Take it easy. Slow down. Breathe.

wizards8507

Original Poster
I've seen a ton of people on these boards posting their trip itineraries, whether they're looking for ADR comments, park hours information, or just general approval from the other members here. I'm astonished at the number of people who book 7- or even 10-day vacations with itineraries the include parks from open to close on each and every day, often including things like Extra Magic Hours, Park Hopping, or Park Hopping to do multiple Extra Magic Hours on the same day.

I can't be the only one who finds a pace like that to be unsustainable, right? Itineraries like that are why you see little children (and their mothers) absolutely broken down by Day 5 of the trip. I'm interested to hear from people who plan like that with their rationale for doing so. For comparison, my 7-day upcoming trip looks like this:

Day 1 - Arrive, check-in, table service dinner
Day 2 - Epcot 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, table service dinner
Day 3 - Hollywood Studios 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM, Fantasmic!
Day 4 - 10:00 breakfast buffet, Day off, Pool/Shopping, 9:10 table service dinner
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, table service dinner
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom 9:00 AM, table service lunch 2:00 PM, Nap, Return 8:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Day 7 - Epcot 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM, table service dinner, Cirque du Soleil

switts

I do feel that after reading some of the plans that if it was me id have a heart attack going at that pace and stuck in one park all day. I am a big fan of getting up early and arriving in park as early as possible and getting a few of the main things i want to do done. Then sometime in the afternoon head back to the hotel rest up for a little bit then hit another park that night. I have done the one park a day and i find that it is less enjoyable.

mickeysshoes

We used to do vactions in a manner that we would need a vacation from our vacation....NOT anymore. We make the middle of the week our NON park day...I do laundry then we hit a movie and shoping in DD!! NO more comando for us.

wizards8507

Original Poster
I do feel that after reading some of the plans that if it was me id have a heart attack going at that pace and stuck in one park all day. I am a big fan of getting up early and arriving in park as early as possible and getting a few of the main things i want to do done. Then sometime in the afternoon head back to the hotel rest up for a little bit then hit another park that night. I have done the one park a day and i find that it is less enjoyable.

Yeah I didn't mean that Park Hopping per se is the exhausting part. When you take a break in between, like you mentioned, its doable and that's where the value of the hopper comes in. But to do morning EMH at Animal Kingdom, for example, then hop to Epcot for evening EMH as soon as AK closes seems like murder.

muse1983

The last time we were in WDW we went for 2 weeks and literally every single day we were up at 7:30am and at the parks until closing (counting Universal) I never once felt exhausted..it was to much fun!

WDWmazprty

Yeah, it depends on what your goal is while you're there. We have 2 girls and of course they are up at the crack of dawn and ready to go. I feel like that as well though; I also dont feel exahusted, I think its all the excitement that helps me get through. =)

draybook

We're up around 6am each day and we don't leave the park until closing. We also plan to go to the park that's open the latest. We go in September so it's not that busy and we get a TON of things done.

Our kids are 11 and 10 and they are troopers. They refuse to leave the parks so it's not like we're forcing them to do it.

sbkline

I can't speak for others, but speaking for myself, when posting my itinerary, I don't always specify that there is a midday break in there. For example, on our upcoming trip, I have down that on one day, we are doing morning EMH at Magic Kingdom, and MK all day and night with supper at Crystal Palace. Although I might not specifically list it, there is a midday nap/pool break in there. I just find it a little tedious, for every single day, to keep mentioning "back to the hotel for nap/pool break". So I just kind of leave that part out sometimes when posting it here.

We always arrive on Monday and I like to make Saturday and Sunday our "break" days away from the parks. This year, we are doing GatorLand and the Florida Mall on Saturday and then supper at Chef Mickey's and then whatever else we may feel like doing. Sunday, we are going to the ocean, then later that evening, supper at 1900 Park Fare, and then whatever else we feel like doing.

When we first started going to WDW, and stayed off property in Kissimmee we would do the parks from open to close (or almost close) and I had a blast, but it wore my wife out. But that was in the days when we had no kids and we were about 15 minutes or more off property, so it was impractical to run all the way back into Kissimmee midday and then head back out later. But now, we stay on property and we have kids now, so I can't imagine not taking advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the resort a little.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have done it both ways. Typically our trips a somewhere between 2-4 days long. Most of the time we have just a few primary targets and can take the day as it comes. On the other hand our December trips tend to be very busy, with early mornings, late nights and lots of park hopping. SWW tend to work this way as well.

Each method has its pros and cons. You can do and see much more when you go for 18 hours a day but there is not much relaxing to be had. For me this works out fine as I relax by doing things. Sitting on a beach staring at the waves would make me insane in about 1/2 an hour. Going non stop at WDW leaves me tired but mentally refreshed.

ddrongowski

Wizard I agree with you. My planning is of the following.

day 1, arrive, check-in, run around MK blindly from the excitement because we are here. This is the only day that is crazy, and that is only because of the excitement of finally arriving (did I already mention that?).
day 2. DHS, with backup park DAK.
day 3. DAK, with backup park DHS. After DAK closes, maybe eat somewhere at DD, or "rest" at the resort.
day 4. Morning at DQ, and then MNSSHP at MK.
day 5. Epcot.
days 6 thru 9 do whatever.

We never go to the parks at opening, done it in the past, not a big deal to miss it. We normally arrive at the park of the day around noon. We do try to do MK, DHS, DAK at least 2 times in the 9 days. Epcot is a one timer for us. DQ is a one or maybe two visit. Other than that we hang at the resort and swim, drink, and do relaxing things.

sbkline

We have done it both ways. Typically our trips a somewhere between 2-4 days long. Most of the time we have just a few primary targets and can take the day as it comes. On the other hand our December trips tend to be very busy, with early mornings, late nights and lots of park hopping. SWW tend to work this way as well.

Each method has its pros and cons. You can do and see much more when you go for 18 hours a day but there is not much relaxing to be had. For me this works out fine as I relax by doing things. Sitting on a beach staring at the waves would make me insane in about 1/2 an hour. Going non stop at WDW leaves me tired but mentally refreshed.

I'm exactly the same way! My Aunt and Uncle give me a hard time about going to WDW every year, but they are much more about camping, the outdoors, natural stuff, etc. One day my uncle said that for all the money we spend at WDW, he can sit in a chair and look at a beautiful lake, or mountain or whatever, and it doesn't cost him a thing. I replied basically what you just said...that this kind of a view is fine, but it gets old in about a half hour and then I'm ready to move on and get some action in there!

We always do a beach day on our trips, but I get bored after an hour or two there and am ready to hit the road. But back when we used to do open to close at the Magic Kingdom (with close being 10 or 11), I would leave that place feeling like I had a good day and a nice, relaxing time away from the routines of life.

But my wife is pretty much opposite of that. My style drives her nuts. One night here at home, we were watching National Lampoon's Vacation (the one where the went to "Wally World") and she kept telling me that Clark Griswold reminded her so much of me. LOL

Lucky

It's overly detailed itineraries that are death to relaxation. It's not so much how long or short your schedule is, but how flexible or inflexible it is. You can't program the weather and all sorts of other things that affect what you're able to do and when.

Jerm

When we plan out our trips it really is what parks for what days and if we did do an ADR we toss that in. People have gotten a little scary with their planning and I feel that take a lot of the fun out of the parks!

The one tip I would give is do go for park opening to the non EMH parks, we do this every day and really knock out more attractions before noon then we do for the rest of the day. People on vacation feel that they don't need to get up early which helps out those of us who enjoy the cooler weather and shorter lines in the morning!

The Empress Lilly

I hate commando style Disney.

But the way they herd their customers leaves you little choice. A WDW vacation has now become a stressful event that puts a strain on your family.

You need to book your meals twentytwo months in advance, you need fastpasses, you have EMH, early closing times, half of EPCOT closes early. Common courtesy by guests themselves is not what it used to be anymore either.

It's all so sad. You end up with more stress and more family fights than if you'd just stayed home and went to the local zoo and amusement park. The only way for me to do it is to unwind and make a conscious effort not to rush anywhere.

WDWmazprty

But the way they herd their customers leaves you little choice. A WDW vacation has now become a stressful event that puts a strain on your family.

You need to book your meals twentytwo months in advance, you need fastpasses, you have EMH, early closing times, half of EPCOT closes early. Common courtesy by guests themselves is not what it used to be anymore either.

It's all so sad. You end up with more stress and more family fights than if you'd just stayed home and went to the local zoo and amusement park. The only way for me to do it is to unwind and make a conscious effort not to rush anywhere.

I see your point. But actually, it would be more stressful for me if I didnt have any ADR's, or had to wait in line 90 minutes for a ride, or know that maybe the only chance to get on my favorite ride is to wait that 90 minutes.
But, for me anyway, FP and ADR'S, ETC. is part of the planning and trip process so that I DON'T have stress. IMHO.:wave:

stratman50th

Sad but true, and we used to do it that way. Now it really is relaxing with built in pool/resort rest times, late EMH, but on our timetable. You're right about the meals. This will be the first year that I have made reservations for table service dinner every night of the trip. Sad it has to be that way, but yeah, times change.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When we plan out our trips it really is what parks for what days and if we did do an ADR we toss that in. People have gotten a little scary with their planning and I feel that take a lot of the fun out of the parks!

The one tip I would give is do go for park opening to the non EMH parks, we do this every day and really knock out more attractions before noon then we do for the rest of the day. People on vacation feel that they don't need to get up early which helps out those of us who enjoy the cooler weather and shorter lines in the morning!
I shall never forget the uber planner I saw snap in front of E:E. Kids asked to go to the bathroom, dad complied, mom shrieked "That is not in the schedule!":lol:

Did Knee

I spend upwards of two grand for 4 nights 5 days for two of us at a deluxe resort. I guess I feel that if I don't go at full tilt, I'm not getting my money's worth. That being said, I wish I didn't always feel like I went 14 rounds with Mike Tyson after my vacation :hammer:

wizards8507

Original Poster
I shall never forget the uber planner I saw snap in front of E:E. Kids asked to go to the bathroom, dad complied, mom shrieked "That is not in the schedule!"

Wait really? That's insane.

It's overly detailed itineraries that are death to relaxation. It's not so much how long or short your schedule is, but how flexible or inflexible it is. You can't program the weather and all sorts of other things that affect what you're able to do and when.

I agree with respect to the bathroom-break-planners, but its tough to NOT plan with the ADR requirements, especially.

Also, I'm ALWAYS there for park opening and closing, because I enjoy the relative cool and smaller crowds, but it's the naps and off days that get me through.

muse1983

I spend upwards of two grand for 4 nights 5 days for two of us at a deluxe resort. I guess I feel that if I don't go at full tilt, I'm not getting my money's worth. That being said, I wish I didn't always feel like I went 14 rounds with Mike Tyson after my vacation :hammer:

I'm more curious how you go for 4 nights and 5 days and it only cost you up to 2 grand...please share your secret:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom