• Any Age In Middle Of School Year

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Never Take Kids OUt Of School

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MKBurn15

Originally posted by stitch62678
Well...during my sophomore year of high school...the band took a trip to Jacksonville...There was a thought of maybe going to Disney while we were down there...of course...they said it would cost too much...but we raised more than enough money...

Now that I'm going into my Senior year of high school...I have just learned that the next band trip is planned for AFTER I GRADUATE!!!!!!! Oh well...I guess I will just come back and help out on the trip...only if it involves going to Florida...
Nice.

wdwlover

I am a parent of a K and 3rd grader. I truly believe that school is their #1 priority and mine to support them. However, I will be taking my children out of school for a week later this year. I will plan ahead with the teachers - and own the responsibility of making sure they are caught up.
I am fortunate that my children go to a small private school and the teachers will work with the parents. Parents don't try to abuse this - but sometimes you have to make a decision that works for the family.

I look forward to the happy times we will share as a family - and look forward to the learning experiences they will get from this trip.

I plan on using every opportunity to reinforce their education (eg. giving them their own disney dollars and having them budget their own spending)

So I am sure the posts will continue - but it comes down to there really is no one right answer.

Lilmama21

I'm a person that puts more merit on life lessons rather than 'book learning.' Going to WDW last month was my daughter's first family vacation that was longer than 2 days. My mother, daughter and I took two days to drive down, spend a few days at WDW, a couple days at Clearwater and than a couple days to drive back up.

Yes my daughter missed a week of school but I believe it was well worth it. Her teacher sent a note home saying that it was nice to see her back in class with a nice tan and that she was actually ahead of the class because they had reviewed while she was gone. And in all honesty, we didn't spend all that much time on her school work while on vacation. Probably a total of 6 hours but the family time, real life time and fun time was all worth it.

I think that as long as parents don't pull children out during 'critical' times (testing, lots of new material being presented) and are tuned into how well their child is doing, there is no problem with it.

Gagesmom314

Interesting enough my mother is a teacher and just let me know that on average every school has about 180 days that can be used for vacation without taking the children out of school. You can even hit every season. Thanksgiving for the fall. Christmas break for the winter. Spring break for the spring and summer vacation for the summer. If it does indeed come down to the family time that is important there is quite a bit of time in 180 days off each year. Plan a weekend trip somewhere close to home for that quality time. Now that school is out here we will be enjoying our trip to WDW in 4 days.

Plus think of how much more enjoyable a vacation would be without having to worry about your child doing the make up work. Vacations are expensive enough without paying the price of your child's education.

JBSLJames

My oldest daughter is yet to miss a day of school and she would be against breaking that string. I would not take them out of school unless it was for a death in the family.

We are heading to WDW in November. The school district we are in gives all of Thanksgiving week off for vacation and we will be at WDW at that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom