Taking first timers to WDW.

cowanfamily

Original Poster
I'm taking my sister and her family for the first time to the WDW. The 4 of them have never been on a trip before. I have built this trip up for 10 months. I want to start the trip off with a bang. Any suggestions on what to do the first day we are there. The kids are in their teens.

bgraham34

Well you have to goto the Magic Kingdom the first day that is for sure. Personally if you can get up early enough go and see the opening ceremony that is a great start. Don't forget the First Timer buttons as well. Personally i like to get them at City Hall.

BigRedDad

It really depends on what they enjoy. If the kids are teenagers, then DHS would probably be best because of the more enjoyable thrill rides, allbeit only 2. Its far too difficult to tell without knowing the people going. Since it is so late in their life, in general, it is going to be a completely different experience than going with a family that has 2 kids that are between 3 and 10.

DisneyDreamer08

Personally, I do not go to the parks on my arrival day. For me, I like to experience the opening show, and then the made dash (or quick walk as it is now) to my favorite attraction. On the first full day of our last trip, my husband and I started off at Animal Kingdom. We were there early to see the show, and then immediately went off to Everest. We ended up being in the first seat, on the first ride of the day. For me, it was the absolute perfect start to our vacation!

Usually on arrival day, we check out the resort, eat in the restaurant there (if applicable) and sometimes go to Downtown Disney.

Since your sister and family are first timers, I would suggest making Magic Kingdom your first park of the trip. If your nephews/neices are into thrill rides, start with Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain, then head over and grab a fast pass for Space Mountain.

Just my thoughts anyway! :shrug:

Oh and have a great time!! :D

cblodg

For me, it doesn't matter how old someone is as everyone gets that little kid feeling in them when they round the hub on MSUSA and see the castle. I think your first full-day should be at MK. They have to walk down MS and see the castle.

If you're arriving, consider going to DTD or walking around your resort (if on site) and just wind down. Travel days, for me anyways, are always about getting there and the rush to do so. I just enjoy relaxing after I'm in the world

Yensid40

Its interesting.

A few posters have said go to MK first. That has always been my stance, WDW for the first time and not go to MK? Are you nuts?!

I read on another site that going to MK first might be a bad idea because now they will have the expectation that everything will be like that when in reality its not. I am not sure I agree with this, but its an interesting thing to think about.

That being said, I am taking my 5 year old niece this April for the first time and the first park will be MK with a B-line to Dumbo. :lookaroun What can I say... I am a sucker.

DisneyPrincess5

How fun for them!

I'd say take them to MK first, so they can experience the classic magic of Walt Disney World! Then again, I'm biased because it's my favorite park.

rsoxguy

Ditto on the MK. If you are staying at a resort, make sure to get them on the monorail (instead of, or in addition to, the buses).

swimmom

We took my 79 year old MIL a few years ago on her first trip and MK was our first stop after checking into WL. Her first glimpse of the castle will be remembered by all of us forever. I don't think the age matters. That iconic castle is what so many people associate with WDW. Then to end the evening with dinner and then Wishes is a great start to your families vacation. The other parks were not a letdown for my MIL, she continued to be amazed and in awe about the rest of the World!!!

cowanfamily

Original Poster
The kids are ages 15 and 16. We are staying at the Beach Club Resort. We are on the DDP. We are staying for 7 days. That was about the longest I could pry them away for.

WDWmazprty

The kids are ages 15 and 16. We are staying at the Beach Club Resort. We are on the DDP. We are staying for 7 days. That was about the longest I could pry them away for.

Yeah, in that case I would definitely go to the MK and make a ressie at Crystal Palace for a great character breakfast and start the day off right. Then you can head over to Adventureland and Frontierland to go on the classics POTC, Splash and BTMRR.

sueuk

If you are arriving late, I think a swim in Stormalong Bay and and a look round the resort will be great - they should love the BC and the whole area - loads for teens to do independantly. If you arrive for a day in the parks, then it's another vote for MK- the Mountains; and Pecos Bills for lunch!!

drp4video

I love taking first timers to WDW. IT's like getting to see the park for the first time through their eyes. Very exciting. Everyone has already made some great suggestions, so I will just add to have a wonderful time.

cblodg

Oh the BC is a nice spot. They can spend some time at Storm Along Bay. also, they can check on their room packet and see what movie will be playing that night on the beach. For us, it was HSM3 when we were there. It was kinda nice watching a movie outdoors.

Still, MK is the place to start off your trip. I wouldn't go the same day you land though. Take some time to explore the grounds of the BC/YC and maybe stroll over to the BW. Then be refreshed and ready to go for that first day MK feeling!

JenniferK2

What we did on our last trip (and might work especially well for you because of where you are staying) is go to Epcot on our arrival night. We entered World Showcase from the international gateway. Checked out the countries, had dinner at Teppan Edo and then watched Illuminations. It worked so well that we were going to do it again this coming September, but our arrival will be too late in the day so we are going to just have dinner and hang out at our resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom