TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

matt9112

This will be a nice refresher for the anchor attraction that most guests will see first in the near future. The area around the GMR is very symbolic as it is sort of a hub in ways...it flows architecturaly into sunset Boulevard and also can neatly flow into the other parts of the park....

aladdin2007

Based on reading responses here (and the front page article - wouldn't load for me yesterday).

IMHO, having Robert at the preshow is going to be a downgrade - I believe the trailers speak for themselves. If the 'continuous loop' of the preshow goes away (and you have to wait outside the 'theatre' to watch a lesser preshow in full), the downgrade is much, much, more pronounced. (Disturbing the preshow could more than offset the good that TCM will bring to content in the finale).

Kiddies - everything doesn't have to be for them. Does the witch or the alien scare them? There are other attractions for them to enjoy. Perhaps not yet in DHS, but once the carny rides come....

'But the new generation doesn't relate to old films' - So? TCM makes it even more about classics (and minimizes the need to 'update' w/ new things). And that is a good thing...

Musicals - are an important part of Hollywood. And if you think of all the Mouse's animated classics, a good many (a majority perhaps?) are animated MUSICALS. So in effect, a good percentage of the parkgoing public are fans of musicals...

Fantasia - can that realistically be replaced with animatronics (what's behind that wall?)...

The Fantasia scene was originally suppose to be the Tornado in Kansas, and then you enter Munchkinland just like in the movie from dark black/white, to glorious technicolor lol. I wish they would do that.

PorterRedkey

This is a quote from the Orlando Sentenal article:

"TCM will work with Disney Imagineers to give a makeover to the ride's film-montage finale. It also will install a classic-movie-themed scene in which visitors can have photos taken."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-turner-classic-movies-20141126-story.html

At first I thought this sounded like a new scene for the ride with an on-ride photo, but the more I read it I think it is just a backdrop you can stand in front of and get a photo.

If they were to replace a scene, I think they may try to replace the classic monsters/"horror" scene, especially since Universal is trying to re-launch the classic monsters like Dracula and the Mummy starting in 2016.

Kman101

Maybe a dumb question but where will they be putting the "photo op"? I'm not picturing a spot in my head but admittedly it's been a bit of time since I've been on the ride.

Matt_Black

If they were to replace a scene, I think they may try to replace the classic monsters/"horror" scene, especially since Universal is trying to re-launch the classic monsters like Dracula and the Mummy starting in 2016.

They already started the relaunch with Dracula Untold and it... didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Mrs.Toad

Great News! I love TCM. And not too long ago there was that speculative thread about would GMR ever go? Nice to see those concerns for the future subsided.
I'll take this.

rael ramone

The Fantasia scene was originally suppose to be the Tornado in Kansas, and then you enter Munchkinland just like in the movie from dark black/white, to glorious technicolor lol. I wish they would do that.

I've seen others post that here. I'm wondering if that scene, due to the buildings structure, that wall *has* to be a screen.

rael ramone

I think he was lamenting having to wait for and actually watch the pre-show as opposed to passing through to get to the ride.

Not quite.

The way it works right now: You enter the preshow as you progress in line (not wait for a 'next showing' to start). Though (IIRC) Footlight Parade is the 'first' trailer, it makes no difference as you experience them. If the line is short, you have the option of seeing less of it (though I always see them all). If the line is longer, the 'attraction' (IMHO) begins once you enter the theatre, so 25 minutes means shorter to the start then posted. The attraction starts with you entering the Chinese Theatre. As you progress into the 'theatre' proper, you see trailers. (Like today after all the commercials are played). Then for the main event, you LIVE the movies ('and what will be your fate' during the Indy scene). But it is centered around going to see movies the way they were intended to be seen - in a theatre.

How it may look after: You go into the Chinese Theatre, but the preshow is centered, not on the act of going to the movies: but turning on your television and watching Robert Osborne tell you what is coming up next on a Basic Cable channel. (They probably won't touch the 'theatre' decor of the theatre, but there's nothing 'theatric' about a Robert Osborne mini-lecture). And if it has a definite 'beginning, middle, and end' that they want everyone to see in full once it starts, it will make the wait even longer to see the attraction - all for a preshow that loses the dynamic of the trailers and no longer feels like it's part of the attraction. IMHO, whatever plusses the TCM 'brand' brings to the finale (and I think it will) will have a hard time making up for the lessening that happens to the start of the attraction - and it kind of messes with the theme of the attraction as a whole.

That said, it is good that 1) the attraction will still be here, and 2) they aren't going with the "it has to be nothing but films/franchises owned by $DIS" - TCM if applied the way they seem to may lessen the overall enjoyment and guest flow of the attraction, but it would be keeping it about classic Hollywood 'as a whole' - which the 'All $DIS owned' way decidedly would not, but would feel like a big commercial in a park that among other things, has a problem with layering it on thick in the 'pushing $DIS owned stuff' department.

Victor Kelly

One possible scene they can change is Aliens, last time we were there it barely worked. Overall, maybe they need to change more. It has been running fairly unchanged for many years now. A total rebuild could be in order, add new scenes, new tech, new ending film.

PorterRedkey

They already started the relaunch with Dracula Untold and it... didn't exactly set the world on fire.

This is from a screen rants article:
"Universal, as it were, has the Dracula origins film Dracula Untold arriving in October – though it’s actually the Mummy reboot (scheduled for 2016) that is going to serve as the beginning of the new Cinematic Universe – but 20th Century Fox will be first to put a new spin on the Frankenstein mythology (no, this year’s I, Frankenstein doesn’t count), with the film Victor Frankenstein in Fall 2015."
http://screenrant.com/universal-monster-movies-reboot-universe/

Whenever it "officially" starts, it sounds like a lot of the studios have "classic monster" projects in the works, but not Disney. Since it is a brief section in GMR that just seems like an after-thought, I could see it being replaced. The fact that it is vaguely advertising another studio's current movies, could just add to the reasons the scene needs replaced. I really don't know how much Disney thinks about that. However, I bet there is no way Harry Potter in included in the new finishing montage. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not quite.

The way it works right now: You enter the preshow as you progress in line (not wait for a 'next showing' to start). Though (IIRC) Footlight Parade is the 'first' trailer, it makes no difference as you experience them. If the line is short, you have the option of seeing less of it (though I always see them all). If the line is longer, the 'attraction' (IMHO) begins once you enter the theatre, so 25 minutes means shorter to the start then posted. The attraction starts with you entering the Chinese Theatre. As you progress into the 'theatre' proper, you see trailers. (Like today after all the commercials are played). Then for the main event, you LIVE the movies ('and what will be your fate' during the Indy scene). But it is centered around going to see movies the way they were intended to be seen - in a theatre.

How it may look after: You go into the Chinese Theatre, but the preshow is centered, not on the act of going to the movies: but turning on your television and watching Robert Osborne tell you what is coming up next on a Basic Cable channel. (They probably won't touch the 'theatre' decor of the theatre, but there's nothing 'theatric' about a Robert Osborne mini-lecture). And if it has a definite 'beginning, middle, and end' that they want everyone to see in full once it starts, it will make the wait even longer to see the attraction - all for a preshow that loses the dynamic of the trailers and no longer feels like it's part of the attraction. IMHO, whatever plusses the TCM 'brand' brings to the finale (and I think it will) will have a hard time making up for the lessening that happens to the start of the attraction - and it kind of messes with the theme of the attraction as a whole.

That said, it is good that 1) the attraction will still be here, and 2) they aren't going with the "it has to be nothing but films/franchises owned by $DIS" - TCM if applied the way they seem to may lessen the overall enjoyment and guest flow of the attraction, but it would be keeping it about classic Hollywood 'as a whole' - which the 'All $DIS owned' way decidedly would not, but would feel like a big commercial in a park that among other things, has a problem with layering it on thick in the 'pushing $DIS owned stuff' department.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought the pre-show they are talking about updating is the big screen movie previews right before you walk through the doors and get on the ride. Right now you walk into the theater and there are rows with railings and you wait there for the doors to be open and the ride to begin. The previews right now are on a continuous loop so if there is not much of a line you probably aren't waiting very long in that pre-show area.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly you are assuming the pre-show will now have a beginning and an end so they will allow people into the theater until it's time to begin then you will have to watch the entire pre-show before you can pass through the doors onto the ride. I guess it's possible they could do that, but it's not a guarantee. They could just show movie previews like they currently do but they are narrated by Robert Osbourne from TCM. I really don't think it will change to an advertisement for what is going to air on TCM.

Goofyernmost

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought the pre-show they are talking about updating is the big screen movie previews right before you walk through the doors and get on the ride. Right now you walk into the theater and there are rows with railings and you wait there for the doors to be open and the ride to begin. The previews right now are on a continuous loop so if there is not much of a line you probably aren't waiting very long in that pre-show area.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly you are assuming the pre-show will now have a beginning and an end so they will allow people into the theater until it's time to begin then you will have to watch the entire pre-show before you can pass through the doors onto the ride. I guess it's possible they could do that, but it's not a guarantee. They could just show movie previews like they currently do but they are narrated by Robert Osbourne from TCM. I really don't think it will change to an advertisement for what is going to air on TCM.
You are remembering correctly. That is exactly how it works. Back in its glory days you saw that same loop many times before you got on the ride. In recent years, the line has been small enough that you only saw a few and that was as you were going through the shortened switchback and almost directly on the ride.

I do have a question. All this talk about Robert Osbourne narrating has me confused. Did they officially announce that or was that a "wish" that one of the posters made and we have run with it? I don't see how a timed pre-show will work, but, I guess it could it would just load slower and that might be fine. Nor do I see any reason to have the movies narrated at all. Perhaps in the internal ending montage, but, I don't see it in the working smoothly in the beginning. I guess that could be a good way to make sure the vehicles are filled instead of taking off with only a few on board. I guess we will see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are remembering correctly. That is exactly how it works. Back in its glory days you saw that same loop many times before you got on the ride. In recent years, the line has been small enough that you only saw a few and that was as you were going through the shortened switchback and almost directly on the ride.

I do have a question. All this talk about Robert Osbourne narrating has me confused. Did they officially announce that or was that a "wish" that one of the posters made and we have run with it? I don't see how a timed pre-show will work, but, I guess it could it would just load slower and that might be fine. Nor do I see any reason to have the movies narrated at all. Perhaps in the internal ending montage, but, I don't see it in the working smoothly in the beginning. I guess that could be a good way to make sure the vehicles are filled instead of taking off with only a few on board. I guess we will see.
From the Orlando Sentinel article:

TCM will work with Disney Imagineers to give a makeover to the ride's film-montage finale. It also will install a classic-movie-themed scene in which visitors can have photos taken.​

Boarding the ride, visitors will see digital displays of movie posters. TCM host Robert Osborne will appear in a pre-ride video.​

Osborne will also provide audio for the ride, including more in-depth explanations of the film genres it explores.
I assume that the pre-ride video discussed here is the one in the theater right before you board the ride vehicles. My guess is they redo the montage of trailers with commentary from Robert Osborne. It could actually still be a continuous loop or they could go with a more structured beginning and ending.

misterID

TCM will work with Disney Imagineers to give a makeover to the ride's film-montage finale. It also will install a classic-movie-themed scene in which visitors can have photos taken.​

Boarding the ride, visitors will see digital displays of movie posters. TCM host Robert Osborne will appear in a pre-ride video.​

Osborne will also provide audio for the ride, including more in-depth explanations of the film genres it explores.
I assume that the pre-ride video discussed here is the one in the theater right before you board the ride vehicles. My guess is they redo the montage of trailers with commentary from Robert Osborne. It could actually still be a continuous loop or they could go with a more structured beginning and ending.
Does this mean no more on ride CM guides? I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

Goofyernmost

Thank you. I must have missed that post. Well, it should be interesting to see how they make it work, but, I'm sure they will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does this mean no more on ride CM guides? I wouldn't be sad to see them go.
It's a good question. They would still need someone to drive, but it could go to recorded audio (like BLT at the end).

Another possibility is to maybe do a combination of CM audio and pre-recorded Robert Osborne. Possibly even an interaction between the 2. Either way the script will likely be updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom