TDL keeping Captain Eo

Krack

Oh thank goodness. I'll make sure to pick one up next week then. I was scared, "No, no, you CANNOT spend $80 on Eo pins..." LOL.

I've got a Captain EO pin from the first year it was open in the eighties. I wonder if it's the same pin they are still selling.

Skipper Dan

As much as I hate being "that guy" who posts his anecdotal evidence, I'll post this anyway and people can take it for what it's worth:

When we were at Disneyland last week, there were never more than a handful of people queue'd up for EO. Given the guests I saw for it, I would bet it's in the bottom 10% in terms of attraction popularity there. Just a bet, though.

Like I said, take this information for what it's worth. I think at one point, EO was really popular out there, but I think that day has come and gone.

Personally, I really hope the plans for Tomorrowland at DLR that have been circulating come to fruition sooner rather than later. That land is a mess and although the kinetics improved a bit with the new Star Tours exterior, there is still a lot of work to be done.

I completely agree. I have only visited Disneyland once, during the D23 Expo, and I honestly can't even remember their Tommorowland having a specific layout. It's like trying to remember a dream. The whole land was like a salad, cluttered and confusing. Gallimaufry, is the word I think I'm looking for? Kind of like Epcot! :lol: :lookaroun :zipit:

Flight Safety

I was so happy to see EO come back! :sohappy: I have to say that when I went to EO @ EPCOT for the Pass holder Preview last year I was disappointed that they turned the "Pass holder preview" into a "Open to all guests" deal. I grew up with EO around and it ended up ruining the nostalgia of the entire show because no one really cared about the attraction and most were only there using EO as shelter from the rain. So needless to say I couldn't hear the Pre Show over the obnoxiously loud people babbling on about a whole lot of nothing. :hammer:

The last few trips to EO @ WDW I have noticed that it was very, very slow. The entire Imagination pavilion has been that way for a long time. Unfortunately (This is just the way I see it) no one cares about Imagination, science, or most things that belong in EPCOT anymore. Call me negative, but I feel like this generation (At least the majority of it) cares about the opposite of all things that actually matter. So Im sure its no different @ DLR. :brick:

A few years back I remember stumbling across demolition plans for JII. :cry: Since then, I have been waiting for some terrible news about the imagination pavilion. I doubt TDO will focus any spending on the much neglected pavilion any time soon including demo. I do think that EO will stick around for a while simply because they dont want to spend $ to make a change unless they have a way to earn it back. Be it merch or ticket sales. If anything, they will simply stop running the show leaving every thing in tact, or limit the number of shows run each day. Again I doubt EO @ DLR is much different.

I think the entire pavilion needs some major TLC. A nice overhaul of the buildings and common areas as well as some better interactive attractions would be a great upgrade. Rainbow Tunnel anyone? Dreamfinder?

Long live the imagination!

palminnie

I saw Captain EO when it first came out. I just saw it again at EPCOT and didn't care for it. Will probably not go back to see it again. There were only a handful of people in the theater and many walked out in the middle of the show.

Flight Safety

I saw Captain EO when it first came out. I just saw it again at EPCOT and didn't care for it. Will probably not go back to see it again. There were only a handful of people in the theater and many walked out in the middle of the show.

You saw it back in 86? I don't know many who saw it back then that didn't like it unless you absolutely hated MJ, and any positive message. As I said before, no one wants to hear a message about anything for the better good. People will only like it if it's about ______, drugs, violence, and breaking laws.

Capt.EO

You saw it back in 86? I don't know many who saw it back then that didn't like it unless you absolutely hated MJ, and any positive message. As I said before, no one wants to hear a message about anything for the better good. People will only like it if it's about ______, drugs, violence, and breaking laws.

I remember seeing EO on my first trip to DL, I loved it! It's one of my most vivid memories of that first trip. It was the first 3D movie I had ever seen and, of course, MJ was the stuff back then. I got all nostalgic last year when I went back to DL and saw it again. Sometimes though things are better left to memories, I just don't think that EO works in todays world. With all the improvments in 3D technology and with everything that has happened with MJ in the last decade it might be better to let EO fade back into the pages of Disney history... Trust me though I'll be back in that theater watching next time I'm visiting. And yes I'll be :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: at the end :lol:

Captain Neo

It would make sense to keep Captain EO for awhile if Disney is serious about strengthening their relationship with George Lucas. Say what you will about his recent movies but that man knows how to design awsome theme park rides.

I remember Captain EO scaring the fool out of me as a kid!

I'll take Captain EO over HISTA any day of the week. HISTA had gotten outdated without reaching the age of nostalgia that EO now has.

Although I do think they could scrap the 3-D film format at the pavillion altogether. Unless they can come up with something that has the appeal of Philharmagic, Philharmagic is something that's going to be able to stick around for a very long time without particularly dating itself.

Admiral01

Premium Member
It would make sense to keep Captain EO for awhile if Disney is serious about strengthening their relationship with George Lucas. Say what you will about his recent movies but that man knows how to design awsome theme park rides.

He does indeed. The Disney/Lucas attractions are all top notch. Star Tours, Captain EO (lets not forget that it was state of the art and included Francis Ford Coppola, MJ, and James Horner), Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (seen it too much, but still fun), and Indiana Jones Adventure (one of the reasons I maintain a Premier Pass even though I spend 90% of my time at WDW); all tons of fun.

AEfx

Original Poster
Although I do think they could scrap the 3-D film format at the pavillion altogether. Unless they can come up with something that has the appeal of Philharmagic, Philharmagic is something that's going to be able to stick around for a very long time without particularly dating itself.

I'd be all for that after EO has had it's run.

3-D no longer is the spectacle it once was. You can go down to just any old cinema these days and see it. Maybe not get water sprayed in your face, but unless they are going to do it big, like Philharmagic, there seems little point.

imagineer boy

I completely agree. I have only visited Disneyland once, during the D23 Expo, and I honestly can't even remember their Tommorowland having a specific layout. It's like trying to remember a dream. The whole land was like a salad, cluttered and confusing. Gallimaufry, is the word I think I'm looking for? Kind of like Epcot! :lol: :lookaroun :zipit:

While it looks better than it did with the ugly gold paint scheme the land is indeed still a mess. It hardly feels futuristic (especially with Nemo, what the heck does Nemo have to do with the future?!) and its just very bland.

Captain Neo

I'd be all for that after EO has had it's run.

3-D no longer is the spectacle it once was. You can go down to just any old cinema these days and see it. Maybe not get water sprayed in your face, but unless they are going to do it big, like Philharmagic, there seems little point.

600 bucks will get you a nice 3D tv these days. Plus game systems and handheld devices are doing 3D without glasses. I really hope they stop making 3D rides quite frankly and come up with something new.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
600 bucks will get you a nice 3D tv these days. Plus game systems and handheld devices are doing 3D without glasses. I really hope they stop making 3D rides quite frankly and come up with something new.
Nothing will beat the spectacle of a 65mm 3D movie on a huge screen with intheatre effects and an audio system to match. 3D TV is just a fad.

And you think they should stop making rides like Spiderman?

Captain Neo

Nothing will beat the spectacle of a 65mm 3D movie on a huge screen with intheatre effects and an audio system to match. 3D TV is just a fad.

And you think they should stop making rides like Spiderman?

I agree to an extent that seeing Captain EO on a big screen with sounds and effects like the 80s is still better than watching it at home on a 3D TV but I wouldn't call the tv's a fad. Its becoming an automatic feature in new tvs just like High Definition and in a few years glassless 3D tvs will be affordable.

Concerning Spider-Man, yes they should stop making rides like Spider-Man. Spider-Man was and still is an incredible ride and was revolutionary at the time but now its time to innovate and come up with the next amazing thing not just keep copying Spider-Man which is 12 years old at this point. Honestly stuff like "its tough to be a bug" and "midway mania" are so lame they should be removed to make way for things that actually make the guests say WOW.

misterID

I agree to an extent that seeing Captain EO on a big screen with sounds and effects like the 80s is still better than watching it at home on a 3D TV but I wouldn't call the tv's a fad. Its becoming an automatic feature in new tvs just like High Definition and in a few years glassless 3D tvs will be affordable.

Concerning Spider-Man, yes they should stop making rides like Spider-Man. Spider-Man was and still is an incredible ride and was revolutionary at the time but now its time to innovate and come up with the next amazing thing not just keep copying Spider-Man which is 12 years old at this point. Honestly stuff like "its tough to be a bug" and "midway mania" are so lame they should be removed to make way for things that actually make the guests say WOW.

Well, those rides are still making people say, "wow." They're just hitting the tip of 3D rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom