Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What does Universal do with that 20 bucks you pay them to watch their movie for 48 hours? Does Universal's accounting team give your 20 bucks to charity? Do they turn it into rolls of quarters and throw it into the flume at Disneyland's It's A Small World to be handed over to UNICEF?

Or does Universal take your 20 dollars and donate it to the Epstein Home in Montebanc for refugee Jewish children? (hilariously funny Auntie Mame reference, but no need for anyone to pretend they caught it).

Amazon product ASIN B0B5NQ26YK
Its counted toward the movies ancillary market earnings which are separate from Box Office earnings, which BTW is also where streaming is counted as an ancillary earning. This as @MisterPenguin will tell you is how studios end up making up any of a movies budget that isn't made in the Box Office.

TP2000

Its counted toward the movies ancillary market earnings which are separate from Box Office earnings, which BTW is also where streaming is counted as an ancillary earning. This as @MisterPenguin will tell you is how studios end up making up any of a movies budget that isn't made in the Box Office.

Yeah, that and Sox merchandise, all of it now half-off at Target. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, that and Sox merchandise, all of it now half-off at Target. ;)

Must just be your local Target my friend because mine still lists Sox as $29.99 and is out of stock within a 50 mile radius, but I can get it shipped to me by the end of the week.

Sox.png

Last edited:

TP2000

So yeah I don't see how Minions 2 is going to make more at the BO than Thor 4, or Jurassic World Dominion, or even the first Minions movie. Now I obviously could be wrong, but I don't think so given what we know about studios sticking pretty closely to the 45 day window now.

Here's where Minions and Thor now stand as of this afternoon. Minions is still ahead of Thor by $21 Million.

Thor is still dropping off faster than Minions even though Thor is a week newer and in 500 more theaters than Minions. Minions is pulling in $106 more per theater than Thor is right now.

Minions 2 = $304 Million
Thor 4 = $283 Million

LimpingLightyear.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here's where Minions and Thor now stand as of this afternoon. Minions is still ahead of Thor by $21 Million.

Thor is still dropping off faster than Minions even though Thor is a week newer and in 500 more theaters than Minions. Minions is pulling in $106 more per theater than Thor is right now.

Minions 2 = $304 Million
Thor 4 = $283 Million

View attachment 655990

And on week-to-week Thor is still ahead of Minions and has been since release, so not sure what you're trying to prove here. Its still on pace to earn as much as Ragnarok domestically if not more.

If Thor drops below Minions in the week-to-week then maybe I might be "worried" (even though I don't really care).

Until then how about we just wait and see what the final numbers are for each when they leave theaters.

TP2000

And on week-to-week Thor is still ahead of Minions and has been since release, so not sure what you're trying to prove here. Its still on pace to earn as much as Ragnarok domestically if not more.

If Thor drops below Minions in the week-to-week then maybe I might be "worried" (even though I don't really care).

Until then how about we just wait and see what the final numbers are for each when they leave theaters.

But two days ago you said this...

So yeah I don't see how Minions 2 is going to make more at the BO than Thor 4...

But Thor is already $21 Million behind the Minions domestically, and dropping faster. So I don't see how Thor makes up that missing $21 Million and pulls ahead of the Minions domestically.

A reminder of the production budgets for both films, which is really the core issue here...

Thor 4 = $250 Million Production Budget
Minions 2 = $80 Million Production Budget

Using @MisterPenguin's formula that a film needs to gross triple it's production budget at the global box office in order to break even, we get this figure for these two films as of this past weekend...

Thor 4 = $750 Million Breakeven, Current Global B.O. $610 Million, $140 Million deficit for Disney
Minions 2 = $240 Million Breakeven, Current Global B.O. $610 Million, $370 Million profit for Universal

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But two days ago you said this...

But Thor is already $21 Million behind the Minions domestically, and dropping faster. So I don't see how Thor makes up that missing $21 Million and pulls ahead of the Minions domestically.

A reminder of the production budgets for both films, which is really the core issue here...

Thor 4 = $250 Million Production Budget
Minions 2 = $80 Million Production Budget

Using @MisterPenguin's formula that a film needs to gross triple it's production budget at the global box office in order to break even, we get this figure for these two films as of this past weekend...

Thor 4 = $750 Million Breakeven, Current Global B.O. $610 Million, $140 Million deficit for Disney
Minions 2 = $240 Million Breakeven, Current Global B.O. $610 Million, $370 Million profit for Universal

And I still stand by that post, I still don't see Minions makes more domestically than Thor when its all said and done. Could I be wrong, sure absolutely. Could I be wrong about other BO predictions I've made on this forum, yep. But ask me if I care, NOPE!!!! I'm still going to make them and be just fine.

Honestly you seem to be way more invested in this than I am.

So again how about we just wait and see the final domestic BO numbers when each leaves the theaters, whether that be next month or 2-3 months from now.

TP2000

Honestly you seem to be way more invested in this than I am.

I'm not actually. I divested my portfolio of the last Disney stock just over a year ago now.

But I do know that a lot of Americans do still own Disney stock, many of them Cast Members purchasing it for retirement, and they need to see it return to profitability for their own sake.

I mean, my God, Disney has lost 42% of its stock value in the last year. :oops:

Screenshot 2022-07-28 005117.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not actually. I divested my portfolio of the last Disney stock just over a year ago now.

But I do know that a lot of Americans do still own Disney stock, many of them Cast Members purchasing it for retirement, and they need to see it return to profitability for their own sake.

I mean, my God, Disney has lost 42% of its stock value in the last year. :oops:

View attachment 656067
I didn't mean literal investment with money my friend and you know it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, but a lot of people do have literal investments in Disney. And they need the company to create profit, not losses.

Well as a shareholder myself, I'm ok with how things currently are, especially the movies. Because I view DIS as a long term investment not a short term day trade my friend.

And if you were to look at the very same page you posted from Barrons, you would see that analysts feel that same way with Buy or Hold ratings. No Sell ratings there my friend, showing that even Wall St doesn't care about the individual BO results. They look at the whole company, and see that its fundamentally fine.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well as a shareholder myself, I'm ok with how things currently are, especially the movies. Because I view DIS as a long term investment not a short term day trade my friend.

And if you were to look at the very same page you posted from Barrons, you would see that analysts feel that same way with Buy or Hold ratings. No Sell ratings there my friend, showing that even Wall St doesn't care about the individual BO results. They look at the whole company, and see that its fundamentally fine.
Indeed...

1659024074336.png

TP2000

As of this past weekend, global box office for Thor 4 is now at $662 Million. Minions 2 is at $710 Million globally.

But the real story of the summer is obviously still Top Gun Maverick. It's now crossed $1.3 Billion (with a B) in global box office. Off of a production budget of $170 Million, which gives it a breakeven of about $510 Million. Paramount must be thrilled with that profit of nearly $800 Million and still rising.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As of this past weekend, global box office for Thor 4 is now at $662 Million. Minions 2 is at $710 Million globally.

But the real story of the summer is obviously still Top Gun Maverick. It's now crossed $1.3 Billion (with a B) in global box office. Off of a production budget of $170 Million, which gives it a breakeven of about $510 Million. Paramount must be thrilled with that profit of nearly $800 Million and still rising.

Check your math there my friend. Remember Hollywood math is used here, you have to half that box office figure. That is not all profit for the studio, they get on average only 50% of the box office. So that means Paramount has only made about $650M on Maverick, and using your number for breakeven, means they've only made about $140M in profit so far.

Also this late stage in the movies run, most of that money is going to the theaters anyways.

Sharon&Susan

Check your math there my friend. Remember Hollywood math is used here, you have to half that box office figure. That is not all profit for the studio, they get on average only 50% of the box office. So that means Paramount has only made about $650M on Maverick, and using your number for breakeven, means they've only made about $140M in profit so far.

Also this late stage in the movies run, most of that money is going to the theaters anyways.
Serious question, if the profits are so dire for Top Gun, a $170 million feature, how did Disney expect to make any movie back on a Thor sequel with a $250 million budget that certainly was never destined to hit the billion mark?

lazyboy97o

Serious question, if the profits are so dire for Top Gun, a $170 million feature, how did Disney expect to make any movie back on a Thor sequel with a $250 million budget that certainly was never destined to hit the billion mark?
Toys. Clothes. Cable TV deals. Even a few home media sales. The days of the box office being the revenue stream are long gone, but even there Disney has been aggressive in getting better terms for themselves.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If Thor 4 made as much at the BO as Thor 3 ($854M), it would have had a profit in the theatrical window. It wasn't expected to fall short of that (at $668M currently). The history of MCU movies is that sequels make more than their predecessors.

Right now, using the rule of thumb, Thor 4 is at a $41M loss. But as mentioned above, that can be made up in the post-theatrical windows and in merch and adding value to D+.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Thor 4 made as much at the BO as Thor 3 ($854M), it would have had a profit in the theatrical window. It wasn't expected to fall short of that (at $668M currently). The history of MCU movies is that sequels make more than their predecessors.

Right now, using the rule of thumb, Thor 4 is at a $41M loss. But as mentioned above, that can be made up in the post-theatrical windows and in merch and adding value to D+.
International is really what has hurt Thor 4, as domestically its been ahead of Thor 3. Domestically Thor 3 took 44 days to get to where Thor 4 is now in 26 (as of this post).

TP2000

I used this chart over in the Lightyear thread, but it works here too.

Domestic box office for Thor as of 8/3/22 is $307 Million and it continues to be stuck behind Minions on daily box office even though Minions is a week older and is in fewer theaters.

LightyearGoesToPasture.jpg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I used this chart over in the Lightyear thread, but it works here too.

Domestic box office for Thor as of 8/3/22 is $307 Million and it continues to be stuck behind Minions on daily box office even though Minions is a week older and is in fewer theaters.

View attachment 658108
I really don't care what charts you post since you cherry pick data to back up an obsessive agenda.

And it has nothing to do with my post you're quoting.

And you continue to completely not understand how the film industry works.

Your posts are just a joke at this point.

Good day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom