TEA- 2010 Theme Park Attendance Figures

nemofinder22

Original Poster
The 2010 numbers have been released by Themed Entertainment Association

I put the Disney parks in bold below, see the link for the full report.
http://www.themeit.com/etea/2010Report.pdf

Top 25 World Wide

1- 16.97 M -1.5% Magic Kingdom, Orlando, FL
2- 15.98 M +0.5% Disneyland, Anaheim, CA
3- 14.45 M +5.9% Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo, Japan
4- 12.66 M +5.5% Tokyo DisneySea, Tokyo, Japan
5- 10.83 M -1.5% EPCOT, Orlando, FL
6- 10.50 M -2.6% Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee, France
7- 9.87 M +1.0% Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Kissimmee, FL
8- 9.60 M -1.0% Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Orlando, FL
9- 8.16 M +2.0% Universal Studios Japan, Osaka, Japan
10- 6.88 M +11.6% Everland, South Korea
11- 6.29 M +3.0% Disney California Adventure, Anaheim, CA
12- 5.95 M +30.2% Islands of Adventure, Orlando FL
13- 5.93 M +6.1% Universal Studios, Orlando FL
14- 5.55 M +22.4% Lotte World, Seoul, South Korea
15- 5.20 M +13.0% Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong
16- 5.10 M -12.1% SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, FL
17- 5.10 M +6.3% Ocean Park, Hong Kong
18- 5.04 M +26.0% Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City, CA
19- 4.50 M -2.6% Walt Disney Studios, Marne-la-Vallee, France
20- 4.47 M -5.0% Nagashima Spa Land, Kuwana Japan
21- 4.25 M 0.0 Europa Park, Rust Germany
22- 4.20 M +2.4% Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Tampa FL
23- 4.02 M -6.0% Yokohama Sea Paradise, Japan
24- 4.00 M 0.0% De Efteling, The Netherlands
25- 3.80 M -9.5% SeaWorld California, San Diego, CA

Interesting numbers, Good to see Disney taking the top 8 spots world wide. But Universal Orlando has some great growth!

Animaniac93-98

It's good to finally see the numbers. Very interesting that AK was the only WDW park not to see a decline.

+30.2% for IoA is also impressive.

lazyboy97o

Aren't these numbers just estimates? I'd be interested in seeing how they arrive at these statistics.
From the end of the report:
AECOM obtains the figures used to create the TEA/AECOM Theme Index through a variety of sources, including statistics furnished directly by the operators, historical numbers, financial reports, the investment banking community and local tourism organizations, among others. The global market is studied as a whole, and each of its four main regions is also studied separately: North America, Mexico/Latin America, Europe and Asia. There is also a table of the top waterparks in the world, in the United States, and of the top global chain operators.

Some companies do publish their actual attendance. I believe Cedar Fair does and the Oriental Land Company publishes combined attendance (they used to publish individual park attendance).

I am curious if the switch to only doing Morning Extra Magic Hours played any part in the rise of Disney's Animal Kingdom. The standard established by Disney with the opening of EPCOT Center was that the first park visiting would be the one to receive the attendance count.

Krack

Oof! IOA up 30%? They definitely got their money's worth out of the Potter deal. DLR up, WDW down, UniOrlando up big - this couldn't be a better numbers report for Disneyphiles.

EDIT: Looks like IOA/Universal could be stealing a lot of Sea World's traffic.

Krack

Well so far DCA doesn't seem to profit too much from the 1 billion expansion, perhaps this will change when Cars Land opens.

Well, I'm about as down on DCA as anyone (including the rehab; I think they are throwing good money after bad) ... but aside from the World of Color, none of the other changes would be reflected in these 2010 numbers. The new entrance, the Little Mermaid, Carsland, etc are all coming. I think what you are seeing in the increase of DCA's 2010 attendance is the strength of WoC and (to a much lesser extent) ElecTRONica.

TP2000

Well, I'm about as down on DCA as anyone (including the rehab; I think they are throwing good money after bad) ... but aside from the World of Color, none of the other changes would be reflected in these 2010 numbers. The new entrance, the Little Mermaid, Carsland, etc are all coming. I think what you are seeing in the increase of DCA's 2010 attendance is the strength of WoC and (to a much lesser extent) ElecTRONica.

Quite True. But really, World of Color would have had the most impact here on 2010. But it didn't even open until June 11th, 2010, so that only gave it about half of 2010 to make up the difference on what was a rather quiet winter and spring of heavy construction and anticipation.

These numbers also speak to Glow Fest's success equally as they do for elecTRONica. And without Glow Fest's runaway surprise success, they never would have approved elecTRONica to replace it on a more permanent basis (thru Spring 2012).

DCA's major entertaining opening dates were as follows;

World of Color, June 11th thru December 31st. Impacting six months of DCA attendance with nightly performances
Glow Fest, June 11th thru September 3rd. Impacting 11 weeks of DCA attendance with nightly performances
elecTRONica, October 8th thru December 31st. Impacting 11 weeks of DCA attendance, with only weekend performances for 8 weeks of that.

Spike-in-Berlin

You're both right, if any TDO-manager want's to know what REALLY boosts attendance take a look at IOA, 30% plus is not even the entire truth as they only have half of the year, actually in the about 6 months after the opening of WWoHP the IOA skyrocketed by 60% after what I read.
As happy as I am with the improved FLE (the original plans for "girlies princess- and pixies-land where nothing less than surprisingly extremely underwhelming) they don't build anything that will be a really outstanding addition, not even the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. A real E-Ticket like Fire Mountain in Adventureland could have been the deal. Instead the real big stuff that would be an adequate competitor is built in DCA, Cars Land. I am quite sure attendance there will be soaring when it finally opens.

captainkidd

I believe this is the 1st year IOA has beaten Universal Studios. No surprise there though.

Magic Kingdom has held the #1 spot for quite some time. But Disneyland is right behind them. I would imagine next year with the FLE, Magic Kingdom's numbers will go up, but for 2011, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disneyland take the #1 spot.

TP2000

Let's put up the top 15 theme parks here in the good 'ol USA, because for all intents and purposes of the majority of the conversation here in this forum, we are just concerned about the American parks.

1. Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney World, 16.972 Million -1.5%
2. Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, 15.980 Million +0.5%
3. EPCOT, Walt Disney World, 10.825 Million -1.5%
4. Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World, 9.686 Million +1.0%
5. Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World, 9.603 Million -1.0%
6. Disney California Adventure, Disneyland Resort, 6.278 Million +3.0%
7. Islands of Adventure, Universal Orlando, 5.949 Million +30.2%
8. Universal Studios, Universal Orlando, 5.925 Million +6.1%
9. Sea World, Orlando, 5.1 Million -12.1%
10. Universal Studios, Hollywood, 5.040 Million +26.0%
11. Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay, 4.2 Million +2.4%
12. Sea World, San Diego, 3.8 Million -9.5%
13. Knott's Berry Farm, California, 3.6 Million +8.0%
14. King's Island, Ohio, 3.112 Million, +3.7%
15. Cedar Point, Ohio, 3.051 Million, +3.7%

You can spot some easy trends there. Obviously Islands of Adventure shot through the roof with Potterland opening, and you can easily see it padded some attendance next door at Universal Studios. And you can also see that it really took a bite out of Sea World down the road, while barely skimming a single percent digit off of the WDW parks. Obviously if you have to devote a day of your Orlando vacation to a new park, Sea World is the big loser and the park people give up the most to visit Potterland.

Disney Parks overall is an interesting trend, with another year of a slight decline at Magic Kingdom Park and a slight increase at Disneyland Park. Those two major Disney parks are getting closer and closer to each other with each passing year. And even with massive construction, World of Color boosted the last half of the year's attendance at DCA enough to give it a nice bump up for the year. What happened in 2010 to give Animal Kingdom a slight boost while the other three WDW parks declined slightly? What am I forgetting they added to that park in 2010, or is it just a weird little bump for DAK for no apparent reason?

captainkidd

What happened in 2010 to give Animal Kingdom a slight boost while the other three WDW parks declined slightly? What am I forgetting they added to that park in 2010, or is it just a weird little bump for DAK for no apparent reason?

I think it's just a weird bump for no reason. DAK and DHS have always been neck and neck in terms of attendance.

I think the numbers are very telling at WDW. They're pretty much stagnant, but considering all the discounting for 2010, I would have guessed they'd go up a little.

I read an interesting section of the Unofficial Guide last night about WDW ticket price increases, and a theory that within a couple of years, Disney is gonna be in trouble. Less park attendance means less hotel occupancy, etc.

Although the attendance at the Disney parks is still about 3 to 1 to the Universal Parks, Universal continues to give people more of what they want and change things up.

In any case, this report while it looks good on paper for Disney, has to be rather concerning with the increase at Universal.

devoy1701

Interesting to see AK pop up above DHS...considering AK hasn't had squat added to it.

I wonder if the expansions at DCA and the fact that MK's expansions won't open for another year could infact push DL over MK for 2011's most visited park. I think DCA will bring some people out to both parks that maybe haven't visited in awhile...I'm definitely expecting to see an uptick at both parks once Carsland opens.

That'll teach TDO!

TP2000

Magic Kingdom has held the #1 spot for quite some time. But Disneyland is right behind them. I would imagine next year with the FLE, Magic Kingdom's numbers will go up, but for 2011, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disneyland take the #1 spot.

Don't forget to add your first Disneyland visit in 2012 into the headcount for that year! :D

Disneyland should have another strong year in 2011 with another modest increase in attendance. This summer with Star Tours in Tomorrowland and the new Soundsational Parade should keep crowds healthy at Disneyland if not increase them modestly, while there's not much new at Magic Kingdom Park in 2011 to pull extra people in (DHS gets the similar Star Tours bump that Disneyland does, possibly pulling more out of Magic Kingdom in '11).

But I'm not sure that will be enough to make up a million person difference between 2010 and 2011.

It's getting closer and closer every year by a few hundred thousand, but there's still a solid Million visitors more at Magic Kingdom Park than there is at Disneyland.

WDWFigment

The World of Color gains were probably offset by the people not going to DCA because it was a maze of construction walls.

In the end, I think the big thing the new DCA will do, even if it doesn't result in 30% increases, is that it will make Disneyland Resort more of a tourist/vacation destination, like WDW. Annual Passholders are important, but I think Disney knows tourists are more valuable, as they spend more in the parks.

I think this is already somewhat apparent with the substantial AP price increases. To me, those increases indicate a desire by Disney to price some of the less profitable AP'rs out of the market. If Disneyland does become more of a vacation destination, I think Disney will need to do more, because it's almost impossible to get decent spots for Remember... and Fantasmic! without waiting hours in advance thanks to AP'rs who show up after work (this assumes people in California work--probably not accurate--they show up in the afternoon, regardless of work) and stake out the best spots.

Gregoryp73

Let's put up the top 15 theme parks here in the good 'ol USA, because for all intents and purposes of the majority of the conversation here in this forum, we are just concerned about the American parks.

3. EPCOT, Walt Disney World, 10.825 Million -1.5%
4. Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World, 9.686 Million +1.0%
5. Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World, 9.603 Million -1.0%
6. Disney California Adventure, Disneyland Resort, 6.278 Million +3.0%
7. Islands of Adventure, Universal Orlando, 5.949 Million +30.2%
8. Universal Studios, Universal Orlando, 5.925 Million +6.1%
9. Sea World, Orlando, 5.1 Million -12.1%
10. Universal Studios, Hollywood, 5.040 Million +26.0%
11. Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay, 4.2 Million +2.4%
12. Sea World, San Diego, 3.8 Million -9.5%
13. Knott's Berry Farm, California, 3.6 Million +8.0%
14. King's Island, Ohio, 3.112 Million, +3.7%
15. Cedar Point, Ohio, 3.051 Million, +3.7%

You can spot some easy trends there. Obviously Islands of Adventure shot through the roof with Potterland opening, and you can easily see it padded some attendance next door at Universal Studios. And you can also see that it really took a bite out of Sea World down the road, while barely skimming a single percent digit off of the WDW parks. Obviously if you have to devote a day of your Orlando vacation to a new park, Sea World is the big loser and the park people give up the most to visit Potterland.

Disney Parks overall is an interesting trend, with another year of a slight decline at Magic Kingdom Park and a slight increase at Disneyland Park. Those two major Disney parks are getting closer and closer to each other with each passing year. And even with massive construction, World of Color boosted the last half of the year's attendance at DCA enough to give it a nice bump up for the year. What happened in 2010 to give Animal Kingdom a slight boost while the other three WDW parks declined slightly? What am I forgetting they added to that park in 2010, or is it just a weird little bump for DAK for no apparent reason?

What I think disney will be more worried about is the % increase or decrease in room sales. If there is a steep decline in who stays on-site compared to last year, there may be even more talks of expansion. I know that IOA and Uni had alot of package deals for the Potter thing (although being a DVC member, I couldn't bring myself to stay over at Uni)...

I also think that once the new car smell wears off HP, you'll see a return to normal figures...unless Uni stays on top of it and continues to invest in this type of expansion and upgrade (avatar, transformers, and so on).

TP2000

I think Disney will need to do more, because it's almost impossible to get decent spots for Remember... and Fantasmic! without waiting hours in advance thanks to AP'rs who show up after work (this assumes people in California work--probably not accurate--they show up in the afternoon, regardless of work) and stake out the best spots.

From May through October the average workday in SoCal is 9AM to 3PM. People either duck out early to hit the beach, or zip over to Disneyland to hang out for a few hours under the guise of "sitting out traffic".

That's for the people that have a job in a state with 12.5% unemployment. But those monthly payments of just 9 bucks per month for your Disneyland SoCal AP can be handled even by those on 99 weeks of unemployment checks. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom