T-Rex Concept Art

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Has anyone actually confirmed where T-Rex is going to be built? The caption indicated the Marketplace but I can't see how they could build there unless the tore something else down. To me at least it would make the most sense to build on the vacant land between Cirque and House of Blues.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was going to be built (at least in part) on some of the existing parking lot space between PI and West End...but that would put it pretty close to Planet Hollywood...

At any rate, I don't believe it's going to be part of the Marketplace...I have always heard of it as being a part of the PI enhancements/changes...

Buried20KLeague

My kids actually just ate at the T-Rex Cafe in Kansas City just a couple days ago with their grandparents. There are some pictures, but taken on a plain old film camera my in-laws still sport. :brick: :lol:

Being the Disney-freaks we are, I pummelled my kids with questions right away about it, knowing it's coming to DD. Mind you, they're 8 and 10, but here's what I got:

They ate in an "ice-cave room" that they said looked really neat... And at one point a comet came (I'm imagining like the thunderstorm at Rainforest Cafe) and gave the room the appearance it was "melting"... The icy white-blue walls slowly turned red, etc... There were lots of individual themed rooms, just like at Rainforest. The comet was restaurant wide, not just something for their room. But the comet's effect was different depending on the room you were in.

Plenty of AA dinos all over the place... :hammer:

There was a dig area for kids. Handy, apparently, to kill time during the 3 HOUR WAIT they had to get a table. :lookaroun

When I asked them what they thought of it compared to Rainforest (which they LOVE) they both instantly said this place was TONS better, and they couldn't wait till the one at Disney got built.

If anyone wants me to ask them anything specific, I can do so... Just let me know.

Epcot82Guy

Original Poster
I thought I saw somewhere that it was going to be built (at least in part) on some of the existing parking lot space between PI and West End...but that would put it pretty close to Planet Hollywood...

At any rate, I don't believe it's going to be part of the Marketplace...I have always heard of it as being a part of the PI enhancements/changes...

I think that had been speculation that it was going to PI, but the website says Marketplace. I would assume that Disney would be fairly explicit with that. Now, I do think there is a good chance that it will sit on the boundary by Fulton's, but we'll see. It wouldn't make sense for it to go elsewhere in that it would compete with Rainforest (and create a HUGE bottleneck).

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Has anyone actually confirmed where T-Rex is going to be built? The caption indicated the Marketplace but I can't see how they could build there unless the tore something else down. To me at least it would make the most sense to build on the vacant land between Cirque and House of Blues.

Right out in front of the main enterance to PI, right in the parking lot, where there ISN'T enough parking in the 1st place. *sigh*

kurros

It depends on where you want to draw the line of PI and Marketplace. It will be going in the area between McDonald's and Raglan Road. I'd peg it on the Marketplace side of the water though.

WDWFREAK53

Umm...

Is there any chance that this just might be a "redo" of the current Rainforest Cafe? Why would Landry want to compete with themselves with a restaurant that looks basically the same with just different AA's?

I'm thinking T-Rex is REPLACING the Rainforest Cafe considering that they already offer a Rainforest outside of the Animal Kingdom and Asia doesn't really count as "competition" because it's located within the gates of the Animal Kingdom.

I can't see them building an almost exact replica of the mountain somewhere else within the Downtown area. Who am I though? :lol:

kurros

I don't know capacity numbers but judging by the regular long waits at Rainforest Cafe at the Marketplace I'm not sure they are worried about cannibalizing their own sales with T-Rex.

TTATraveler

T Rex's menu features similar items that the Rainforest serves not to mention it look eerily similar. I couldn't imagine the 2 being at the marketplace. It seems to me that a better fit may be the West Side to attract more people over there.

disneydudette

ok... i'm an outsider to all this information... but was extremely curious

Was it %100 confirmed that this would NOT replace/over take the Rainforest Cafe?
To me it just seems way too similar in the concept art. Even the description of the the dinning experience rivaled Rain Forest Cafe...

just curious

mkepcotmgmak

Umm...

Is there any chance that this just might be a "redo" of the current Rainforest Cafe? Why would Landry want to compete with themselves with a restaurant that looks basically the same with just different AA's?

I'm thinking T-Rex is REPLACING the Rainforest Cafe considering that they already offer a Rainforest outside of the Animal Kingdom and Asia doesn't really count as "competition" because it's located within the gates of the Animal Kingdom.

I can't see them building an almost exact replica of the mountain somewhere else within the Downtown area. Who am I though? :lol:

doesn't landry and other companies generally do this? they usually put joe's crabshack, landry's, saltgrass, aquarium's and other restaurants all together in shopping complexes and resort areas? maybe?

villianess

I live in KC, and have been to the T-Rex here. I think it is far better done than Rainforest Cafe. I think the animatronics are better and more lifelike - and the ambiance is outta this world - there are several different themed areas inside - and it seems more elaborate than Rainforest. It's awesome. The only thing I'm not really impressed with is when the asteroid hits. Not much goes on besides the sound. I was hoping there'd be more "drama," like some shaking or a different programmed movement in the dinosaurs. The food was really good too - a major improvement from Rainforest which I think is barely so-so. My nephew liked the "build-a-dino" workshop inside the restaurant, too. Fun place. Good addition to "The World! " :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Umm...

I thought of the same thing myself but I have never seen a time where RFC did not have a considerably long wait. Even though they are owned by the same company very few people would know that and I assume they would want to spread the wealth rather that turn customers away.

MissM

I don't have flash, can somebody add the pic here?
I just took a screen cap of the image:

trex-dtd.jpg

Hope that helps!
-m

kurros

ok... i'm an outsider to all this information... Was it %100 confirmed that this would NOT replace/over take the Rainforest Cafe?

just curious

The placement I and others have mentioned was mentioned to me not too long ago by the VP of Downtown Disney himself. It is also part of the reason the traffic pattern in the parking lot was changed recently. I mean it's up to Landry's but it seems late in the game for a decision like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom