T-Rex Aquarium at Downtown Disney Ruptured Today

SoupBone

Ever see Jaws III?

I've heard that he's been rehabilitated.

Finding-nemo-bruce-anchor-chum.jpg

articos

It's a picture of the Living Seas at EPCOT before Disney redid the pavilion with Finding Nemo. It still had the old "Seabase Alpha" theme back then. That in particular is a picture of the hydrolator. It was a room you entered that served as a "transition" from the surface to the deep sea. It was actually a clever little illusion though (you actually weren't moving any, it was just a room that gave the illusion of an elevator by making the floor vibrate and some small tanks of water surrounding you to simulate descent). Kind of like WDW's version of Haunted Mansion where the stretching room doesn't actually serve as a real elevator (Disneyland's does I know but WDW's does not).

If the tanks ruptured there, I doubt much bad would happen. It was a simple effect and likely wouldn't have been as big of a mess as a huge aquarium shattering. Nowhere near as creepy as the thought of that shark tunnel rupturing as you're walking through it.
If the hydrolator ruptured, people would be standing in a puddle, but that's about it. There really wasn't much water surrounding those things for the FX, and they aren't in contact with any of the tank sections. I loved that load room - the ending of the film opening onto the load station was a very effective story sell-through.

The Duck

Was this the tank just redone by ATM (Acrylic Tank Manufacturing) in Las Vegas the people from the show tanked?
During the opening credits of "Tanked" you can see the giant octopus figure over the bar in the T-Rex Cafe'. I'm not positive (but fairly certain) they built them.

StageFrenzy

If the hydrolator ruptured, people would be standing in a puddle, but that's about it. There really wasn't much water surrounding those things for the FX, and they aren't in contact with any of the tank sections. I loved that load room - the ending of the film opening onto the load station was a very effective story sell-through.

I cannot begin to tell you how cool I always felt when they showed the wireframe outline on the movie screen that changed into a video of the Hydrolator loading room. It felt like a scene out of a bond movie.

Mouse_Trap

It's a picture of the Living Seas at EPCOT before Disney redid the pavilion with Finding Nemo. It still had the old "Seabase Alpha" theme back then. That in particular is a picture of the hydrolator. It was a room you entered that served as a "transition" from the surface to the deep sea. It was actually a clever little illusion though (you actually weren't moving any, it was just a room that gave the illusion of an elevator by making the floor vibrate and some small tanks of water surrounding you to simulate descent). Kind of like WDW's version of Haunted Mansion where the stretching room doesn't actually serve as a real elevator (Disneyland's does I know but WDW's does not).

Thanks, it looked familiar to me but I must have been quite young when I last saw it operating.

dreamscometrue

We rode 'The Seas with Nemo' last week and spent 20 min after on the 2nd level watching the dolphin 'training' with the CMs. Certainly glad there are no seams to rupture in there. :eek:

ABQ

Ever see Jaws III?
Ugh. Unfortunately, and in 3D.
However, I think a physicist would tell you it's actually easier to keep the water outside a cylinder than inside, as the heavy pressure outside the walk through tunnel is supported better by the cylindrical tube then the inside pressure of T-Rex's tank. Time to call those guys from Animal Planet's Tanked show.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
However, I think a physicist would tell you it's actually easier to keep the water outside a cylinder than inside, as the heavy pressure outside the walk through tunnel is supported better by the cylindrical tube then the inside pressure of T-Rex's tank. Time to call those guys from Animal Planet's Tanked show.
An engineer will tell you the same.;)

sweetpee_1993

It was a question more in jest than anything. ;) I saw it in 3D at the movies, too. As a kid that movie was like the worst the imagination could conjur. And I was a very imaginative kiddo! LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom