Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Disney Irish

Premium Member

BrianLo

No, no. Every PG-13 movie aimed at horror-obsessed teenagers like Doctor Strange...

review-doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-is-fun-sam-raimi-style-horror-awesomeness.jpg

Is exactly like every PG movie like Lightyear aimed at parents taking their grade-school aged children to the multiplex.

It's like people can't detect major differences or MPAA ratings, let alone nuance. According to some folks here, every movie is apparently all the same, whether it's X Rated Debbie Does Dallas or G Rated Mary Poppins. It's a movie, so it all can be equally profane, or graphic, or sexually explicit.

And if you refuse to subject your child to that, you are a bigot. Got it? Good. 🤪

It's a-ok if it's straight though, bordering on non-consent... and necrophilia?

image.jpeg

Walt, Think of the children!!

Ghost93

Hopefully they can use the Volume to bring down costs of the films overall, location shoots are very expensive.
But location shoots look much better. Say what you will about the storytelling of Eternals, but visually that movie looked the best out of all of Marvel's recent films because so much of it was shot on location.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But location shoots look much better. Say what you will about the storytelling of Eternals, but visually that movie looked the best out of all of Marvel's recent films because so much of it was shot on location.
Mando looks visually stunning to me too, and it’s filmed entirely at the Volume. The whole purpose is to create any place real or imagined without physically going there. So as the tech progresses they’ll be able to recreate any place in the world and get the same visuals as actually being there and you won’t tell the difference.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Mando looks visually stunning to me too, and it’s filmed entirely at the Volume.

Not entirely - they still use sets and studios too.

The real innovation is the flexibility it gives the director while creating more practical lighting and support for the cast.

“Go anywhere” was already done - this gives the the director the ability to move and place their cameras more dynamically with less post production.

It is amazing what they have pulled off with it

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not entirely - they still use sets and studios too.

The real innovation is the flexibility it gives the director while creating more practical lighting and support for the cast.

“Go anywhere” was already done - this gives the the director the ability to move and place their cameras more dynamically with less post production.

It is amazing what they have pulled off with it
My point was that there was no location shoots, so while yes sets were built to add to shots, it was filmed entirely at the Manhattan Beach Studios using the Volume.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point was that there was no location shoots, so while yes sets were built to add to shots, it was filmed entirely at the Manhattan Beach Studios using the Volume.
No - more than in the volume.

But no longer worth more energy. the volume doesn’t change how cgi replaces backdrops- it changes photography and acting.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No - more than in the volume.

But no longer worth more energy. the volume doesn’t change how cgi replaces backdrops- it changes photography and acting.

So what location shoots were done then? Please provide the actual locations outside of Manhattan Beach Studio. Because as far as I’m aware there were none, especially for season one. I understand you’re probably trying to get into the tech aspect of The Volume but that isn’t what I’m talking about.

DCLcruiser

Not the best. Very sophomoric. Those goats need the be on mute. Some parts were well done. Still worth seeing once, but that’s about it.

Prince-1

Not the best. Very sophomoric. Those goats need the be on mute. Some parts were well done. Still worth seeing once, but that’s about it.

It was definitely a huge letdown from Thor 3. It wasn’t bad overall but the humor was way over the top and most of it was very juvenile and didn’t hit. Taiki also dumbed down Thor and made him a joke.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really liked it.

You could see that Thor was going through a bit of a midlife crisis. Something that Taika explained was exactly what he is going for with this film, so well done there.

I liked the Jane story arch, straight out of the comics with a slight change to fit the MCU, so also well done there.

End credits are interesting. Without giving too much away since this is not a spoiler thread, I wonder if this is going to be tied to a certain future Disney Live Action film, is Disney linking some of their other IP to the MCU? I would bet no, but it would be an interesting theory if it was.

LSLS

My opinion, I liked it, but I felt it could have been more (where is the spoiler thread for this?). I heard a review mention something, and it really struck home with me. It was too short. And that meant the first part of the movie went WAY too fast. I just kept thinking of all the cool stuff we missed on.

Why not show jane actually get the hammer and transform? How about Siv's battle with Gorr to show his power like they did with Hella? Or show Gorr killing anyone? And what in the world was the point of the guardians here?

I think you add 20-30 minutes to the beginning with this stuff, it could have been a near the top movie for me.

Guess my bottom line is I had fun, I'm obviously a child cause I laughed at all the stuff everyone here was too mature for, but I did feel there were things from keeping it great.

DCLcruiser

I really liked it.

You could see that Thor was going through a bit of a midlife crisis. Something that Taika explained was exactly what he is going for with this film, so well done there.

I liked the Jane story arch, straight out of the comics with a slight change to fit the MCU, so also well done there.

End credits are interesting. Without giving too much away since this is not a spoiler thread, I wonder if this is going to be tied to a certain future Disney Live Action film, is Disney linking some of their other IP to the MCU? I would bet no, but it would be an interesting theory if it was.
I saw some opinions on the future of that character from the end scene.

I hope Mighty Thor is in future installments.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I debated about posting this.....

But did anyone else noticed who one of the Executive Producers was for the film..... Brian Chapek, son of CEO Bob Chapek.

Now before anyone jumps all over this, it appears Brian has been at Marvel for a few years now, 10 years to be exact. And he has a few producer credits to his name, including Ragnarok. So he appears to have some creative aspirations to him.

I thought it was interesting, ok carry on.

DCLcruiser

I debated about posting this.....

But did anyone else noticed who one of the Executive Producers was for the film..... Brian Chapek, son of CEO Bob Chapek.

Now before anyone jumps all over this, it appears Brian has been at Marvel for a few years now, 10 years to be exact. And he has a few producer credits to his name, including Ragnarok. So he appears to have some creative aspirations to him.

I thought it was interesting, ok carry on.
Explains the annoying goats that went straight to plush $35 toys at WDW.
I don't know if Mighty Thor will be in future installments, but possibly Jane becomes a Valkyrie as she did in the comics.
Ah, did not know that. Works for me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Explains the annoying goats that went straight to plush $35 toys at WDW.
Well it also possibly explains why Bob doesn't interfere too much with Marvel (besides Feige himself of course). And why Marvel has made a big push into the Parks over the last few years.

Also wonder if Brian is potentially being groomed to move higher up in the company.

Just my thoughts.

Ah, did not know that. Works for me.
Yeah, its a huge story line happening right now in the comics, just started in 2019. Now she goes by Valkyrie in the comics, which wouldn't work in the MCU, so she'd probably need a name change. But I like that story line better than Mighty Thor for Jane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom