TDL keeping Captain Eo

AEfx

Original Poster
I know this is TDL news, but I think many here might find it interesting.

I have a feeling it might stay at Disneyland for quite some time (it's very popular there), but that WDW's version might not fare as long. Who knows - they may just shutter the whole pavillion and start fresh (might not even have a 3-D film).

3-D "sit in theater" films are starting to become less interesting it seems, as we now have 3-D screen rides (Star Tours, Spiderman, etc.) and people get 3-D in the theaters all the time (and now some at home). Getting squirted with water is the only difference LOL.

So I don't think WDW's will be staying permanently, but again...totally wouldn't surprise me if Disneyland's did.

http://www.examiner.com/worldwide-disney-theme-parks-in-national/captain-eo-to-become-a-permanent-attraction-at-tokyo-disneyland

misterID

I know this is TDL news, but I think many here might find it interesting.

I have a feeling it might stay at Disneyland for quite some time (it's very popular there), but that WDW's version might not fare as long. Who knows - they may just shutter the whole pavillion and start fresh (might not even have a 3-D film).

3-D "sit in theater" films are starting to become less interesting it seems, as we now have 3-D screen rides (Star Tours, Spiderman, etc.) and people get 3-D in the theaters all the time (and now some at home). Getting squirted with water is the only difference LOL.

So I don't think WDW's will be staying permanently, but again...totally wouldn't surprise me if Disneyland's did.

http://www.examiner.com/worldwide-disney-theme-parks-in-national/captain-eo-to-become-a-permanent-attraction-at-tokyo-disneyland

Makes sense seeing how popular MJ is in Japan still.

I doubt EO will stay at DL, though. I'm pretty sure they have plans for that spot and are itching to get to it.

WDWFigment

As much as I hate being "that guy" who posts his anecdotal evidence, I'll post this anyway and people can take it for what it's worth:

When we were at Disneyland last week, there were never more than a handful of people queue'd up for EO. Given the guests I saw for it, I would bet it's in the bottom 10% in terms of attraction popularity there. Just a bet, though.

Like I said, take this information for what it's worth. I think at one point, EO was really popular out there, but I think that day has come and gone.

Personally, I really hope the plans for Tomorrowland at DLR that have been circulating come to fruition sooner rather than later. That land is a mess and although the kinetics improved a bit with the new Star Tours exterior, there is still a lot of work to be done.

menamechris

The ironic thing is that I am speculating the opposite. Disneyland is in a constant state of reviewing and updating it seems in their parks. Being that locals make up a huge amount of their attendence, they are very in tune with what they want and are held to a very high standard in that regard.

Then we have WDW. Where there seems to be a small and pretty non-vocal "core" fanbase (locals). WDW is not nearly as concerned with leaving unpopular attractions open (apparently an accidental fire is what it takes for them to consider changing one). In fact, the last ten years or so, it has been pretty much the norm that an attraction at Disney is more of a "space-holder" - so opinions seem to fall of deaf ears.

The bottom line - a 3-D movie is insanely cheap to have open. And it is hard to gauge the popularity of it - since it is highly unlikely that guests will sit through it everytime they visit - or even every two times they visit. If DL guest are tired ot if, I can see it being replaced very soon. However, I think it could play to completely empty theatres at WDW and still stay open another ten years.

imagineer boy

I doubt Eo will stay at TDL forever. At some point they'll replace it with a killer attraction that will put all WDW attractions to shame as usual.

draybook

I don't know about off season but when we were there in March(EO at WDW), it was packed, with a full lobby waiting on the next show. I hope they keep it around for a while, especially at DL so I can see it there next summer!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A while ago I admit, but I saw both US EOs last September and both were busy. Sorry. Had to plug that :D

I hope if any version becomes more permenant that the proper infrastructure will be added to replicate all the original in theatre effects. LED spots may be cool but there should be a whole lot more.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As much as I hate being "that guy" who posts his anecdotal evidence, I'll post this anyway and people can take it for what it's worth:

When we were at Disneyland last week, there were never more than a handful of people queue'd up for EO. Given the guests I saw for it, I would bet it's in the bottom 10% in terms of attraction popularity there. Just a bet, though.

Like I said, take this information for what it's worth. I think at one point, EO was really popular out there, but I think that day has come and gone.

Personally, I really hope the plans for Tomorrowland at DLR that have been circulating come to fruition sooner rather than later. That land is a mess and although the kinetics improved a bit with the new Star Tours exterior, there is still a lot of work to be done.

I had the same experience a week ago. The EO theatre couldn't have been more than half full on a day with long lines for virtually everything.

And, yes, DLR's Tomorrowland is a mess. But there are bigger problems than a theater playing an older, not-so-popular 3-D movie. The astrojets just clog everything up where they are now; the dead Peoplemove/Rocket Rods track looks terrible and screws up any sightlines that might be developed; the path leading back to autopia and the train station is narrow and difficult to navigate; the outdoor part of the Space Mountain and Buzz queues are the aesthetcially displeasing queues anywhere, with the added beneift of roasting the sun; and Innoventions has even recently been robbed its cool little intro -- you now enter on the second floor and exit on the first.

WDWFigment

I had the same experience a week ago. The EO theatre couldn't have been more than half full on a day with long lines for virtually everything.

And, yes, DLR's Tomorrowland is a mess. But there are bigger problems than a theater playing an older, not-so-popular 3-D movie. The astrojets just clog everything up where they are now; the dead Peoplemove/Rocket Rods track looks terrible and screws up any sightlines that might be developed; the path leading back to autopia and the train station is narrow and difficult to navigate; the outdoor part of the Space Mountain and Buzz queues are the aesthetcially displeasing queues anywhere, with the added beneift of roasting the sun; and Innoventions has even recently been robbed its cool little intro -- you now enter on the second floor and exit on the first.

Disneyland seems really good about working in areas where it seems that traffic would prohibit (DCA entrance, Hollywood Pictures Backlot entrance for track installation, NOS for Pirates Premiere, etc.) and it seems like there are some pretty strong rumors for major changes to all of Tomorrowland out there. I wouldn't be surprised if significant areas of Tomorrowland were walled off next year once Carsland is open.

I think it's a safe bet that EO will leave DLR before it leaves Epcot. TDA does not let things stagnate like TDO does.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disneyland seems really good about working in areas where it seems that traffic would prohibit (DCA entrance, Hollywood Pictures Backlot entrance for track installation, NOS for Pirates Premiere, etc.) and it seems like there are some pretty strong rumors for major changes to all of Tomorrowland out there. I wouldn't be surprised if significant areas of Tomorrowland were walled off next year once Carsland is open.

I think it's a safe bet that EO will leave DLR before it leaves Epcot. TDA does not let things stagnate like TDO does.

While that is generally true, I will point to the stupid raised sidwalk that is the former Peoplemover track. Frankly, that thing is a bigger atrocity that anything TDO has left standing in a pointless state. Here's hoping you're right and Tomorrowland gets some major rehab work out there.

And as for the Pirates Premiere...what a disaster the set up made of Frontierland and New Orleans Square. Holy cow.

menamechris

Nope. It was 1/3rd full when I went back in October. And unless nervous chuckle is the new applause no one clapped at the end.

Then again, both of us are just anecdotal.

In all fairness - 1/3 full is pretty darn good for a show that runs every 15 minutes - and during off-season.

menamechris

October is not the off season for Epcot.

I was speaking more to the resort as a whole. Yes, Epcot brings in a lot of people for Food & Wine, but the bulk of extra guests are locals and cast members. You know, people who won't be making a special trip to see a 3-D movie they have already seen...

But the fact that you are not a fan of EO is understood.

draybook

October is not the off season for Epcot.

tumblr_ky7qujFlRD1qzn2wro1_500.jpg

jakeman

I was speaking more to the resort as a whole. Yes, Epcot brings in a lot of people for Food & Wine, but the bulk of extra guests are locals and cast members. You know, people who won't be making a special trip to see a 3-D movie they have already seen...

But the fact that you are not a fan of EO is understood.
I don't really think I said that in this thread, but thanks for attempting to marginalize my observation by casting my opinion in a negative light.

I'm not sure very many guest make a "special trip" to Disney to see EO beyond the participants of message boards and fans of the late artist.

You'll also noticed that I did readily admit that my experience was anecdotal.

Instead of commenting on your annoying use of an internet meme, I'll attempt to address your point I believe you were trying to make.

I may be off the mark as your response is akin to a three year old smearing paint on a wall and expecting the parent to decipher that it is a unicorn.

With the Food and Wine Festival Epcot is very busy in the month of October and very much not "off season". Especially compared to months like January and February where there is a lull between the two major festivals.

draybook

And your tantrum is akin to a three year old being told no. We get it, you don't like Captain EO. There's no need to turn it into a big deal. I was simply using a picture in a lighthearted attempt at humor about the whole like it/hate it thing going on with EO. Maybe you need to calm down and quit being so defensive. :fork:

jakeman

And your tantrum is akin to a three year old being told no. We get it, you don't like Captain EO. There's no need to turn it into a big deal. I was simply using a picture in a lighthearted attempt at humor about the whole like it/hate it thing going on with EO. Maybe you need to calm down and quit being so defensive. :fork:
I never said I didn't like EO. I'm, at best, apathetic towards it, just like I was HISTA.

I saw it. The theater was about 1/3 full in October. At the end everyone just kind of nervously chuckled and left.

I'm not sure how my experience at EO turned into me hating it. :shrug:

I was responding to the absolute statement that EO is always full.

You and menamechris are getting awfully wound up about this, not me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom