TEA Attendance Report Now due June 3rd

hopemax

So I just went through and did a comparison of (IOA+USF) attendance vs (AK+DHS) attendance. Since that was where we think we're going to see the competition gap narrow, right.

Surprisingly, as good as Universal is doing now, it's not as good as they were doing in the early years of IOA's operation. In 2000, Universal received 87% of the attendance as Disney's 2 parks, 2001 - 84.2%, 2002 - 85%, 2003 - 84.8%. They got slightly more hurt by post-9/11, but only slightly...Universal was hanging in there.

In 2004, we start to see the drop 80.8%, 2005 - 70.6% and 2006 - it crashed all the way down to 55.5%

So what happened. I think 2 things: Horrible theme park management on the Universal side. On the Disney side, 2005 was the last major old school "celebration." Remember how each of the parks got "birthday presents" for Disneyland's 50th? Soarin, Cinderellabration, Lights, Motor, Action, and in 2006 AK got Everest.

2007 - 61.2%, 2008 - 60.2%, 2009 - as everyone waited for Harry, it dropped back down to 52.6%. Rebounded in 2010 to 61.6%.

Since 2010, Universal is clawing its way up. 2011 - 70.4%, 2012 - 71.2%, 2013 - 74.9% and this year it's 79.3%

So what does all of this mean? Not really sure. But I think it means, people did pay attention to the addition of IOA. When Disney builds something meaningful, they can hurt Universal really bad, people are responding to Universal's growth now. In general, "If you build it, they will come."

Last edited:

BJones82

If Parks and Resorts were a stand alone, folks wouldn't be nearly as impressed as they would be with Universal.

Until they see the profit margins and how much of their profit is going towards the building... If you want to talk about stock prices people will look at profit not park attendance just like Disney right now is saying despite USF growing double digits we are still having increased profits... Profit increase from the 2% jump on 134 million is much larger than profit increase on 2% on 40 million.....

maxairmike

*w*t*f*?

Why would they remove something from Carsland? Luigi's is great! And they harped pretty loudly about finally being able to realize the flying saucers that didn't work out well in Disneyland.

Because in actuality they work marginally better than the original saucers did and the guests just can't seem to figure out how the ride works. Add in a pretty bad capacity and it just isn't...worthwhile.

Mike S

*w*t*f*?

Why would they remove something from Carsland? Luigi's is great! And they harped pretty loudly about finally being able to realize the flying saucers that didn't work out well in Disneyland.
This is what's replacing it. The ride is trackless.
image.jpg

BJones82

So I just went through and did a comparison of (IOA+USF) attendance vs (AK+DHS) attendance. Since that was where we think we're going to see the competition gap narrow, right.

Surprisingly, as good as Universal is doing now, it's not as good as they were doing in the early years of IOA's operation. In 2000, Universal received 87% of the attendance as Disney's 2 parks, 2001 - 84.2%, 2002 - 85%, 2003 - 84.8%. They got slightly more hurt by post-9/11, but only slightly...Universal was hanging in there.

In 2004, we start to see the drop 80.8%, 2005 - 70.6% and 2006 - it crashed all the way down to 55.5%

So what happened. I think 2 things: Horrible theme park management on the Universal side. On the Disney side, 2005 was the last major old school "celebration." Remember how each of the parks got "birthday presents" for Disneyland's 50th? Soarin, Cinderellabration, Lights, Motor, Action, and in 2006 AK got Everest.

2007 - 61.2, 2008 - 60.2, 2009 - as everyone waited for Harry, it dropped back down to 52.6%. Rebounded in 2010 to 61.6%.

Since 2010, Universal is clawing its way up. 2011 - 70.4, 2012 - 71.2%, 2013 - 74.9% and this year it's 79.3%

So what does all of this mean? Not really sure. But I think it means, people did pay attention to the addition of IOA. When Disney builds something meaningful, they can hurt Universal really bad, people are responding to Universal's growth now. In general, "If you build it, they will come."

And don't forget DAK only opened in 98...

Vegas Disney Fan

*w*t*f*?

I thought it was fun also but they've had a lot of issues with guests not able to figure out how to move them and even on busy days it usually doesn't have a line. They've also had quite a few falls from people stepping on the tire (even though there are warnings every 6 inches and they announce not to step on them) so safety probably figured in as well.

Bairstow

I thought it was fun also but they've had a lot of issues with guests not able to figure out how to move them and even on busy days it usually doesn't have a line. They've also had quite a few falls from people stepping on the tire (even though there are warnings every 6 inches and they announce not to step on them) so safety probably figured in as well.

It was also barely more reliable than the old one.

devoy1701

This is what's replacing it. The ride is trackless.
View attachment 95622

OK...i've gotten on the same page as you now. When I read your sentence that "they were replacing Luigi's and they were building a Marvel coaster" I read that as they were replacing Luigi's WITH the Marvel coaster.... i now realize those are two independent statements.

Disneyhead'71

So the Disney fanbois are all over Twitter doing their happy dance over this report. Disney lost market share both Domestically and in Asia to Universal. How big of a Fanboi do you have to be to interpret these numbers as a positive for Disney?

TP2000

If you dig deeper into the numbers, SeaWorld San Diego lost 12% attendance (down 4.3M to 3.7M), on top of the 8% SeaWorld Orlando lost. SeaWorld is feelin' the hurt.

And SeaWorld San Diego celebrated their 50th Anniversary in 2014 with a big marketing campaign, a swanky rebuilt front entrance, new shows, and a parkwide 50th Anniversary celebration.

I went down to San Diego for the day a year ago to see it all, and the park was really sleepy. Pretty and gorgeous perched right on the blue Pacific Ocean in perfect San Diego, but really sleepy.

jt04

The marketplace is largely intact with a few notable exceptions. I did unfortunately believe that when Disney announced HW that is what would be built. It is repeated here often that Disney does not plus concepts but rather always finds ways to cut back. See DAK for instance. But that popular opinion is obviously wrong and I regret falling for that meme. Disney Springs is much better than HW. Happy TDO proved me wrong.

Donald Razorduck

Saying Walmart's stock is down just because of their two percent growth just isn't true, people are making decisions to move away from Walmart and their name is going through a lot of negativity, this is causing their stock to drop along with low growth, same with McDonalds they're losing their customer base because it is going else where not because they are too big....

That's nonsense, they still are opening stores closing very few, often replaced with a newer store in the same market. It's slower growth as many markets are mature and it's harder to increase in store sales year over year yet the store is completely profitable. What hurt Walmart are the expansions of specialized big box stores like Bass Pro, Academy and so on that has cut into once highly profitable depts like sporting goods. That pressure has hurt more than paid to protest SEIU circuses.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So the Disney fanbois are all over Twitter doing their happy dance over this report. Disney lost market share both Domestically and in Asia to Universal. How big of a Fanboi do you have to be to interpret these numbers as a positive for Disney?

I don't think there's anything to be happy about. Domestic Disney Parks were flat. Clearly, not what I would have expected.

Then again theyre not really looking for anything deeper than 140 character

TP2000

I think the most interesting number in the report is actually Universal California.... It saw an 11% increase before Potter opens it should be able to leap frog California Adventure once this does open.

Agreed. That's going to be the story to watch in 2016. Universal Studios Hollywood has been on a building spree the last couple years with new shows, new rides, and upgraded attractions. Plus thousands more parking spaces and a massive reskin and retheme to most areas of the 52 year old park.

Universal Studios Hollywood is also the only theme park on the TEA list with a subway stop, via the Los Angeles Metro Red Line right at its doorstep. (Yes East Coasters, Los Angeles has a subway system. A relatively modest 90 miles spread across just six different rail lines, but with a station at Universal Studios.)

This big Universal Studios Hollywood rebuild culminates next spring with the opening of West Coast Potterland. It's going to turn the SoCal theme park industry on its head, and Disney is watching and waiting.

The most amazing thing... Universal Studios Hollywood has just suspended Annual Pass sales past February, 2016. You can no longer buy an AP that is valid past February, 2016; they've effectively shut down the AP program after that date. They know they have a blockbuster product to sell, and they aren't going to give it away with cheap-o Annual Pass sales. That's fascinating!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom