TDA Changes Affecting WDW?

travelskip

what's TDA?

TDA is short for Team Disney Anahiem, the big administration building that can be seen from the crest to Gadget's Go Coaster's lift hill. It is bright yellow on that side so it fits into Mickey's Toowntown and irridescent green on the side facing the five freeway behind the Disneyland Resort. It holds msot of the Resorts main offices. Save for parts of entertainment, which is in the old admin building behind Main Street and Sales/Marketing, which is in the Disneyland Resort Center (aka DRC, or BOB - Big Orange Building), which is next to the Disneyland Hotel's Bonita (soon to be Wonder) tower.

kcnole

Al is the first to break a ton of information and he's batting a very high percentage lately for being correct. Kevins articles are a waste of bandwith but I can't say the same for Al. Sure he bashes WDW the way he used to bash DL back in the day, but the fact is that most of us do as well. We just don't like it because he says that DL does it better. The fact is, anyone who's visited DL agrees that their park blows our MK away.

Al was the first to really report on what Midway Mania was, he broke the Pirate Island thing long before anyone had a clue about it, he was one of the first to tell us about the corporate restructuring and also about the major news of what is coming for DCA. He knows a lot about DL. He doesn't know as much about WDW as he likes to think and his bias shows there, but when talking about the things on the west coast he's batting a very high percentage.

lilclerk

Save the Fountainview, anyone? Wand is Satan-spawn? Primeval Whirl is evil? MGM is a disaster? Haunted Mansion is deplorable? Our Space Mountain is a carny ride compared to the other 4 Spaces around the world? Brer Rabbit still isn't hopping? The parades suck? Paint is chipping? Lights are burned out? Pop Century is gaudy? The new Contemporary Tower is a travesty? Stitch's Great Mistake? Why-oh-why is X attraction closed for MY vacation? What does Toy Story Mania have to do with MGM? Star Tours is dated? TAKE DOWN THE HAT!

Wow, I'm out of breath just reading that.

wannab@dis

critical of WDW...as are most of the folks on this site.
That's VERY unfortunate for this site...

MK is a mess,
Really? Wow... and here I thought it was the most visited park in the world WITH attendance INCREASING and several updates planned...
MGM is a shell of a park,
Again... in the top 10 visited parks in the world... a Shell? I wish I owned a few of those shells... :rolleyes:
no expansion is going on at AK
New Mountain
New Musical
New TS Restaurant
No expansion? :veryconfu

Jay Rasulo is a moron. Fact.
Fact? whatever...

Just be sure to let us know when you become an executive at Disney and we'll be sure to call you a moron.
Disney Parks was dumb. Fact.
Interesting... dumb? Don't agree. Success? Maybe, maybe not. I can only say that after every commercial that's been on TV recently with the Disney Parks logo... my little girl tells us she's ready to go back to Disney world. Never before this marketing campaign has that happened... could be age related, but the latest commercials sure hit that spot with her. And then she hits us up for a trip... and it worked.

ToTBellHop

That's VERY unfortunate for this site...

Really? Wow... and here I thought it was the most visited park in the world WITH attendance INCREASING and several updates planned...

Again... in the top 10 visited parks in the world... a Shell? I wish I owned a few of those shells... :rolleyes:

New Mountain
New Musical
New TS Restaurant
No expansion? :veryconfu

Fact? whatever...

Just be sure to let us know when you become an executive at Disney and we'll be sure to call you a moron.

Interesting... dumb? Don't agree. Success? Maybe, maybe not. I can only say that after every commercial that's been on TV recently with the Disney Parks logo... my little girl tells us she's ready to go back to Disney world. Never before this marketing campaign has that happened... could be age related, but the latest commercials sure hit that spot with her. And then she hits us up for a trip... and it worked.
I think you missed the point--I was listing all of the complaints I could think of that are frequently found on this site to counter the notion that Al Lutz is an unreasonable whiner. And if you don't think MGM is a shell of a theme park, well...~snorts~

You are free to worship Rasulo, but you will be worshipping him all the way down the umemployment line, and suffice it to say, your daughter will not be seeing any more of the Disney Parks logo, and it's for good reason. Disney throws up expensive-to-produce commercials for fun? I don't think so.

-------------------

I agree with you guys on Kevin Yee--he's simply not an insider, just gives opinion pieces...which are fine for what they are, but I, too, skim. Sometimes he has a couple rumors to report, but you usually have to skim through 3 pages of crap to find them. Lutz's reports, however, I enjoy. Yee is generally good for his Declining/Inclining by Degrees--why? Because he tends to take pictures of the stuff he sees as tacky, which management tends to see and quickly fix. It's a beautiful thing.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Same thing i posted elsewhere about Al's ridiculous assertion that WDW wont get funding/focus because of DCA:

How long have people been ranting that the focus was on DL and WDW was getting nothing? "The people in charge like DL more!" comes up every few weeks.

In the meantime, ever since people got angry when WDW got Soarin' and LMAX for the 50th, we've also had Everest, Nemo, Nemo show, TSM, Haunted Mansion overhaul, and SSE's rebuild. Not to mention the room makeover of the Contemporary, WL, Poly, and now the Grand Floridian. Nor should we forget DVC at AKL and DVC at the Contemporary. Oh - and PI's makeover. Wait, there's still O Canada, Grand Fiesta, and the restaurant makeover at Japan - plus AA just got new scenes. All while the "focus" was supposedly to be on DLR.

Doesn't add up this time, didn't add up last time. WDW's not going to stop developement anytime soon.

ToTBellHop

most of the complaints stem from the fact that MGM has seen nothing worthwhile in years (yes, TSM is coming) and the MK is so stale that we are suddenly praising them for conducting refurbishments that should've happened all along (and, by the way, have already happened out in California).

There is a slight irony to find mousermerf complaining about the complainers though. Oh well, Save the Fountainview (before "Sqishy" gets it).

The Mak

The fact that one of our resident insiders, Lee, seems to think Lutz has most of his facts straight tends to make me believe...as does the fact that I have my own brain and have seen time and again the facts that Lutz has had right over the 6 or so years I've read the site. Sure, my opinions are opinions, but that doesn't discount the fact that Disney Parks is dead for a reason (Disney would not pull its expensive decorations and create new, also expensive decorations for fun) and that Rasulo is on thin ice. Whatever Disney bashing you see from Lutz that you don't find here as well, I'd certainly love to see. I am intrigued, though, that you would bash Lutz's bashing on a site that bashes Disney all the time. Save the Fountainview, anyone? Wand is Satan-spawn? Primeval Whirl is evil? MGM is a disaster? Haunted Mansion is deplorable? Our Space Mountain is a carny ride compared to the other 4 Spaces around the world? Brer Rabbit still isn't hopping? The parades suck? Paint is chipping? Lights are burned out? Pop Century is gaudy? The new Contemporary Tower is a travesty? Stitch's Great Mistake? Why-oh-why is X attraction closed for MY vacation? What does Toy Story Mania have to do with MGM? Star Tours is dated? TAKE DOWN THE HAT!

Lutz is the complainer? Give me a freakin break. He complains that Cast Members are not properly compensated, that they deserve better employee cafeterias, and that DCA was poorly planned. Well CMs should have better compensation (and if they did, they could get better workers out at DL), better food for them would be nice (and Disney seems to be paying Sodexho to do just that), and Disney isn't now going to spend $1 billion on DL's sister park because they have some extra money to throw around.

Post of the Month. I agree 100%

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Getting back to the original topic, does anyone know if Baxter's spearheading of DLR means JII has been put on the back burner again? I thought he was going to be heading that project.

Will these trips WDW heads have made to DLR influence the refurbs of HM, Space Mountain, and JC? It already sounds like HM is going to be more like the Cali counterpart.

What, if any, of the plans on the plate for DCA will eventually make their way to the Sunshine state? As it's been stated before, WDW could certainly use some work in areas, and it looks like DCA might have some designs to share (a billion dollars' worth!).

wickedfan07

I'm glad to see that DCA is getting some major TLC. Now if the execs said to WDW, "Here's $1 Billion, fix as much as you can," I'd be even happier. :)

Why is it that MK, Epcot and MGM all share one Imagineer? I understand why Joe Rhode only handles AK, but why don't the other parks have dedicated Imagineers at the helm as well?

As for DCA attractions coming over to WDW, I think that's a wait-and-see kind of thing. I'd rather Disney gave us something more original, or something not already being built in the US. If the same exact ride is in both DL and WDW, then that's one less reason I should pay to visit Anaheim.

ToTBellHop

Getting back to the original topic, does anyone know if Baxter's spearheading of DLR means JII has been put on the back burner again? I thought he was going to be heading that project.

Will these trips WDW heads have made to DLR influence the refurbs of HM, Space Mountain, and JC? It already sounds like HM is going to be more like the Cali counterpart.

What, if any, of the plans on the plate for DCA will eventually make their way to the Sunshine state? As it's been stated before, WDW could certainly use some work in areas, and it looks like DCA might have some designs to share (a billion dollars' worth!).
the trips to DL are most definitely affecting our refurbishments, but more interesting is the rides they have been looking at over in CA that we don't have yet...like the Monsters, Inc. dark ride. I would love to finally see a group of dark rides outside of the Magic Kingdom. The option that dark rides provide for is something like we have out in CA, with Alice in Wonderland built on top of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride--two rides occupying the same space. Pretty ideal for a park like MGM that is a bit limited for space.

TP2000

WDW's not going to stop developement anytime soon.

That's not what Al Lutz said. He only stated that DCA just got a Billion dollar budget for fixes and expansion, while work continues adding a few things to Disneyland and expanding Downtown Disney Anaheim and remodeling some of the Disney hotels. And then several other reliable "insiders" on several other websites all backed up that Lutz info and said it was accurate.

"Stop development" means nothing happens. Stuff will continue to happen, and be added, and spruced up to old standards, at WDW in the next five years. But an extra Billion dollars for Anaheim on top of the normal capital expenditures already planned there is a very big deal.

And why does Disneyland Resort have two famous WDI Senior Vice Presidents in charge of it for just two little parks? If WDW has two WDI SVP's, one famous and one rather infamous, for their four big parks then something must be up for Anaheim. You don't stack the deck with that much Imagineering firepower if you are just going to do some rehabs and add a dark ride.

And what is Joe Rohde doing in Animal Kingdom? Everest is over a year old now. What's next? Where are the bulldozers? I haven't even heard one decent rumor for a new Animal Kingdom ride, which tells me there won't be anything for at least three years. Maybe four. What does Joe Rohde do to keep himself occupied with a theme park that has no current attractions under construction or in final planning? Is he really that busy picking out the drapes for the Yak & Yeti? :D

TP2000

I would love to finally see a group of dark rides outside of the Magic Kingdom.

I've never understood why WDW, especially Magic Kingdom, has so few dark rides. Big, brawny Magic Kingdom only has three dark rides. None of the other WDW parks even has one. Little, tiny Disneyland has SEVEN different dark rides. And DCA has the zippy Monsters Inc. dark ride, for a total of EIGHT dark rides in Anaheim, all within a 20 minute stroll of each other.

What caused the aversion to traditional Disney dark rides in Florida? :confused:

Nicole220

First off, YAY!!!! DCA is finally getting attention! :sohappy: :sohappy:

My favorite part of the article besides the 1 Billion dollar part:
There are even some folks at WDI who are saying that if DCA gets everything the board just approved that DCA could rival DisneySea or Epcot as one of the best second-gates in the Disney empire.

:lookaroun

Who would have thought?

Where's mickster? :lol:

darthjohnny

A couple of things I didn't understand about Al Lutz's assertions:

-What was so controversial about the "Where Dreams Come True" vs. "Year of a Million Dreams"? I understand it. Why does it "confuse people."
-Al Lutz is the type of person who complains about theming and whether or not current theming fits and what not. So why does he want a "Villians Theme" at DCA? How does that fit in with the spirit of California at all?
-I still can't see Lutz's info about rennovating DCA coming to light. I loved DCA when I went. But Lutz, among others, feels DCA is a failure and people don't respect it and is in favor of redoing it. But that would mean that Disney is literally admitting a mistake. If Lutz thinks people don't respect the park now, people will surely dislike it even more if they knew Disney had a "failure" on there hands, regardless if they redo it. That's not good business.

darthjohnny

I've never understood why WDW, especially Magic Kingdom, has so few dark rides. Big, brawny Magic Kingdom only has three dark rides. None of the other WDW parks even has one. Little, tiny Disneyland has SEVEN different dark rides. And DCA has the zippy Monsters Inc. dark ride, for a total of EIGHT dark rides in Anaheim, all within a 20 minute stroll of each other.

What caused the aversion to traditional Disney dark rides in Florida? :confused:

Well, that depends on what you count as a "dark ride."

By my count, Magic Kingdom has:
  1. Pirates of the Caribbean
  2. Splash Moutain
  3. The Haunted Mansion
  4. Peter Pan's Flight
  5. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  6. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
  7. You could also count Stitch's Great Escape (though that's not really a "ride" in terms of a moving vehicle).
So MK does have quite a few dark rides.

Also, there is Journey into Imagination in Epcot. And if you count the boat rides, there is Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros and Maelstrom. Don't forget about The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

In MGM, I don't know the details yet, but I think Toy Story Mania might be considered a dark ride. There's also the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. (One could argue whether or not Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is a dark ride." I say yes. Maybe even the Great Movie Ride.

And in Animal Kingdom, one could say that Dinosaur is a dark ride.

So there are quite a few in WDW. :wave:

Nicole220

A couple of things I didn't understand about Al Lutz's assertions:

-Al Lutz is the type of person who complains about theming and whether or not current theming fits and what not. So why does he want a "Villians Theme" at DCA? How does that fit in with the spirit of California at all.
Gah!! :brick: I don't get this either!!

People complain about the theme not working in DCA, and then come up with that! When Al mentioned it a while back, everyone loved the idea. I don't like it at all. Everyone is so obsessed with villans. I really don't get it. CA Screamin' looks fine, it fits perfectly with the whole pier theme. Why ruin something they're trying to fix??

Nicole220

Sorry to sound dumb but what is TDA?
Quoting travelskip:

TDA is short for Team Disney Anahiem, the big administration building that can be seen from the crest to Gadget's Go Coaster's lift hill. It is bright yellow on that side so it fits into Mickey's Toowntown and irridescent green on the side facing the five freeway behind the Disneyland Resort. It holds msot of the Resorts main offices. Save for parts of entertainment, which is in the old admin building behind Main Street and Sales/Marketing, which is in the Disneyland Resort Center (aka DRC, or BOB - Big Orange Building), which is next to the Disneyland Hotel's Bonita (soon to be Wonder) tower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom