swine flu

hardcard

A swarm of mad cow infected killer bees with a touch of the swine flu and a bad case of avian influenza has been spotted moving north along International Drive.

Run for your lives!!!

oh crap... it begins....... I'm going to make a sandwich board sign that says "The End is Coming! Repent now!"

EpcotServo

Hmmmm...might be the trees. Like something's....HAPPENING.
:lookaroun

:lol:

Anyhoo...

ach.php

toystory 3

Really, the media is MAJORLY sensationalizing this 'epidemic'..... Just like they sensationalized the 2,000 - 3,000 dead american soldiers in iraq/afgan... We lost hundreds of thousands in WWII alone....

So 3,000 people my age is not a significant number? Not cool...

And the media is how you find out news. No media= totalitarian dictatorships, not reporting the lost of life would be a crime.

AshaNeOmah

A swarm of mad cow infected killer bees with a touch of the swine flu and a bad case of avian influenza has been spotted moving north along International Drive.

Run for your lives!!!

You left out SARS. It was going to kill us all. How could you forget one of the media's apocalyptic disease/disaster of the month! Remember the 12 cases that occurred in Asia? I think a few of the networks had reporters live in China with hourly updates.

/sarcasm

No media= totalitarian dictatorships

I disagree. North Korea has a media. http://www.kcna.co.jp/ I think we can agree that the DPRK is a totalitarian dictatorship. How about this...

Biased media=bad media
Media with agenda=bad media

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So 3,000 people my age is not a significant number? Not cool...

And the media is how you find out news. No media= totalitarian dictatorships, not reporting the lost of life would be a crime.
Creating unnecessary panic = Crime. Should we be informed? Absolutely, but more facts and less sensationalism would be a good thing.

Ilovewishes

Apparently, swine flu has reached the UK. We have 2 people from Scotland in isolation who are "recovering well". Although our news shows are telling us that the straing they appear to have isn't as serious as the strains in Mexico. It sounds to me like they are a little bit confused about who has what and how serious it actually is.

I figure as long as the "experts" are saying there is nothing to worry about, I'll stay calm. As soon as they tell me to board up my windows and don a gas mask, I'm all over it!

Although, to be fair, Mad Cows Disease was a major problem here at the time (not sure about elsewhere). Not so much for people getting infected, but the numbers of livestock that had to be destroyed ruined many farmers financially and it has taken them years to recover. If they recovered at all.:(

sublimesting

You guys that dismiss this are doing so based on the fact that you have very clearly a limited understanding of what is going on.
True the flu kills ALOT of people every year. But what is different about this is that it attacks the healthiest people. It uses our own immune systems against us. It does not respond to any flu vaccine we currently have, and it does NOT rerspond well to Relenza or Tamiflu (it will IF contracted from a swine but this has mutated); I be;ieve Relenza works better. Furthermore, our immune systems do not know what to do with this virus as it has NEVER encountered anything like it because it is not the standard flu.

This is an H1N1 flu strain which caused the 1918 Spanish flu. More specifically, it is a strain of avian flu that mutated with a strain of swine flu. While swine flu can, in rare circumstances, be transferred to humans, the fact that it has yet again mutated to human to human transfer is disturbing. It shows this virus has a great ability to mutate and overtake our immune defenses and vaccines. Also, scary is the fact that it is airborne. Most sickness is transferred via mucousal membranes, airborne sickness is highly contagious.

This may not become a pandemic as it did not in 1976, BUT in 1976 it was quarantined alot better than we have done so far. Do NOT discount this based on SARS or bird flu not panning out into pandemics as the problem with SARS and bird flu was they killed 70-75% of their hosts thus acting as their own quarantine. This has a very real chance of spreading on pandemic levels.

And again, it is NOT normal flu your young, healthy immune systems will fight off. It is not even a mutation of the normal flu, it is a whole new disease. We do NOT have anti-virals as we have antibiotics, and our current medical care is very limited in what it can do to help us in this case. For as far as we have come in medical advancements, our ability to deal with viruses is almost at square one.
If one contracts swine flu, you could go from being healthy to not being able to walk within an hour. If your body reacts violently with a cytokinase storm, you'll be dead within a day. If it doesn't react violently you'll have a better chance, but so far the mortality rate of this is about 10%.

It may not pan out and thus we shouldn't be alarmed yet BUT if it does, we should be extremely alarmed. I know the media always jumps to ridiculous conclusions and is VERY sensationalistic but this isn't to be taken lightly.

MyLittleAngels

Let the panic begin

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html#-

"A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit,"

More media sensationalism. The case is not confirmed, as per the following information from the Sentinel.

Officials at Florida Hospital said there are no confirmed cases of swine flu in Central Florida, but state health officials said they have sent some flu-like cases to CDC for testing.

A report on WFTV.com showed a chief medical officer at Florida Hospital confirmed a case of swine flu in a Mexican tourist at Walt Disney World through an e-mail sent to the news agency.

"In this case, if it was implied that it was swine flu, that was a misstatement," Dr. Scott Brady, vice president of Florida Hospital, said at a 12:30 p.m. news conference.

"We have not had any confirmations from the CDC," Brady said. "We've had two or three cases of positive influenza...we should know about these in 48 hours."

Ashitaka

Really, the media is MAJORLY sensationalizing this 'epidemic'..... Just like they sensationalized the 2,000 - 3,000 dead american soldiers in iraq/afgan... We lost hundreds of thousands in WWII alone....
Ahh, so by that rational, I guess the media was just sensationalizing the murders of the 2,823 people killed on 9/11. Because gee, it was nothing compared to the 6 million or so people the Nazis murdered. I guess us New Yorkers should have just sucked it up and stopped being such babies about it.

Reporting the sacrifices of so many brave Americans (so far 4,253 in Iraq and 671 in Afghanistan) is not sensationalism. It allows us to honor them and their families. It is also so we can properly understand the costs of the decisions we make as a country. Only then can we have an intelligent discussion about those decisions.

As for the current outbreak of swine flu, all the information does need to be disseminated. It is important to know. I won't go into the details, as Sublimesting and some others here have done a good job on that already.

No, you don't need to go around changing your travel plans or anything (yet). Unless of course you were planning on traveling to Mexico in the next couple of weeks. And as the Hitchhikers Guide says, "Don't Panic." But keep updated as to what is happening.

If things go well, all this will run its course without it ever being a big deal outside of the already hard hit Mexico City. But, if it goes the other way, and this is why there is all this hubbub, it is important to remember that the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic (the one Walt survived) is estimated to have killed 50 million people worldwide (this number varies widely and is often listed anywhere from the range of 22 to 100 million). To bring it back around to the top of this post, more US soldiers in WWI died of the influenza than in combat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom