• Any Age In Middle Of School Year

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Never Take Kids OUt Of School

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disney Hog

Originally posted by cloudboy
I know of a family that ended up pulling their kids from school and then homeschooling them over an issue about taking a vacation during the school year.

My view is that a school is not the only place you learn stuff, and there is a whole world to explore out there. Is'nt the new trend to have kids learn more from experience than from reading a book, anyway? I think we may be hindered by a really backwards notion that learning is only done in a book and nothing in life is educational. Same thing goes for work - you go to an office to work, and that has to be 100% separate from, and more important than, the rest of your life.

I would take the kids out, although I would definitely be sure to do more than just Disney, for a more rounded experience. For the younger kids make sure they are watching and learning about the planes and the airport, and look at the different animals you see on the side of the road. Go to a (natural) park, and what do you find in Florida. For older kids I would definintly make them take something like one of the backstage tours, and make sure that they talk to different people - both guests and cast members. And get them involved in the planning process and give them responsibilities - those are the important skills that you need for work these days and they don't ever teach them in school!

I totally agree!

This is why we homeschool our children. We like the hands on approach. When our children study the Civil War, we take trips to the different battle grounds. Before we went to San Antonio last year, we studied the history of the Alamo and Texas history. When we spent a day around the Alamo, it was a very impactful experience. Education through experience is more effective than just reading.

Don't depend solely on books or teachers to educate your children. Take it upon yourself to enrich your children's lives. Don't take them out of school to go sit in a hotel for a week.

Take them to the beach to see the starfish and shells. Take them to NASA to learn more about space exploration. Everything can be an educational and fun experience. As long as you educate during the trip, don't worry about the busy work they might miss in class.

Piebald

I think it depends on the age of your children and how the school is where you live. I live in FL and I just graduated but I had block scheduling. If you guys dont know what this is, it means I have 4 classes a semester (let's say...math,english,PE and horticulture) then the next semester we change (physics,peer counseling,OJT). Block scheduling pretty much means for everyday you miss of school you have to make up two school days (since each class is like two classes youre missing).......ah screw it. School was such a joke down here in Florida and I had the most horrible GPA and I still got into a really good college. I say take the kids out for a trip. They're kids! Just be careful cause after I missed 7 days one quarter I got a social worker sent to my house.... (I didn't open the door :fork: )
I think you'll be fine if your kids are young though. Ask the teacher what they will be doing and ask for any worksheets or anything and maybe you can go over them on the plane/car?

magical_mickey

My parents pulled me out of school when I was a senior in high school for our trip to Disney. I just got all of my work ahead of time and had no problems with catching up. I think the extra work was worth it! We went in 2003 for spring break with my 8 year old neice and we decided it was the worst thing to do. The crowds were so bad that she didn't even get to do everthing. Next time my sister is going to take her out of school so she can experience everything.

DisneyPhD

I think it really depends on the situation and the child. DD isn't in school yet, but we do plan to take her out until she gets too old too. Not sure when that will be Jr high or HS, wait and see. We will stop ealier if she isn't a good student or is struggling at all in school. It would also mater how the child themselves actually felt about it (if they were concerned about missing school and falling behind.)

With parents who really vaule knowalge and educaiton (DH is a college professer, I have 3 college degree, but sadly still cant' spell!) I highly doubt a week's vacation will make our kids think school doesn't matter.

We took my 12 year old niece out of middle school last year (early Jan she missed a half a week right at the start of the new year.) She is an wonderful student with no other absences, straight A's. I am friends with one of her teacher's who said it didn't effect her school performance in the least bit. Of course we laughed that while on this trip she was with 4 adults (and 2 pre-schoolers) all the adults had master's degrees or higher (some 2) and 2 were college professers. One (my friends husband) is histroy buff and was constanctly spewing facts and info. I think she learned much more then a week of school, and it was real quailty time with us. She had no problem making up her school work.

I don't know if we will take her again this March when we go. I would like to, but I think 2 years in a row is a bit much and she is getting older. We will see when the time get's closer.

BTW I voted for any age because I wasn't sure about the how the poll worked. I do think older kids it is more difficult, but I don't 100% rule it out, depends on the situation and how many days.

From middle school and up, it becomes much more difficult to take kids out of school. If my parents took me out of school for one day, I'd be really behind. But it's different for every kid.

cloudboy

I don't buy the argument that taking kids out of school teaches them that education is less importnat. In fact, if exploration and learning are actually encouraged by the parents, I think it teaches kids that learning is part of their lifes and not something they have to do for 12 years and then never do again. I think it also makes them more interested in learning, since learning is not just associated with a boring class.

We do have a bit of a problem up here, in that students now have to pass an MCAS test. This is even a big problem in schools because teachers have to spend so much time gettiing kids to memorize stuff for the test that they can really teach.

From middle school and up, it becomes much more difficult to take kids out of school. If my parents took me out of school for one day, I'd be really behind.

Oh, I managed to miss a few days here and there and not have any major negative effects. Major, anyway. : )

DisneyrazZ

as a future teacher...i believe it is okay to take a vacation during the school year as long as is does not last for too long...and also, as long as the parents discuss what is going to be happening with the teacher and ask for permission to do work before/during/after the vacation to stay caught up...i did this in college when i went to WDW for a week...just talked to all my teachers and they were very understanding...and this was in college....it also happened in 8th grade near the end of the year....right during exams...and my parents talked with the teachers and i was able to make my exams up...

so i really do not see a problem with taking kids out of school to go on vacation as long as they do not fall too far behind and the parents make an effort to keep their child caught up because teachers do not have time to go back and reteach for one child, but if there is a heads up, the teacher might be more sympathetic if the need arises... just my opinion though of course :D

-=DisneyrazZ=-

Nicole

As a parent who took my 14 and 16 y.o. kids out of school last year for a week at WDW, I have to say that I feel like there is no "right" answer. Some kids can miss class and be fine, others fall far behind. So much depends on the child, and the classes they are taking.

For us, because my dh is in the military and was deployed for a year, and because my 14 y.o. dd plays two sports, the only time we could go away last year was in Nov/Dec. I talked to the principal about our plans and he approved my kids' missing school so it was an excused absence.

However, I wouldn't do this every year. But as a general rule, if you take your kids out of school once or twice for a week during their high school years I don't think it will matter all that much in the long run. I'm going again to WDW right after school starts in August and NOT taking the kids, I can't justify that absence even to myself.

shari71

We absolutely hate vacationing in the summer. Too hot and crowded. You spend most of your time in line being miserable and listening to complaints. Our first trip was in March which was nice. Our second in July was miserable. Every year after that we have gone in the fall and love it. Our DD's are now 1 and 3 and we are not faced with these decisions yet. I have had a strong feeling that school should be year around with small breaks throughout the year. I know from my younger days that summer was a time to lose everything I learned. A week isn't going to hurt the kids as long as it is planned out. I am very involved in my girls lives. I am even now practicing letters, writing, counting, etc with my 3 year old and feel education should be fun and exciting, not dull. I had a lot of problems in my years causing me to have to have special tutoring. I was not taken out of school for vacations because of this. But I stuck with it and did graduate from college with my Bachelor of Science. My gut says we will take the girls out of school, but only as long as they are not struggling and make up their work. Even without teacher intervention, there will be a special project for each trip. If it is to explore particular species (like humans :) ) or different plants/flowers in the parks and resorts. It can be fun and educational.

Spending time with family is the most important thing. We all have limited time on earth and while you can still continue to learn, you may not always have the chance to spend time with a loved one.

Disneyfalcon

When I was young my parents took me out of school occasionally for family vacations. In no way did that teach me vacations are more important then school! It would be difficult to think 4 or 5 days away from school were more important then the 180 days you spend in it! It taught me that family time is very important, educational and worth the sacrifice of some extra homework!

That's just my opinion. I do take my kids out of school for Disney trips.

:)

Kwit35

I am 13 years older then my little brother. I (occationally) took him out of school for a 'dentist' appointment, so that we could spend the day at Disney, just the two of us. My mom knew about it and was okay with it. She was just happy we were spending quality time there. Some of my favorite trips were with my bro and his friend. I would set them loose, go where they wanted to go, and just saw the magic through their eyes.

pepsistar

:goodnevil Well, like everyone has said I think it really depends on the child when you get to high school and later-- Learning is so much more than books-- I think that is why more children are becoming home schooled.

However, The one "BIG" problem is that most of us do not have a choice of when to take our vacations-- :( Wouldn't it be great to have the whole summer off? Love it-- Ummm

IF you would still get paid. :lol I would just stay a little longer, to get everything done, "IF" I did not have to work in the summer. and got paid-- Oh What!! a dream-- :lookaroun :D

wdwguru

We live in a military area where kids missing school for vacation happen all the time. As long as it's not more than a week, everyone seems okay with it. The teachers even give us packs so the kids won't be behind when they return.

My DDs don't like to have to do homework on vacation, but they understand that's the trade off. I would prefer to not pull them out, but (a) they are straight A students and (b) if we only took vacation when they were out, we would rarely get to go. My DH is in the Navy and now gone until at least fall. We use our trips to bond us together before he leaves and make memories to lean on during these times.

I think if you go several times a year, don't take them out of school for each trip. One week out of the year should be doable if you as a parent are willing to help and have the cooperation of the teacher.

BuckyAcorn

My parents took me out of school for a week when I was in 8th grade. We had principal permission and everything (my principal was super cool). The only class I really got behind in was Algebra, but it didnt take me more than 2 or 3 days to catch back up. We went in September and there were literally no lines at all, and I say it was worth it because WDW really sucks in the summer with the heat and the lines.

wee-haggis

Original Poster
I can't speak for all of the cities and counties in the USA ,but here in Canada (and in my old country Scotland),its not up to the principal or teachers whether you take your kids out of school.
Sure,when we take them out we offer the courtesy of informing the school in advance of the pending vacation and (if required) request catch up work for the kids.
We ,as the parents,are (in a roundabout way)the teachers bosses(assuming they are in public school).
I know there are certain school boards that are pushing to give the school officials the right to determine whether the kids stay in school or allowed to vacation during schools terms, but I don't think it would stand a chance for the law to be passed.

BalooChicago

Like many others here I say that it depends on the kid and that a whole week is probably too much time. We've been to Disney as a family pretty much every other year... When I was in 7th grade my Parents took me out for three days before a three day weekend... It didn't impact my education at all. If I had been in High School, or it had been longer than a couple days, that probably would have been a different matter...

bhickman

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
Let me just say this.....

Those kids are only young once.
If you have the chance to take them to Disney World - or ANYWHERE- and spend good quality time with them, DO IT!!!

Children these days are rushed too quickly into adult-hood. Family IS more important. The text books, and indeed ALL learning, will continue for them throughout their entire lives.

Grab on to opportunities while they exist.

There is nothing anyone can teach them that week in school that is more important than the shared experience of a loving family.

HAVE FUN!

:)

I can't agree more with the idea of time is precious and "Grab on to opportunities while they exist".

My kids .. son 19 and daughter 16 have enjoyed school year vacations for several years now and have had few problems as a result of this. We notify the school and insist on catch-up for "missed assignments". Yes this does put pressure on the kids but they are personally given the choice before we plan. Furthermore contrary to concerns of misplaced values on education.. I believe it puts emphasis on family first.. Argue that!!! Besides if one week of missed assignments can't be caught up on and the student is lost I would question the validity of the teaching process... Are we learning principles & practice or simply memorizing... shooo sounds like a soap box!!! I better get down... :zipit:

We love our "anytime vacations".. Regardless the destination.. Our whole family remembers every one in detail... bet they can't say that about 8th grade Phys'ED.... <i><b>And I think that's Ok!!</b></i>

BTW: Our only exception is now that our son is in college we will be working around this, I have to concede to this point..

marksniles

Originally posted by disneyguru
As a teacher, I don't feel it is appropriate to take kids out of school for a week to go on vacation. What does this teach kids...that going on a family vacation is more important than being in school?? If people do this year after year, it sends a message to kids that school isn't as important as going on vacation. More and more, I see parents pulling their kids out of school for a week at a time to go on vacation, and even at the younger ages, the kids are missing out on learning.

As much as I love Disney World, when I have kids, I would never take them out of school to go on vacation. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Being a teacher I totally agree with you. This year alone I had at least 5 students go on vacation. Many of these students were special education students who really needed to benefit from being in the classroom at all times to receive instruction. Nothing substitutes the real experience from being in a classroom. I'm a science teacher and parents want me to send stuff home for them to do on the trip down. How can I send home hands-on experiments? I've had two students this year come back from 2 week vacations (oh I teach 6th grade science) and they were totally lost and they could never catch up and as a result are failing for the quarter. This is even with one on one help from me. They still couldn't "get it."

I agree that parents who take their children out of school (and I don't care what grade level it is) is sending a message to their children that school is secondary in their life. School is not important and that they can skip it to go ride Space Mountain.

At least in my school district, the school calendars are given to parents a full year in advance. Schools have built in vacations. PARENTS - build yours vacations around your child's vacations. I know that this might sometimes be hard to do but please see the importance of keeping your child in the classroom. Finishing a bunch of papers in the car or on the plane is no substitute for the really learning that takes place when a child is actively engaged in the classroom.

marksniles

Originally posted by wee-haggis
IWe ,as the parents,are (in a roundabout way)the teachers bosses(assuming they are in public school).

Sorry but I think NOT!!!!!! You pay to go the doctors. Are you their boss. You pay taxes so when a cop stops you for speeding you can say "Sorry I'm your boss so I don't deserve a ticket." I think NOT! What happen to the days when teachers were respected for what they did. We're shaping the mind of the people who are going to be running this country when you are old and gray. Tell me a more important job than that. From my experience, some parents need to have the teacher be their bosses because they don't know how to raise their kids. Get away from that mentally that you own us and start thinking as a team player. You have to work together to raise that child to become a productive member of this society. Instill in them the importance of an education and work with their teacher instead of bossing them around.

Spoonfulofsugar

Wow! I have to say that this really caught my attention for several reasons. I, too, am a teacher and am one of those teachers that work well with the school time vacation. However, there are a couple of things I felt compelled to share. As for thinking Elementary school is an easy time to go, I disagree. In LA, our kids have a test to take in 4th grade that determine if the child is promoted!

I believe that the kids learn more in "real life" than in my room a great deal of the time. I always say that life experiences complimented with formal instruction lies the greatest foundations. With this in mind, there are times in the year that are better than others. Even when I "project" what will take place when the child is gone, it is only an estimate. A great deal of the time, discussions go one way or another or surprise learning opportunities arise-you can't get those back for absent kids (regardless of reason).

I would not suggest taking a child out of school before the child was in school for about 2 months (more than anything this is because it takes kids this long to learn routines, expectations, etc.), and I would definitely not take them out between Christmas and spring testing-no matter the grade or age. As someone stated, things are not like they used to be-there is a great deal riding on kids' tests-like it or not.

I personally LIKE to see kids get a "reward" right after testing or right before the holidays (for no more than 3 days, if possible).

Finally, as for the "whole summer" off-that is a joke. I got off the last Friday in May, reported to work again on Memorial Day for Summer school, and have three mandated workshops to attend in July. I also have to report back to work on Aug. 11. This doesn't count the countless days of preparing the room for school.

I work two jobs over the summer to supplement my income, and I still only make 40,000 (with ten years experience and a Master's degree). I also still live in an apt. because I can't afford to buy a house. I knew about the salary and chose this profession because I would do it even if I could do anything else...I just get frustrated when people try to make teachers' jobs look easy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom