Tangled Area Opening Date

themoose

I'd wager that the addition of a huge, cutting-edge e-ticket somewhere in the MK (TL?) would put
everyone completely at ease with Tangled bathrooms, etc. Happy, even.

I think you're right. If there were a massive attraction and the bathroom were a part of it, there would be no questions - probably just praise. But in this case, the facades of IASW and Peter Pan could have been brought up to par with the rest of the additions for the same price as an overly flashy bathroom.

Atomicmickey

I think you're right. If there were a massive attraction and the bathroom were a part of it, there would be no questions - probably just praise. But in this case, the facades of IASW and Peter Pan could have been brought up to par with the rest of the additions for the same price as an overly flashy bathroom.

Remember, the front of Peter Pan, the restrooms there, will be updated/changed into an interactive queue once these restrooms are open. I think, also, and this is just me, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the facades eventually got a facelift, as this re-imagining of Fantasyland continues. Maybe not for a year or two, but I think they'll continue to massage it until the whole land is coherent.

mgf

Since this is one of the fastest permanent character integrations (perhaps since Sleeping Beauty and Alice), is it possible that this was supported or covered by the studio's marketing budget? TDO didn't bet on Tangled with FLE, and the movie is not at blockbuster status - i.e. Mermaid; however, it is "good enough" to theme necessary park infrastructure.

It would make sense for TDO/WDI to start pitching mini-projects with near immediate marketing synergies, especially if someone else picks up the tab. Another example: Fans lamented the "rolling billboards", but what if that could support monorail improvements?

Either way this is above and beyond what a regional park would accomplish. Props to TDO for doing something they didn't have to do.

ExtinctJenn

Couldn't they have scaled back the budget of the restroom and plussed a queue instead? It is begining to look like the budget of this and the new HM queue are in the same ballpark.
The whole idea of this new restroom, as I understand it, is to take the current restroom space and make it an extended interactive queue for Pan. So in other words, you get both, not one or the other, in this case!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since this is one of the fastest permanent character integrations (perhaps since Sleeping Beauty and Alice), is it possible that this was supported or covered by the studio's marketing budget? TDO didn't bet on Tangled with FLE, and the movie is not at blockbuster status - i.e. Mermaid; however, it is "good enough" to theme necessary park infrastructure.

It would make sense for TDO/WDI to start pitching mini-projects with near immediate marketing synergies, especially if someone else picks up the tab. Another example: Fans lamented the "rolling billboards", but what if that could support monorail improvements?

Either way this is above and beyond what a regional park would accomplish. Props to TDO for doing something they didn't have to do.

I doubt Marketing would spend this kind of money in a case where the movie and the DVD are already released. Not enough to gain by it.

CountryBearFan

I don't think anyone can complain about what they are doing, but I think what you're seeing is
"e-ticket drought". The new Fantasyland is stunning to look at, but is missing that huge, wow,
amazing, envelope pushing ride that would tie it all together. Even the Dwarfs mine coaster isn't
going to be that.

I'd wager that the addition of a huge, cutting-edge e-ticket somewhere in the MK (TL?) would put
everyone completely at ease with Tangled bathrooms, etc. Happy, even.

1) Not everything has to be an E-Ticket. It gets irritating when people constantly over-demand new E-Tickets--it can't happen all the time and it's not possible to get E-Tickets every single year, so people need to stop that nasty habit.

2) When DL's New Fantasylad opened in the early 1980's, it did not have any new E-Ticket attractions either. The only "new" additions that were made to DL's Fantasyland at that time were Pinocchio's Daring Journey and the Village Haus Restaurant. All the others in that rehab were just updated versions of existing attractions (Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Alice, Dumbo, the Carousel and the Teacups).

janoimagine

2) When DL's New Fantasylad opened in the early 1980's, it did not have any new E-Ticket attractions either. The only "new" additions that were made to DL's Fantasyland at that time were Pinocchio's Daring Journey and the Village Haus Restaurant. All the others in that rehab were just updated versions of existing attractions (Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Alice, Dumbo, the Carousel and the Teacups).

I would take a rehab of Peter Pan and Small World but I don't see TDO spending the money.

djlaosc

1) Not everything has to be an E-Ticket. It gets irritating when people constantly over-demand new E-Tickets--it can't happen all the time and it's not possible to get E-Tickets every single year, so people need to stop that nasty habit.

1) Note, not all of the rides listed below may be thought of as E-tickets, but they will have been big projects for each park.

MK = Splash Mountain = 1992
Epcot = Mission:SPACE = 2003, Soarin' = 2005
DHS = Rock 'n' Roller Coaster = 2001 (TSMM does not count - I believe it's been said on here that it would be a D?, and that opened in 2008)
DAK = Expedition Everest = 2006

USF = Revenge of the Mummy = 2004, Transformers = 2013, HP2.0 = 2014/2015
IOA = IOA Opens (Hulk/Spiderman/JP/Dueling Dragons) = 1999, WWOHP = 2010, Seuss = 2014

SWO = Atlantis = 1998, Kraken = 2000, Manta = 2009, Antartica = 2013
BGTB = Kumba = 1993, Montu = 1996, Gwazi = 1999, SheiKra = 2005, Cheetah Hunt = 2011
DCO = Opened = 2001, The Grand Reef = 2010, Freshwater Oasis = 2012

TL = Crush 'n' Gusher = 2005
BB = Opened = 1995
AQF = Opened = 2008, Omaka Rocka = 2010

People are not asking for one E-Ticket per year, they are asking for one E-Ticket per park per decade, or even one E-Ticket per decade for the whole of WDW, which, by the time they build something, it will have been around a decade.

2) People would not be complaining about a lack of E-Ticket in the new FLE, if there was a new E-Ticket currently being built at ANY of the four parks.

menamechris

Chris Beatty talked today about how special it feels to see the first guests walking in and experiencing the New Fasntasyland. I wonder if the Imagineers working on the new restrooms will watch and feel the same way...

doctornick

Isn't this one of those details that we are always complaining that current management overlooks? Spending money to make small out of the way less important items look like they belong and were well thought out?

Agreed. I like the fact that the TDO is spending a lot of money to create an elaborate theme for just bathrooms. That's the kind of attention to detail that made Disney magical in the first place.

Now, would I want a could of e-tickets tossed in along with great bathrooms? Sure. But I wouldn't want to see TDO discouraged from doing this kind of amazing detail.

El Grupo

Some queue work, exterior updates and a bit more attention to existing attractions and Fantasyland should be in good order. Then, hopefully MK management will train their focus on a major refurb to TL that includes a new E-ticket (e.g. Tron). Toss in an additional E-ticket in Adventureland (e.g. Fire Mountain), which hasn't seen a major addition since 1973, and that park would be in great shape for the 50th anniversary.

CountryBearFan

I would take a rehab of Peter Pan and Small World but I don't see TDO spending the money.

How many times must you people be reminded that those kinds of decisions are not up to TDO? They're up to WDI!

I also must reitterate that TDO is nothing more than the name of a building, so quit using that term just to make yourselves look cool! It's irritating!

MerlinTheGoat

How many times must you people be reminded that those kinds of decisions are not up to TDO? They're up to WDI!
Wow. So you actually think the imagineering department makes the budgeting decisions and are responsible for park management. Granted I wish that were true sometimes in my wildest dreams. Just try imagining what Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, John Lasseter, and all the other creative people in Imagineering would cook up if let off the stiflingly short budget leash chained to the chairs of the corporates in power. Certainly we'd have parks in better condition and fresher than they currently are. But they don't have that power and are kept on a very short leash by the people in charge of all the financial aspects of the company.

Again, painting such myopic views of upper management is sinful and wrong! QUIT IT! :mad:
And we've got our trusted insiders Lee, Raven, Martin, '74, etc etc to paint the real picture. People with real connections in the Disney company that consistently provide accurate info on what's happening on a corporate or management level. They've made it blatantly clear that it's TDO and higher ups that are to blame. But from the latest reports from said insiders, sounds like even the Burbank fellows are becoming fed up with the Orlando team. That should say a lot about Orlando management when even their superiors are becoming angry.

And where do you stand in all this I wonder. I mean besides your comments being somewhat amusing, they betray a strange but very blatant aura of severe insecurity. Something I wouldn't expect out of your random Disney fan here who just chooses to see the glass as half full. The odd thing about you Is how you've taken PERSONAL offense at people's negative comments not even directed at you, but at corporate heads in the Disney company. As if you seem to think you're the one being singled out and insulted. Hm.

PhilharMagician

1) Note, not all of the rides listed below may be thought of as E-tickets, but they will have been big projects for each park.

MK = Splash Mountain = 1992
Epcot = Mission:SPACE = 2003, Soarin' = 2005, Test Track 1999
DHS = Rock 'n' Roller Coaster = 2001 (TSMM does not count - I believe it's been said on here that it would be a D?, and that opened in 2008), Tower of Terror = 1994
DAK = Expedition Everest = 2006, AK Opens = 1998 ( Kilimanjaro Safari/Countdown to Extinction) Kali River Rapids = 1999

USF = Revenge of the Mummy = 2004, Transformers = 2013, HP2.0 = 2014/2015
IOA = IOA Opens (Hulk/Spiderman/JP/Dueling Dragons) = 1999, WWOHP = 2010, Seuss = 2014

SWO = Atlantis = 1998, Kraken = 2000, Manta = 2009, Antartica = 2013
BGTB = Kumba = 1993, Montu = 1996, Gwazi = 1999, SheiKra = 2005, Cheetah Hunt = 2011
DCO = Opened = 2001, The Grand Reef = 2010, Freshwater Oasis = 2012

TL = Crush 'n' Gusher = 2005
BB = Opened = 1995
AQF = Opened = 2008, Omaka Rocka = 2010

I added a few

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't this one of those details that we are always complaining that current management overlooks? Spending money to make small out of the way less important items look like they belong and were well thought out?

There is lack of spending..
then there is spending poorly..
and then there is spending wisely..

Just throwing money around doesn't make it a good thing. Unless they have some magic they haven't revealed yet.. if this purely is just some restrooms.. this is getting to be a poster child for the misguided application of WDI's abilities. Focusing on the ornate details.. while missing the bigger goals.

It's like the old adage of the beautiful woman, who is a complete airhead. Great to look at, drives you wild at first, and then leaves you feeling devoid of true companionship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom