TDL keeping Captain Eo

menamechris

I don't really think I said that in this thread, but thanks for attempting to marginalize my observation by casting my opinion in a negative light.

Welcome! :wave: But seriously...I'm not mad at cha - but it was pretty clear.

With the Food and Wine Festival Epcot is very busy in the month of October and very much not "off season". Especially compared to months like January and February where there is a lull between the two major festivals.

The Food & Wine Festival is hosted for the purpose of bringing in guests when there would otherwise be few. It works, yes - but it comes at the expense of hosting the festival. So its not exactly the same as just opening the gate and guests flooding in at no additional expense to the park....

puntagordabob

EO is all right.... let it stick around until they redo the Imagination pavillion... gosh I hope that is sometime before the 50th WDW Birthday :)

jakeman

The Food & Wine Festival is hosted for the purpose of bringing in guests when there would otherwise be few. It works, yes - but it comes at the expense of hosting the festival. So its not exactly the same as just opening the gate and guests flooding in at no additional expense to the park....
I don't understand what your point is. Or perhaps we have a differing opinion on what off-season is.

I consider off-season anytime the park (or parks) would be slow. You seem to consider it anytime they need extra incentive to get people to come (rather it be a race, a festival, or anything else). Is that accurate?

If so I think I can see where you are coming from and in your point of view then yes October is technically the off-season.

JEANYLASER

Thanks for the info! Does Imagination in epcot will be updated let and who is the next sponsor of Imagination ride and new 3-D movie as well!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Purely anecdotal evidence coming from my past couple trips. And it is simply based on the queue, as I never ventured into the theatre. I have been to both coasts, and neither EO had any kind of a wait, in fact the queues were essentially empty. Just my 10 minutes worth of observation though.

menamechris

I don't understand what your point is. Or perhaps we have a differing opinion on what off-season is.

I consider off-season anytime the park (or parks) would be slow. You seem to consider it anytime they need extra incentive to get people to come (rather it be a race, a festival, or anything else). Is that accurate?

If so I think I can see where you are coming from and in your point of view then yes October is technically the off-season.

I think we are both agreeing on the definition.

WDWFigment

Regardless of when off-season is, Jakeman is right. The poster to whom he was responding, in absolute terms ("always") stated EO is always full and always receives applause. Anecdotal evidence is sufficient to refute that claim. If I witness one occasion where the theater isn't full OR when there isn't applause, that poster is wrong.

Is anyone besides that poster really contending that EO is ALWAYS full AND ALWAYS receives applause? I've seen EO twice at Epcot, and it was not full either time. I don't recall whether it received applause, but by virtue of it not being full *once* the poster is wrong.

Then again, I think EO is an inappropriate attraction for Epcot, too, so I suppose that somehow invalidates my otherwise objective observation!

Krack

While that is generally true, I will point to the stupid raised sidwalk that is the former Peoplemover track. Frankly, that thing is a bigger atrocity that anything TDO has left standing in a pointless state. Here's hoping you're right and Tomorrowland gets some major rehab work out there.

It really is amazing they've let that stand empty for so long. And it's probably the single biggest complaint of the California fanbase.

And as for the Pirates Premiere...what a disaster the set up made of Frontierland and New Orleans Square. Holy cow.

Sadly, from what I could tell from the photos, it wasn't much worse than a typical Fantasmic showing. Frontierland cannot be traversed when Fantasmic is being shown (just as the hub cannot be traversed during the fireworks - it's an unfortunate effect of the smaller park footprint).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I know this is TDL news, but I think many here might find it interesting.

I have a feeling it might stay at Disneyland for quite some time (it's very popular there), but that WDW's version might not fare as long. Who knows - they may just shutter the whole pavillion and start fresh (might not even have a 3-D film).

3-D "sit in theater" films are starting to become less interesting it seems, as we now have 3-D screen rides (Star Tours, Spiderman, etc.) and people get 3-D in the theaters all the time (and now some at home). Getting squirted with water is the only difference LOL.

So I don't think WDW's will be staying permanently, but again...totally wouldn't surprise me if Disneyland's did.

http://www.examiner.com/worldwide-disney-theme-parks-in-national/captain-eo-to-become-a-permanent-attraction-at-tokyo-disneyland

If Disney could fix up the Imagination ride and Imageworks, our Captain EO would be even more popular... at the moment it's just as popular as H.I.S.T.A. was.. our EO isn't going to be touched unless DL's version is, it's not fair. :mad: At this point, Captain EO is the least of Disney's concerns.

menamechris

Hhmm, well, though I have been labeled me "wound up" over this. I'm actually not in the least. In fact, I think its pretty wild for anyone to be excited over this topic.

But I do need to clarify - my comments was never to defend that EO was "always full". My initial post was stating that 1/3 full in October is probably not bad attendance for a 3-D movie. I was not invalidating anyone's observations or experiences. If anything, I was trying to make a point that a "full theater" would not be a way to test the success of an attraction. :wave:

WondersOfLife

While that is generally true, I will point to the stupid raised sidwalk that is the former Peoplemover track. Frankly, that thing is a bigger atrocity that anything TDO has left standing in a pointless state. Here's hoping you're right and Tomorrowland gets some major rehab work out there.

First of all, someone tell me what "TDO" is?

Second, if it involves leaving an attraction abandoned, I think Wonders of Life was the biggest thing left abandoned, a whole building not being used. I think Disney World isn't going to worry about EO if they can go ahead and worry about the rest of the Imagination and WoL pavilion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If Disney could fix up the Imagination ride and Imageworks, our Captain EO would be even more popular... at the moment it's just as popular as H.I.S.T.A. was.. our EO isn't going to be touched unless DL's version is, it's not fair. :mad: At this point, Captain EO is the least of Disney's concerns.
If the current state of the Imagination pavilion was physically preventing people from entering the theater then you would have point but the simple fact is that it is not. At best an awesome Imagination attraction would gain EO some fast pass waiters like Living with the land gets from Soarin but at that point any movie would get the same attendance.

Team Disney Orlando. it is WDW management team.

Second, if it involves leaving an attraction abandoned, I think Wonders of Life was the biggest thing left abandoned, a whole building not being used. I think Disney World isn't going to worry about EO if they can go ahead and worry about the rest of the Imagination and WoL pavilion.
WoL is far from abandoned. Disney uses it for special events, private parties, etc and is making a pretty penny doing it.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Sadly, from what I could tell from the photos, it wasn't much worse than a typical Fantasmic showing. Frontierland cannot be traversed when Fantasmic is being shown (just as the hub cannot be traversed during the fireworks - it's an unfortunate effect of the smaller park footprint).

Actually it was worse, in that it was that way for a solid week, not just 2 hours at night. I was there on April 30, a week before the premiere. No river attractions or TSI. No Fantasmic showings. 2/3 of the walkway around the south and SW sides of the river blocked by the grandstand. Access to POTC, and the shops and eateries in Frontierland and New Orleans Square rerouted. One-way paths requiring doubling back to get places. In short, a mess.

Ah, but WoL is not out in the open like the PeopleMover track. Plus, the pavilion is being used fairly often for special events. Not the way I'd want it to be used, but it is being used. Can't say that for the track in DL.

Krack

Actually it was worse, in that it was that way for a solid week, not just 2 hours at night. I was there on April 30, a week before the premiere. No river attractions or TSI. No Fantasmic showings. 2/3 of the walkway around the south and SW sides of the river blocked by the grandstand. Access to POTC, and the shops and eateries in Frontierland and New Orleans Square rerouted. One-way paths requiring doubling back to get places. In short, a mess.

Holy crap! That left it that way for a week! Somebody seriously dropped the ball on that one - there is absolutely no reason why that set up should have taken more than a single night to put into place (and dismantle), even if they had to close the park a little early the night before to get it accomplished. I have noticed over the years that when Burbank travels to Anaheim, TDA often loses its common sense and the fan experience becomes a teeny-tiny concern.

WondersOfLife

Ah, but WoL is not out in the open like the PeopleMover track. Plus, the pavilion is being used fairly often for special events. Not the way I'd want it to be used, but it is being used. Can't say that for the track in DL.

One thing that's finally being replaced is the Skyway Station in Fantasyland.

Well what about River Country? (If that counts)

Or the Pocahontas stage at Animal Kingdom, either way I guess they don't count. I'm happy we still have our TTA! I love going on it when I get bored, I get to sight-see, picture-take, and people-watch

WondersOfLife

If the current state of the Imagination pavilion was physically preventing people from entering the theater then you would have point but the simple fact is that it is not. At best an awesome Imagination attraction would gain EO some fast pass waiters like Living with the land gets from Soarin but at that point any movie would get the same attendance.

Well what I meant was that if Disney fixed up the rest of the pavilion with some attractions that brought people over to the pavilion, they'd then probably notice Captain EO instead of ignoring it on the map and give it a shot :shrug:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
We went to Disneyland last Wednesday. We saw Captain EO while waiting for our FP return time at Space. Our showing was probably a bit more than a 1/4 full, and there was applause when MJ showed up on screen and at the end. Considering the park was pretty much dead and a showing of MuppetVision a lil while before had maybe 10 people, I think that was just fine. We've seen it a bunch of times over the past few months and there's always been a decent crowd and applause. The merch seems to sell, too. I think the only way this thing would leave DL anytime soon is if they've truly got plans for the whole Innoventions/Red Rockett's/EO area.

MickeyPeace

Team Disney Orlando. it is WDW management team.

That used to bother me too. Did disney bloggers come up with that moniker or does Disney corporate use it officially.

I wish we could do away with internet words such as "team" this or that. "epic" "fail" "totes" "shiz" and all other Perez Hilton-isms.

For the record, I was at EO last sept and it played to a 3/4 full house. No one has mentioned what I found to be the worst part of the attraction. That horrible pre-show movie. That combined with standing on a sloped hard surface while watching it was painful.

MickeyPeace

We went to Disneyland last Wednesday. We saw Captain EO while waiting for our FP return time at Space. Our showing was probably a bit more than a 1/4 full, and there was applause when MJ showed up on screen and at the end. Considering the park was pretty much dead and a showing of MuppetVision a lil while before had maybe 10 people, I think that was just fine. We've seen it a bunch of times over the past few months and there's always been a decent crowd and applause. The merch seems to sell, too. I think the only way this thing would leave DL anytime soon is if they've truly got plans for the whole Innoventions/Red Rockett's/EO area.

Lol. Since this site is dedicated to WDW I overlooked that you wrote about DL and I thought-
you were at Hollywood Studios a little while before you got to Epcot as you were watching EO to kill time before using a FP for Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom.
You would have needed to time travel.

Enchantâmes

That used to bother me too. Did disney bloggers come up with that moniker or does Disney corporate use it officially.

I wish we could do away with internet words such as "team" this or that. "epic" "fail" "totes" "shiz" and all other Perez Hilton-isms.

Get off the internet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom