• Any Age In Middle Of School Year

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Never Take Kids OUt Of School

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debbie

Originally posted by wee-haggis
Sounds like a sensible approach Debbie..
Hope you have a great time at Xmas

Just thinking about the possibility of my boys seeing WDW again makes me smile ear to ear. Heck, just talking about this, makes me want to start packing and put the beer on ice!

wee-haggis

Original Poster
" In the school system in our town kids can't make up the work if they are pulled out for a vacation."

Sorry but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why can't they make up the work? They have afternoons, evenings and week-ends to catch up. If the family as a whole agree to put in the effort to make sure the school work is done properly so they can go on a relaxing family vacation, what is the problem?
Some people just like to make life as difficult as possible.

Education is very important especially now however a happy, well adjusted family life is the most important thing not only for the kids but for society as a whole.

bigfatdonna

Yes, it all depends on the child. My son had a very structured Kindergarten class this year. They had a lot of work to do during the day and sometimes as many as 3 homework assignments at night. His reading absolutely blows our minds. We have taken him out of school, a day here and there, all through the year for Disney trips. I usually tentatively schedule them toward the end of a 9 week period. This is because if he's missed a lot of school due to illness, etc., I will cancel the trip. If not, we go and have a blast. My son will NOT remember "Perfect Attendance" ribbons from 1st grade. I can't see him pulling out that ribbon in years to come and reflecting on just what that meant to him. I CAN see him pulling out photos and mementos of our trips and reliving the beautiful family experiences we've shared.

We spend a LOT of time working with our son at home during the school year. We even buy extra workbooks to work on at home. He knows how important school is. He also knows that if his grades lag in ANY way, our short Disney excursions will be no more. As long as he keeps his grades up, I use this as a reward of sorts. Consequently, 11 children out of the ENTIRE Kindergarten (160 children), tested at the highest reading level and my son was one of them!! Monitor your children's progress and use YOUR best judgement, parents! As long as we are very involved with our children and their schooling, WE are the ones who usually know what's best for our children.:wave:

Heyyall

My parents have taken my sister and i out of school every yeah from kindergarten, all the way through high school for about 7 days of school. We're both pretty good students, and might have had a little catching up to do when we got back, but we got all of our homework, were responsible about doing it, and din't have much of a problem. It really depends on the child though- but we've always done it, and have never had a problem.

Laura

Premium Member
I used to be taken out of school about 2 weeks a year for vacations. It never really affected my grades any and only took me about a week to get totally caught up.

Frees Fan

We always came down to the World during Easter break so no school was missed. Plus the weather is really nice here that time of year.

surfsupdon

A lot of comments have been made about the negative lesson learned for pulling kids out of school for vacations. Though I agree about missing more than a full week of school may be, at most, annoying for the child to make up the work, it should be remembered that education is a family effort. If parents teach their children, practice with them, check homework, and help study--especially during the make up work--it is easy for a child to miss some school days for vacations. And, again, a lot of it depends on the child as well.

I loved missing the last few days of school before a vacation. And I remember times doing homework in the car ride down, having my parents help out and teach me the stuff. It was helpful.

I will say it gets harder and harder to pull out of school the higher the grade number.

I'm not going to lie though, I wish we could ahve traveled during slow times, instead of when the crowds are in. But every single vacation we were fortunate to have, and always always have a wonderful time! Each vacation is the "best one ever!"

stitch62678

This past December...My family planned a trip to Disney World which required me to be taken out of school. I didn't care because I would be able to miss school. So to make sure that I didn't miss too much, I asked my teachers what they had planned for the time that I was gone...that enabled me to know what I would be coming back to. I know that this really isn't all on the subject...but that I what I did to make sure that I didn't miss too much work and fail...

Although...this coming school year being my senior year...I just hope that maybe there isn't too much work...because I think we are planning a December trip again...

sunflowergirl

Kids out of school

Originally posted by disneyguru
As a teacher, I don't feel it is appropriate to take kids out of school for a week to go on vacation. What does this teach kids...that going on a family vacation is more important than being in school?? If people do this year after year, it sends a message to kids that school isn't as important as going on vacation. More and more, I see parents pulling their kids out of school for a week at a time to go on vacation, and even at the younger ages, the kids are missing out on learning.

As much as I love Disney World, when I have kids, I would never take them out of school to go on vacation. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

While I wouldn't ever take my kids out for an entire week, I would for a few days if I felt that timing was right and the benefits were worth it. The good of the family unit weighs more heavily than a missed day or two from school.

nmj91385

I just graduated on Fri. and I have missed at least 5 days every year for WDW and have never had a problem. As long as you talk to your teachers ahead of time you are fine. I try to get as much of it done before I leave so I have little to do when I get back. Teachers are always very nice and accomadating.

cloudboy

I guess I was brought up to value education more than a vacation.

That is EXACTLY the type of thing I am commenting against. Why does everyone think that School is the only place people learn, and vacation means mindlessness? I guess I am upset over this because in our state we have implemented the high stakes testing bit, where you need to pass tests in order to graduate.

There is some big debate over this now. In a lot of cases kids are now just dropping out of school because they won't graduate, and they are having a harder time getting into college (apparently the colleges are looking for a more rounded education). Another problem that I have seen in my now rather wandering work career is that a lot of the graduateds have no idea how to learn basic business skills. They can pass a test just fine - give them a set of instructions to follow, and they they are golden. But they havn't learned to figure things out. They also seem unable to deal with simple business skills such as striking up a conversation with someone, organization, or planning. Some big things are getting missed. This may partly be the fault of Colleges, but that type of stuff needs to start in the lower levels.

OK, off my soap box and onto topic again...

I agree that something like taking your kids out of school requires invovlement and planning from both the parents and teh teachers. I think that you have to look beyond jut the blatant educational opportunites such as Epcot, however. GEt the kids involved with planning the trip - give them a budget and a day that they have to plan out. They can figure out the meals and how much time they get to spend on each attraction. Depending on the age, let them figure out what to do when things go wrong.

What about at the airport? teach them about aerodynamics and then when you are waiting for the plane to board, start trying to identify the different partss and watch the ground crew. Venture to diferent gates and look at the different kinds of planes. And when you get off the plane, take a little extra time to get off at the end and go up and talk with the pilots. They love showing off their planes, and the kids can see what all that stuff is about.

Gagesmom314

99% of parents that take their child out of school for a Disney vacation are not going to spend the time in an airport to teach the child areodynamics. They aren't going to take the educational aspect to the vacation.

The state of our school system is in a huge mess anyway. We should really look at a system like they have in Japan. After middle school type ages if you dont test high enough to continue on you go to tech schools.

Of course we wouldn't have to worry about any of that if we just assigned work and had no classroom instruction so that parents could take their kids on vacation whenever they want. :animwink:

wdwguru

I can't believe how heated this thread has become.

Teachers I respect you, your jobs and what you are saying, however, there are more important things in life than just the education you provide. I can't speak for everyone who pulls my kids out for vacation, but it's not about "vacation" it's about time spent with my family. That IS the most important thing. Not Space Mountain or a book report.

Yes, the schools build in a lot of vacation time. Not everyone runs on a school schedule. My husband can't say to our government, oh I'm sorry I can't deploy because I have to wait to take my kids out of school to spend time with them. Of the five months of this year my husband has been home for 3 of them and not all at once. He will bee gone at least another 3 if not more.

If September 11th taught us nothing else, it taught us to seize the precious moments we have with our loved ones, because we have no guarantees that there will be more.

Stop arguing everyone. If parents make the decision to take the kids out, then they and the children should be willing to live with those consequences. Teachers, sorry if it makes your job more difficult, but you know in the business world, it's difficult when people take vacation regardless of the time of year. And in the military world, you grab the moments while you can. I'm not sorry for any time we spend together as a family, because we never know if this could be our last trip as a whole family.

I don't mean to sound preachy, but this whole thing seems to have gotten out of hand.

cloudboy

don't mean to sound preachy, but this whole thing seems to have gotten out of hand.

You are right. Education is something that tends to get people all riled up, and we all have opinions on it. I will stop now. I am sorry everyone for carrying on.

MKBurn15

I think we should be able to get out for vacation. Our school used to end June 6. Then it was June 16. Then June 18. Then June 23! What is the POINT!? We finish all of our finals by the 9th!! What is LEFT to DO?! THey should take us all to WDW for the last week!

stitch62678

Originally posted by MKBurn15
I think we should be able to get out for vacation. Our school used to end June 6. Then it was June 16. Then June 18. Then June 23! What is the POINT!? We finish all of our finals by the 9th!! What is LEFT to DO?! THey should take us all to WDW for the last week!

I wish our school would do that...too bad we're in the middle of the USA...and our school is too cheap to do that...

stitch62678

Originally posted by MKBurn15
Ha! We're freaking poor!

Our school was so cheap that one year they bought completely new IMAC's for the school but would only let the teachers use them...and they kept them stored away so no one knew where they were...They would rather do that than put in an AC system...but thank goodness they did the next year....but STILL...IS ONE TRIP TO WDW TOO MUCH TO ASK!!!!

MKBurn15

Well who knows? I'm in the ninth grade chorus next year and we'll be the last ninth grade, so maybe they'll take us to disney world for some reason. :sohappy: I can only dream.

stitch62678

Well...during my sophomore year of high school...the band took a trip to Jacksonville...There was a thought of maybe going to Disney while we were down there...of course...they said it would cost too much...but we raised more than enough money...

Now that I'm going into my Senior year of high school...I have just learned that the next band trip is planned for AFTER I GRADUATE!!!!!!! Oh well...I guess I will just come back and help out on the trip...only if it involves going to Florida...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom