swine flu

biggiedisney123

Original Poster
Walt himself survived 1918's Spanish flu outbreak.

(I found this while searching for info on the swine flu and had to share)

Sorry. :hammer:

Mad Stitch

Just avoid meet and greets with the Three Little Pigs for awhile any you should be safe. You might want to avoid Pumba also. :lookaroun

tigsmom

I know it sounds funny, but just look up H1N1 and 1918...not very funny at all. :zipit:

Just consider this - there is no vaccine and it's the healthy middle aged that are at risk, not the elderly and young like most things.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know it sounds funny, but just look up H1N1 and 1918...not very funny at all. :zipit:

Just consider this - there is no vaccine and it's the healthy middle aged that are at risk, not the elderly and young like most things.
Sounds like a great excuse for me to stop working out and start eating buckets of ice cream.:lol:

hardcard

give me a break.. should we all bathe in bleach and board up our houses?

Really, the media is MAJORLY sensationalizing this 'epidemic'..... Just like they sensationalized the 2,000 - 3,000 dead american soldiers in iraq/afgan... We lost hundreds of thousands in WWII alone....

The media really can create panic, because the lemmings all believe it.... This flu isn't that 'serious'... The 'serious' part is that when some get the 'regular' flu, they ignore it, and 'tough through it'... Untreated, this can be more dangerous.... treated, this is no big deal.

Roxas

give me a break.. should we all bathe in bleach and board up our houses?

Really, the media is MAJORLY sensationalizing this 'epidemic'..... Just like they sensationalized the 2,000 - 3,000 dead american soldiers in iraq/afgan... We lost hundreds of thousands in WWII alone....

The media really can create panic, because the lemmings all believe it.... This flu isn't that 'serious'... The 'serious' part is that when some get the 'regular' flu, they ignore it, and 'tough through it'... Untreated, this can be more dangerous.... treated, this is no big deal.

By definition any potentially fatal disease with an R0 of Greater than 1 is a potential epidemic, dependent on treatments bringing the R0 below 1.

Swine Flu kills by Cytokinetic storm, a positive feedback loop in the immune system causes it to become out of control and can lead to death, hence those with the strongest immune systems are affected the worst.

But instead of reading up on the facts of epidemic modeling, (I saw an excellent presentation at Cambridge University on Saturday) you can discard all reasoned arguments as the "Lemmings" believe all the media has to say.

And yes it is resistant to two major types of anti-viral drugs.

tigsmom

By definition any potentially fatal disease with an R0 of Greater than 1 is a potential epidemic, dependent on treatments bringing the R0 below 1.

Swine Flu kills by Cytokinetic storm, a positive feedback loop in the immune system causes it to become out of control and can lead to death, hence those with the strongest immune systems are affected the worst.

But instead of reading up on the facts of epidemic modeling, (I saw an excellent presentation at Cambridge University on Saturday) you can discard all reasoned arguments as the "Lemmings" believe all the media has to say.

Very well put. :king:

cannonballer

If it gets very bad here (it hasnt yet) do you think it would be wise to go to WDW where many cultures from many countries come and mass adn germs can be spread so easy?

hardcard

and it can EASILY be fended away with a series of 'Tamiflu'... one of the most common anti flu medications in the world...

Sorry, but the media is playing this up.. they are all still ed because the whole bird-flu thing hasn't panned out yet..

I'm not un-educated.... I just don't subscribe to mass paranoia..... The schools in Orange county will be sending home ANY student with the 'sniffles' (parapharasing) just in case they have the swine flu.... they may not return without a doctors clearance, and until they have 'cleared up' .... Absolutely ignorant.. by the time a student is symptomatic, it's too late to send them home and banish them.. If they DO have it.. Then they will have spread the illness all over the school by then..

Again, this fear mongering at its best..
:sohappy:

tigsmom

and it can EASILY be fended away with a series of 'Tamiflu'... one of the most common anti flu medications in the world...

Sorry, but the media is playing this up.. they are all still ed because the whole bird-flu thing hasn't panned out yet..

I'm not un-educated.... I just don't subscribe to mass paranoia..... The schools in Orange county will be sending home ANY student with the 'sniffles' (parapharasing) just in case they have the swine flu.... they may not return without a doctors clearance, and until they have 'cleared up' .... Absolutely ignorant.. by the time a student is symptomatic, it's too late to send them home and banish them.. If they DO have it.. Then they will have spread the illness all over the school by then..

Again, this fear mongering at its best..
:sohappy:

Not quite. It is only partially effective (eases the symptoms, but not prevent it). It has been formulated for the strains of "regular" flu (as have other anti virals) and needs to be given within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. Liberal use of hot water and soap still tops the list as well as keeping your hands away from your face (mouth and nose especially).

Every hour the number of cases increases as does the states involved.
There is no cause for panic, but ignoring it is not the way to go.

hardcard

Not quite. It is only partially effective (eases the symptoms, but not prevent it). It has been formulated for the strains of "regular" flu (as have other anti virals) and needs to be given within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. Liberal use of hot water and soap still tops the list as well as keeping your hands away from your face (mouth and nose especially).

Every hour the number of cases increases as does the states involved.
There is no cause for panic, but ignoring it is not the way to go.

You're right! ok.... I'm reporting from home base (hiding under a blanket with a flashlight and canned spam).... Everything is clear here.. Any dead there yet?

/sarcasm

SleepingMonk

A swarm of mad cow infected killer bees with a touch of the swine flu and a bad case of avian influenza has been spotted moving north along International Drive.

Run for your lives!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom