Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Any Age In Middle Of School Year

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Never Take Kids OUt Of School

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*MichelleP*

My DD is 7, and she has had perfect attendance in kindergarten and first grade (good thing they don't count partial days!:lol: Many times we head for WDW at noon on a Friday!). If I had to take her out, I would do it at the end of the year, but personally, I don't think I'd have her miss class for vacation.

wee-haggis

Original Poster
Originally posted by *MichelleP*
My DD is 7, and she has had perfect attendance in kindergarten and first grade (good thing they don't count partial days!:lol: Many times we head for WDW at noon on a Friday!). If I had to take her out, I would do it at the end of the year, but personally, I don't think I'd have her miss class for vacation.
Michelle,
I think you'll find that generally speaking ,the younger your kid is,the easier (and more likely) it would be for them to be taken out of school with no affect to their grades etc .
(Lets face it,JK and SK are really just advanced play groups with a learning factor thrown in......a week or two is not going to affect that). I can attest to that.
JMO

Katherine

I'm in Hgh School and if my parents took me out of school for more than 2 days I would be so behind. I would say depending on the child it's okay to take them out in elementary and most of Middle School, but once you hit High School it gets a lot tougher to get out of school. I know I would probably feel overwhelmed if I missed more than 3 days. just my advice.

wee-haggis

Original Poster
I agree with you Katherine.
As I said,the older you get the tougher (and less likely) you would stay off school

frazierle

I would agree the older they are the harder it will be to take them out. My kids are in second and pre-K, we've been taking them out for a week the last few years with no problems. We've always asked the teacher in advance (before the trip is finalized), and has always received the work that needs to be done before we leave on the trip. Gives them something to do on the ride to and from Disney. If a teacher indicated in the least bit she was not comfortable with it I would not take either of them out.

djmatthews

Up until my GCSE years (Last two years of Senior School / High School) I was always taken out of school, not in this case for quieter parks, but a cheaper holiday. This included my first WDW trip in May 97. I have to say, that was the best time to go in terms of attendance and weather.

olcom

note to wee-haggis..

hi,
just a note about kindergarten being ALL FUN... Coming from a first grade teacher, kindergarten is not just FUN anymore. Today children are learning to READ in kindergarten.... Things have changed.... I would love to go to Disney on "OFF TIMES", but I can't just take a leave of absence. The principal at my school WON"T let the children make up there work if it's due to a vacation.....:wave:

wee-haggis

Original Poster
Re: note to wee-haggis..

Originally posted by olcom
hi,
just a note about kindergarten being ALL FUN... Coming from a first grade teacher, kindergarten is not just FUN anymore. Today children are learning to READ in kindergarten.... Things have changed.... I would love to go to Disney on "OFF TIMES", but I can't just take a leave of absence. The principal at my school WON"T let the children make up there work if it's due to a vacation.....:wave:
Actually olcom,I did'nt say jk and sk were just "fun",I said it was an extention of play groups with a learning curve thrown in.
I realize that the kids are learning to read (among other things) at that age, but also I know from personal experience that it does not make much of a difference at all to the kid who is absent for a week or two(particularily if the teacher was to offer learning materials to take with you if he/she felt it was required).
There are differing opinions as to whether city or county school boards should have the authority to stop a child from leaving school for a vacation. I think it would be a very difficult policy to implement.
JMO

scorp111

I said take the young one out, just to make my MIL mad. As a former Teacher/School Admistrator.....it would just irk that her favorite SIL would say that....:lol:

Seriously though, a day or even two for little ones, I don't see the big deal. Especially if they have good attendance to that point. The only day I missed during my kindergarten year was when my dad took me to an opening day baseball game....

They even wrote that on the note.... the cool thing is how I still remember it, 25 years later....

disneyguru

As a teacher, I don't feel it is appropriate to take kids out of school for a week to go on vacation. What does this teach kids...that going on a family vacation is more important than being in school?? If people do this year after year, it sends a message to kids that school isn't as important as going on vacation. More and more, I see parents pulling their kids out of school for a week at a time to go on vacation, and even at the younger ages, the kids are missing out on learning.

As much as I love Disney World, when I have kids, I would never take them out of school to go on vacation. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

wee-haggis

Original Poster
Originally posted by disneyguru
As a teacher, I don't feel it is appropriate to take kids out of school for a week to go on vacation. What does this teach kids...that going on a family vacation is more important than being in school?? If people do this year after year, it sends a message to kids that school isn't as important as going on vacation. More and more, I see parents pulling their kids out of school for a week at a time to go on vacation, and even at the younger ages, the kids are missing out on learning.

As much as I love Disney World, when I have kids, I would never take them out of school to go on vacation. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
"Teach the kids that going on a family vacation is more important than being in school"...
We've talked to several teachers over the years and the ALL agree that the life experience of travel and being with their family is just as important as their school work.
Each of these teachers provided school work for the kids and we have never experienced any detrimental effects due to this.
High school is a different story ,of course due to work load.
Another important factor is that many parents do not have a choice as to when they can take their vacations and the costs associated with taking peak season vacations is beyond their pocketbook.
Perhaps you might rethink your situation if/when you have kids of your own.

BRER STITCH

Let me just say this.....

Those kids are only young once.
If you have the chance to take them to Disney World - or ANYWHERE- and spend good quality time with them, DO IT!!!

Children these days are rushed too quickly into adult-hood. Family IS more important. The text books, and indeed ALL learning, will continue for them throughout their entire lives.

Grab on to opportunities while they exist.

There is nothing anyone can teach them that week in school that is more important than the shared experience of a loving family.

HAVE FUN!

:)

tigsmom

I have taken my kids out of school to go to WDW in the middle of winter. Why? Because thats when my husband's vacation was. Its also nice to get away from the cold & snow of the Northeast.
The last winter trip we made during school was when Lil'mermaid was in sixth grade (she is just finishing 10th). She had a ton of homework she was responsible for and had to take her books with her. She had to keep a journal of her daily travels. She brought back pictures, postcards, etc to share with the class. She really only missed 3 days because we tried to go around President's Day or MLK, Jr's birthday. We really didn't like her to miss too much school.

Its harder now because she is older & there is just too much work to be done. We also have another child (just finishing 4th grade) and I really hate for them to miss school.

School administrators are really cracking down on what they term "unexcused absenceses", but not everyone gets the entire summer off.

Miss Bell

We took our daughter out of school for her 10th birthday, which coincided with the 100 Years of Magic. I'm a teacher, and while I wouldn't regularly let her miss school for vacation, the magic of celebrating her birthday at WDW was worth a couple of days off. (We did plan it around a long weekend and only missed a day and 1/2 of school.) I'd like to go for my birthday, but I think itis harder for me to get off school than her.

surfsupdon

My sister and I would always miss 2 or 3 days of school right before Easter Break. Teachers would not have a problem with it, and they would give us some work to do that we would do on the car ride down. The teachers were very helpful. That was K-6th grade.

When Middle School came in 7th grade, along with sports, we skimped our vacations a tad and only missed a day or 2. Again the teachers understood.

In HS, our coaches would not "allow" us to leave, and my parents would not either, being HS coaches themselves. Therefore, we vacationed between sporting seasons so we could not even miss a practice (I HATED that rule, lol). Anyway, we still managed going.

In college, we dont miss any classes b/c it always seems that you never have classes with the huge breaks randomly placed throughout the year.

I would not, however, take kids out of school for a full week. As a student, as much as I love Disney and vacations, I understand that everything has to be "made up" and I hate feeling "behind." Other kids would not see the effects of going and missing school, but I understood the workload afterwards, especially in HS. Therefore, elementary school is fine to miss I think, but it's trickier in the later school years.:xmas:

HMGhost13

my parents have been taking us since 1989/1990, in september about a month after school STARTED.

and when we joined the DVC, it just opened up different times during the year (went in september, december, January, and then May for the cruise).

my parents told us to get our homework from teacehrs and then we'd do it while we're there and the weekend we'd have when we got back.

ironically, we plan our trips a year at elast prior to the next school year is planned. and it happens that there is ALWAYS one day off from the local schools when we go :lol:

disneyisbest

I don't have any kids yet, but yes I would take them during school time. My parents did it with me and my brother near the end of a school year and it was worth it. I believe I would do the same.

cloudboy

I know of a family that ended up pulling their kids from school and then homeschooling them over an issue about taking a vacation during the school year.

My view is that a school is not the only place you learn stuff, and there is a whole world to explore out there. Is'nt the new trend to have kids learn more from experience than from reading a book, anyway? I think we may be hindered by a really backwards notion that learning is only done in a book and nothing in life is educational. Same thing goes for work - you go to an office to work, and that has to be 100% separate from, and more important than, the rest of your life.

I would take the kids out, although I would definitely be sure to do more than just Disney, for a more rounded experience. For the younger kids make sure they are watching and learning about the planes and the airport, and look at the different animals you see on the side of the road. Go to a (natural) park, and what do you find in Florida. For older kids I would definintly make them take something like one of the backstage tours, and make sure that they talk to different people - both guests and cast members. And get them involved in the planning process and give them responsibilities - those are the important skills that you need for work these days and they don't ever teach them in school!

Having said that, I wonder if the fact that Epcot is no longer as educational as it one was has been a factor in declining attendance, since fewer people justify taking their kids out of school for it.

Disney Hog

Luckily, our children are homeschooled, so it isn't an issue.

I don't think pulling children out of school is a big deal due to the fact that you are going to a learning place. By going to Epcot and Animal Kingdom, your children can have exposure to many exciting things that they probably wouldn't get at school. Don't schools take field trips anyway? Just consider it your personal field trip.

If you feel that your children will miss their education or get the wrong impression of the importance of education, take it upon yourself to make sure that they do their work and have learning experiences along the way. I can't think of a better place than Epcot or AK that can give your children "hands on" experience and exposure to science, biology, zoology and history.

Just my personal opinion:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom