Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

TP2000

I really don't care what charts you post since you cherry pick data to back up an obsessive agenda.

Is there some other box office tabulation we should be using to determine how much money a movie has made?

That site I found called The Numbers seems legit and updates daily, but if there's some other site that is more accurate and can't be accused of "cherry picking" the box office results let me know and I'm happy to use it.

And you continue to completely not understand how the film industry works.

Yeah, I have no working experience in any part of the film industry. I don't even know anyone who works in the film industry (that I can remember meeting). But it's a major component of the financial health of the Walt Disney Company, so I'm happy to learn and discuss it here on this forum about The Walt Disney Company. :)

Your posts are just a joke at this point.

You should see my tennis game this summer! That's the real joke. :(

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there some other box office tabulation we should be using to determine how much money a movie has made?

That site I found called The Numbers seems legit and updates daily, but if there's some other site that is more accurate and can't be accused of "cherry picking" the box office results let me know and I'm happy to use it.

Yeah, I have no working experience in any part of the film industry. I don't even know anyone who works in the film industry (that I can remember meeting). But it's a major component of the financial health of the Walt Disney Company, so I'm happy to learn and discuss it here on this forum about The Walt Disney Company. :)

You should see my tennis game this summer! That's the real joke. :(

I said, "Good day."

TP2000

I said, "Good day."

And then I asked you this question, which I'm happy to repeat...

That site I found called The Numbers seems legit and updates daily, but if there's some other site that is more accurate and can't be accused of "cherry picking" the box office results let me know and I'm happy to use it. :)

TP2000

Yep, and its surpassed Thor3 domestic box office making it the domestically highest grossing Thor film to date.

And yet, as of yesterday still running behind the Minions which Universal made for $170 Million less than it cost Burbank to produce Thor...

Screenshot 2022-08-11 144340.jpg

TP2000

Come back when you learn how math works...

View attachment 659629

I hate math, but this isn't hard. Thor is pulling in lower ticket sales than Minions is, even though Minions is an older movie by one week. Minions also has higher per-theater ticket sales, meaning more butts in seats in each theater. Thor has been stuck at around $18 to $19 Million less than Minions for several weeks now, and isn't making up that loss.

And I assume Thor goes to Disney+ in two weeks or so? Or does Marvel get to keep movies in theaters longer than Pixar or Walt Disney Pictures or LucasFilm? And if so, why?

TP2000

And yet you still seem to be the only one that cares.....

Not even analysts on yesterdays earnings call cared. So that should tell you something.

They barely care about the Parks on those calls, and they don't even touch Merchandise. They only care about tax rates and STREAMING!, because that's the latest financial buzzword.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They barely care about the Parks on those calls, and they don't even touch Merchandise. They only care about tax rates and STREAMING!, because that's the latest financial buzzword.
Point is if analysts, you know the people that care about the financial health of the company, don't care about how Thor is doing against Minions or any other movie then why do you? Seems like you're obsessed to show that TWDC is failing in some way, even if they aren't.

In addition the very fact its done better than the previous Thor films domestically is something that analysts have actually called out, and even Forbes makes a point that not every MCU film needs to do $1B to be successful -

BTW, I love the tagline, its so apropos to this conversation.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m still trying to figure out his angle on this one. Is he upset by the fact that
Korg reproduces with another male creature made of rocks
?

Or is he trying to argue that Lightyear has ruined entire company?
He got it into his head he can score points against Disney by attacking it's media production as not being financially viable by cherry picking data.

Notwithstanding he doesn't know a lick about media finances.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So by Sept 8th I suspect the final WWBO will be close to $750M, which once the tally is final for ancillary will end up with Disney/Marvel making a nice profit on this movie. It won't be huge but enough to call it a financial success and green light another Thor movie if they choose. And given how they left the end of this one, I suspect they will.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So by Sept 8th I suspect the final WWBO will be close to $750M, which once the tally is final for ancillary will end up with Disney/Marvel making a nice profit on this movie. It won't be huge but enough to call it a financial success and green light another Thor movie if they choose. And given how they left the end of this one, I suspect they will.
Thor is sitting currently at at $6M loss. It only needs $12M more at the B.O. to break even, which is doable in two weeks.

Also the Rule of Thumb isn't exact, so... it's pretty much already should be considered 'breaking even' as with any movie that winds up within $10M of the Rule of Thumb's profit/loss. And as you've said, the post-theatrical windows will make it financially successful in the end.

Another Thor movie would be successful if they could pare down the $250M budget to $200.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thor is sitting currently at at $6M loss. It only needs $12M more at the B.O. to break even, which is doable in two weeks.

Also the Rule of Thumb isn't exact, so... it's pretty much already should be considered 'breaking even' as with any movie that winds up within $10M of the Rule of Thumb's profit/loss. And as you've said, the post-theatrical windows will make it financially successful in the end.

Another Thor movie would be successful if they could pare down the $250M budget to $200.
Plus as we know Disney actually gets closer to 55-60% of the take, so really its likely already been at break-even for a couple weeks and even has been raking in profit.

If they could do less CG that would bring down costs a tremendous amount. The other 3 were done for under $200M, so the next one should be too. And with Hemsworth saying he'll play Thor until the end of time if they let him, so I doubt he's in it for the money and won't need a huge RDJ sized contract.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Plus as we know Disney actually gets closer to 55-60% of the take, so really its likely already been at break-even for a couple weeks and even has been raking in profit.
The "Rule of Thumb" includes the higher share of the BO that studios make at the beginning of the run in the U.S. which is then offset, as time goes on, the studios getting a lower and lower share of the BO during a film's theatrical run. Also, studios get a significantly lesser share of the BO in foreign markets. Taking all that into account, in the end, studios make about 50% of the BO.

Also, if T:L&T had opened in China, it would already be on the profitable side of the bottom line already.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The "Rule of Thumb" includes the higher share of the BO that studios make at the beginning of the run in the U.S. which is then offset, as time goes on, the studios getting a lower and lower share of the BO during a film's theatrical run. Also, studios get a significantly lesser share of the BO in foreign markets. Taking all that into account, in the end, studios make about 50% of the BO.

Also, if T:L&T had opened in China, it would already be on the profitable side of the bottom line already.
The only issue with the "Rule of Thumb" is its set for an average of 50% which is lower than Disney actually gets at 55-60%. So we're dealing with averages not the absolutes here.

And yeah if it had China (and a full Russia release) no doubt it would have added possibly another $125-$150M.

Vegas Disney Fan

Box office isn’t the only metric but it’s interesting watching what’s happening with the movies the last couple years… pre-pandemic Disney owned the box office with Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, live action remakes, etc all being box office gold, that’s really fallen off the last couple pandemic years.

In 2015 Disney had 4 of the top 10 grossing movies (2,3,4,10)
2016 Disney had the top 3 movies and 6 of the top 10 (1,2,3,5,7,10)
2017 Disney had the top 2 movies and 4 of the top 10 (1,2,4,7)
2018 Disney had the top 3 movies and 5 of the top 10 (1,2,3,9,10)
2019 Disney had the top 6 movies and 7 of the top 10 (1,2,3,4,5,6,8)
2020 Disney had 1 in the top 10 (5)
2021 Disney had 3 in the top 10 (2,4,6)
2022 Disney has 2 in the top 10 (2,6)

The big question is why? Are the other studios putting out better movies?, Are people losing interest in constant Marvel and Star Wars releases? (Unlikely since they are consistently top 10 still), is this Disney+ related and people are just waiting to see Disney movies for “free”? (like me), has Disney gone too “woke” and people are revolting? (unlikely but maybe a minor factor), has Disney put out too many duds and people no longer view everything Disney makes as must see anymore?, Maybe a little of everything?

For a company that was pumping out several billion+ dollar movies every year they must be a little concerned they haven’t had one hit that mark yet post pandemic (although Dr Strange is getting close), Spiderman hit nearly 2 billion last year and Top Gun is pushing 1.5 billion so the audience is there for the right movie, Disney just hasn’t been able to find it yet or they’ve changed the dynamic so much with D+ they’ve sacrificed box office revenue for streaming revenue.

PS… I just came to say I was excited it’s being released so soon on D+, didn’t mean to get pulled into a box office debate but I’m fascinated with how (I believe) D+ is affecting Disneys whole movie division.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom