Tangled restrooms opening date

lazyboy97o

I believe Transformers opened in Singapore before Hollywood, though. Universal's been making films since even earlier than the 20s. Damon and Pythias was Universal's first movie, shot on the same lot in Hollywood, and that was released in 1914.;) Other than those two remarks, great explanation, TP, as always!
While it opened there first, the attraction was originally designed for Universal Studios Hollywood.

Only one small section of the park is themed to being a movie studio, and that is Production Central, which, in fact, still has things filmed there.
New York and Hollywood were built as more permanent outdoor sets and are still occasionally used as such. ET is also housed in a soundstage and there was a small backlot where Kids Zone is located that featured a duplicate of the Bates Motel and Manor.

are the new bathrooms larger than the ones at Peter Pan? I hope so because, man, those are the most crazy crowded bathrooms in all of WDW. I don't know how many of you have been in the women's restroom there (I have a feeling this site skews male), but between all the Moms who always draw the short straw and get stuck taking the little ones to the bathroom and all the little princesses changing into their dresses to dine with Cindy, it can be a madhouse. I don't even want to get into how long you have to wait to use the changing table.

These new restrooms certainly look nice and if they handle the traffic flow better its a win-win in my book.

Plus if they really do improvements to the queue at Peter Pan, I'll be even happier. Seriously that queue is where happy vacations go to die. I've seen more "happy" families loose their shmidt doing cold hard time in the chain switchbacks on the way to Neverland, than just about anywhere else.

BryceM

While it opened there first, the attraction was originally designed for Universal Studios Hollywood.

New York and Hollywood were built as more permanent outdoor sets and are still occasionally used as such. ET is also housed in a soundstage and there was a small backlot where Kids Zone is located that featured a duplicate of the Bates Motel and Manor.
Yes, but nothing about Hollywood or New York scream "set" to me, except for the 2D city flat and the Guggenheim. And oh duh, I forgot about E.T. being located in a soundstage. I guess that makes sense now why E.T. is a soundstage if KidZone used to be a mini-backlot.

DizFiz

All hail the great and mighty restrooms of WDW... Bummer I missed out on these restrooms by one day. I will have to tour these restrooms when I go back sometime in May. Being restrooms they sure look fantastic... I find the tower being out of place thought considering its so close to HM.

The Empress Lilly

The kids love the new Dumbo, BTW. It's all in your point of view. For that matter they always ride the carousel and Goofini always gets a ride or two. The new E-ticket in FLE well the kids didn't think much of that. TSI is another place high on the kids list of things to do, you do realize MK is a family park??? Might want to talk to some kids on what they like not the adults.
There is no E-ticket in the FLE. Only a Pee-ticket.

TalkingHead

Just a reminder - Disney did NOT make a big deal out of these washrooms opening. WE DID. They learned their lesson (it would seem) with the Fantasmic! bench fiasco.

Well, depends how you define "big deal." They were mentioned by Phil Holmes in one of the Sentinel's articles about Fantasyland, I believe. And a well-known blogger-type (I wouldn't say journalist) quoted Holmes boasting about the restrooms.

So they didn't call the media to christen the new washrooms on opening day, but they didn't downplay their new restrooms, either.

(Still waiting on the Jeff Lange video-tour of each of the toilet stalls -- what's the hold up, man?!)

MarkTwain

Plus if they really do improvements to the queue at Peter Pan, I'll be even happier. Seriously that queue is where happy vacations go to die. I've seen more "happy" families loose their shmidt doing cold hard time in the chain switchbacks on the way to Neverland, than just about anywhere else.

Indeed. Whatever Disney can do to improve the Peter Pan is an A+ in my book, especially if they can create something akin to Pooh's more interactive queue. And if the new bathrooms really are bigger inside than the old ones, it sounds like the net effect could be a significant upgrade for the way people experience this part of Fantasyland.

jt04

Nope. None that I've heard of. Alas Studios needs some serious help along with DAK.

No doubt work is needed at the other parks. But it is like the facades of FL are about 90% complete and it would be disappointing if they do not finish the task.

They really need to 'enclose' and better detail the courtyard as someone mentioned earlier.

Goofyernmost

Having seen the pictures posted by WDWmagic this is the first time that the restrooms, particularly that one, has really entered my consciousness. This is/was my immediate reaction. The restrooms are just generic restrooms. What else are they going to be. If one followed the timeline for the story, they would be outhouses, so for skipping that detail, I am grateful.

That said, I loved what they did with the area around it. What an improvement and I imagine a considerable expense to make that spot as nice as they did. Very well themed and it doesn't look like any major corners were cut. It tends to make me hope that maybe we are seeing a new thought pattern developing. By comparison to big attraction projects, they took an area that no one really would have cared what it looked like and PLUS'd it. Way exceeding my expectations. I love that waterfall. I love the fact that you can see HM from there. It was, although just a restroom, done with imagination, planning and way more expense then was necessary. My hope is that this is the start of a new vision of what WDW should be like.

This grouping here seems to concentrate on the small things and how they don't do them anymore (even me), but this is quite a few steps above what is necessary and was very, very well done. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is the beginning of good things.

djkidkaz

easywdw has photos of the area at night and also photos showing that Peter Pans restrooms are already closed, presumably for work to begin on the interactive queue over there.

All Disney All The Time

I just took a look at the photos; thank you WDWMagic. It appears that the detail is extensive and that previously unused space has been developed to open up Fantasy Land. Obviously restrooms are a necessity and it's nice that Disney didn't just put up a cinder block building with a coat of paint on it. I'll hold back on pondering whether or not Disney will further develop this area as I've been both delighted and dismayed over the years by some of their decisions. In the meantime, if some of the congestion that is always found in Fantasy Land is "relieved", that's a good thing.

Goofyernmost

Interactive queues are the wave of the future it seems. We enjoyed the one at Pooh on our last trip, and are looking forward to checking out the one at Big Thunder.
Yes, and it is time that all those "What would Walt think" need to read their history about him. Then they would know that he not only went with technology, but created a lot of it. Other than being incredibly old, he would, I think, feel that it was a normal plusing that fit with current times. Thing do not grow by being completely stagnant. Imagineers of today have a burden that Walt never did and that was knowing what Walt would do. I would guess that most of the "classic" attractions that we all worship so much would have hit the attraction graveyard years ago. I think that keeping classics as a kind of memorial to Walt, is fine and should be, but upgrading should never be a problem as long as the main idea is not lost. Interactive queue's are not taking away anything from the show, they are adding to it and bringing it up, at least in some way, to the world we currently live in.

Walt could have changed everything and no one would have uttered a word, but if today's creative people suggest changing anything that Walt ever touched, they might want to hope their life insurance is paid up.

All Disney All The Time

I think that it is fair to say that Walt Disney was "cutting edge" in just about everything that he did. Would he view interactive queues that way? I won't pretend to know. Technology exists today that Walt might have imagined and most certainly would have wanted, but had no way to access it.
I think it's also fair to say that he had no problem with "change". How many versions did the Mouse go through? And isn't it told that Walt was going to name him Mortimer until Mrs. Disney intervened?
I'll go out on the proverbial limb and offer the opinion that if Walt could come back today that Tomorrow Land would be gutted wholesale and that only Space Mountain would survive at anywhere near its current form.
Btw, we also loved the interactive queue at Haunted Mansion. Lots of fun.

lazyboy97o

Interactive queues are the wave of the future it seems. We enjoyed the one at Pooh on our last trip, and are looking forward to checking out the one at Big Thunder.
The stuff being added to the Magic Kingdom still pales in comparison to the epic, although mostly unused, queue at the Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom