and TEA to either discredit the report or force TEA to report more accurate numbers.

GLaDOS

Is this based on inside knowledge at URO or WDW or just the metrics of DHS/DAK daily park capacity vs. yearly attendance?

Inside for UOR, WDW is based on my limited knowledge of the capacities for each park.

I don't mean to question you, but it just doesn't make any sense. I'm flummoxed as to why TEA would let TWDC get away with straight up lying about attendance in what would have to be a very easy to disprove by someone with a bit of inside knowledge of park capacity. If it's just data manipulation in a way to make attendance at WDW appear more favorable, I don't understand why UNI, being unwilling to use the same tactics, wouldn't publically call out TWDC and TEA to either discredit the report or force TEA to report more accurate numbers.

Mostly? Because attendance rankings, in the long run, are a worthless metric for theme park nerds to crow about. I don't think Universal really cares one way or another. Their parks are doing incredibly well at the moment, they're making a lot of money, improving market share, and are expanding at a rapid rate. What do they really care about a list no one outside maybe 1% of the customer base even sees?

khale1970

Inside for UOR, WDW is based on my limited knowledge of the capacities for each park.

Mostly? Because attendance rankings, in the long run, are a worthless metric for theme park nerds to crow about. I don't think Universal really cares one way or another. Their parks are doing incredibly well at the moment, they're making a lot of money, improving market share, and are expanding at a rapid rate. What do they really care about a list no one outside maybe 1% of the customer base even sees?

Thanks for the response and clarification. I assumed that these numbers were a big deal because of the attention they receive on a fan board. That prevented me from considering the possibility that these figures are meaningless to the companies themselves. They obviously know their own attendance and performance numbers at each park even if this isn't accurately or completely reported to the public, and I'd suspect at some level the competition has a pretty good idea of how the other company is doing as well. If neither are willing to publically air the actual numbers nor do they care about this metric then no reason to air the dirty laundry and antagonize TEA.

mahnamahna101

Plus, by just improving and naturally growing, they'll quietly surpass HS and AK in 'official' numbers by 2016. 2014 is the year UO surpasses the 'fudged' numbers. :)

Universal doesn't need 18-20m a year per park. 10-13m is just fine for their business model. Especially if guests keep spending money in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom