take several pairs of shoes

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Sometimes, even well broken in shoes will completely fit wrong for all day walking. This can be 10x worse if you have to wear them again the next day. One trip, I wore the same shoes I wear everyday and had for a couple months. For our first day of walking, though, they weren't supporting my ankles enough and I ended up with a swollen foot. Sadly, I had no other shoes. I seriously contemplated walking around barefoot. I ended up buying overpriced flipflops to ease the pressure on the swelling.

Now, I always take alt. shoes. For my upcoming trip, I will be taking my Shape Ups, regular walking shoes and flip flops.

kirstenoel

Definitely a good tip - although last time I went I wore flip flops for the first 2 days and by the 3rd morning my calf muscles were so tight I could hardly walk! haha never good! So yeah trainers are definitely a good idea!!!

drossjr

I usually carry a pair of sandels in my back sack around with me, yeah it adds extra wait but I learned a hard lesson in July 2007. Was at AK and got one of those heavy summer downpours, I was wearing sneakers with socks and the place got flooded and my shoes got drenched add that to the wicked humid weather that seems 10 times worse at AK and I was hurting big time, wound up having to buy overpriced sandals and my feet were wrecked for the rest of the trip

Tomi-Rocket

crocs....

I was reading an article recently that was about how bad flat flip-flops are for feet and something they mentioned was people getting "Disney Foot" from wearing flat flip-flops for a long day of walking. It creates fallen arches, swollen feet or ankles, problems with shins and knees. It went on to list flip-flops that were good if you wear them on a consistent basis. But if you wear them occasionally then Crocs were a brand mentioned as good to wear. Which just reinforced something I already knew. I bought Crocs for our second family trip to WDW and absolutely loved them! I had no aches in my knees or my lower back which I usually get when I would walk for long periods of time. For our last trip I made sure everybody had a pair and guess what? No problems. I did get a couple of blisters but I got them worse the first time we went and I wore sneakers exclusively. Plus, a couple of band-aids and I was fine. On the plus side they also have a lot more styles than they used to. My DH and DS#1 had ones that look like regular sandals and mine look like ballerina flats. You also don't have to worry about them getting wet either. I will always take Crocs for all of us on our future trips to WDW. :)

zurgandfriend

I bring two broken in but not too broken in pairs on sneakers make model color of choice and I change socks when I go back to my resort, take it from an old infantryman you have to keep your feet dry.

I usually bring one pair of rugged sandals that I end up wearing all day and then an extra pair of tennis shoes just in case.

Never wear shoes that you haven't broken in. I insisted on it once when I was 11 and had just bought new shoes. My feet were pretty bad by the end of that day.

ann0d

I was reading an article recently that was about how bad flat flip-flops are for feet and something they mentioned was people getting "Disney Foot" from wearing flat flip-flops for a long day of walking. It creates fallen arches, swollen feet or ankles, problems with shins and knees. It went on to list flip-flops that were good if you wear them on a consistent basis. But if you wear them occasionally then Crocs were a brand mentioned as good to wear. Which just reinforced something I already knew. I bought Crocs for our second family trip to WDW and absolutely loved them! I had no aches in my knees or my lower back which I usually get when I would walk for long periods of time. For our last trip I made sure everybody had a pair and guess what? No problems. I did get a couple of blisters but I got them worse the first time we went and I wore sneakers exclusively. Plus, a couple of band-aids and I was fine. On the plus side they also have a lot more styles than they used to. My DH and DS#1 had ones that look like regular sandals and mine look like ballerina flats. You also don't have to worry about them getting wet either. I will always take Crocs for all of us on our future trips to WDW. :)

Definetely CROCS for me. I take two pair just in case. I've had one pair for years and with a little Croc butter now and then, they look brand new. I know tons of people hate them, but for walking all day, they are the best. DH AND DS also have them and we I never got blisters either. :sohappy:

ddbowdoin

yes, I learned my lesson this past May. I brought down two pairs of Sperry Top Siders (one leather, one fabric sneaker)... no socks, plus walking all day = disaster!

BwayBaby

While I don't always bring a change of shoes, I always bring a change of socks with me in the parks. That's normally enough to keep my feet from getting too swollen.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wear the following shoes...

In the parks:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4689709330_d484edc5f4.jpg
In the water parks:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wwZBQxKQL._AA260_.jpg
In the evening at Downtown Disney/CityWalk:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4689087121_da76c68a6d.jpg
(without taps, of course)
At ESPN Wide World of Sports:
http://sneakers.pair.com/l/keds9.jpg

Wow, Kermit...the other boys don't tease you for wearing those shoes? :lol:

Purple413

One time my husband was wearing those sandals with the velcro and the strap got stuck in a door and tore the strap right off. He had to walk around the rest of the day with an awkward shoe... Extra shoes are a must!

adamneely

My shoe choices have changed alot as I go to disney. It may just be my young crispyness but I wear flip-flops alot, rainbow sandals (great form fitting leather sandals) and Toms shoes (www.tomsshoes.com). Because we normally take breaks in teh afternoon my feet are given a break and i've never gotten blisters or anything while walking around. Also, my feet are hard as rocks anyway because of my barefooted nature in the summer, so that may have something to do with it.

mickeysshoes

I have nerve problems in both of my feet...and ALL i wear are crocs..I am now waiting on a box to come with 4 new pairs just for our trip. I have not had any issue with them and my foot doctor is the one who told me they are best thing for me to wear (he is a disney fan also) and that is what he wears on days he is in surgery. Trust me I know..your entire body hurts when your feet hurt...and my feet go way beyound your normal "My dogs are barking" as my family says after a long day of walking the parks.

stlbobby

It's always best to alternate shoes if you can. It keeps your feet from wearing in the same place day after day.

Another great idea is to take a piece of moleskin and pre-cut it into several pieces and carry them with you. Then if you get a hotspot or the start of blister you can slap it right on and keep it from getting out of control. Rather than wait until the end of the day when it may be too late.

SaskDisneyGirl

I like crocs as well, but be sure to spend the money and buy the authentic ones. I saw a really cute pair of camoflague ones at an accesories store for $10. Boy was I glad I brought other shoes cause after an hour of walking in the "cute knock offs" me feet were killing me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom