swine flu and travelling

dazzer68

dont want to get over hyped about this , but whats the chance of flights and holidays being cancelled due to the swine flu? im flying from uk to the usa, we have already been advised not to travel in the eu? will usa be next?only 19 days to go hope it doesnt all go wrong now....

Agent1964fem

Its interesting its something every year one year it was ticks another it was mosquitos another it was sars and the list goes on . The media isn't reporting the thousands of people who die from the regular flu every year !:(

Upvote 0

Kaseys412

My heart goes out to that poor baby's family in Texas..

I also just read that Egypt just ordered the slaughter of ALL pigs.. WHAT?! what good is that going to do?

Upvote 0

hardcard

My heart goes out to that poor baby's family in Texas..

I also just read that Egypt just ordered the slaughter of ALL pigs.. WHAT?! what good is that going to do?

Just to clarify.. This is not the death of a US Citizen.. The family of the baby brought him/her here to seek medical care because the mexican doctors could not help the baby...

this was the death of a child from Mexico, not a US citizen.. still zero deaths from the disease here.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

From the reports I've read, wiping surfaces down with them will certainly help since not only is this airborne but it also lingers on things that the person infected has touched.

The flu "bug" is a virus. Antibacterials kill bacteria.

They are two different things.

Kind of like spraying a weed with insect killer and expecting it to die.

A bacteriuim is a living single cell - it can be killed

A virus is a hunk of gentic sequence with a protien coat. It's not alive to begin with. It has to be deactivated. It a lot harder to "kill" because in an absolute sense its not alive to begin with.

Very often a simply wipe will not deactivate them. You need contact time with the disenfectant.

-dave

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Just to clarify.. This is not the death of a US Citizen.. The family of the baby brought him/her here to seek medical care because the mexican doctors could not help the baby...

this was the death of a child from Mexico, not a US citizen.. still zero deaths from the disease here.

I had not heard that! Thanks for the info :)

Upvote 0

Actually, as of this am, there is a death in the US. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
However, unless there is a mass outbreak in the orlando area, we will still be coming up there in about 3ish weeks.

Upvote 0

girlface

dont want to get over hyped about this , but whats the chance of flights and holidays being cancelled due to the swine flu? im flying from uk to the usa, we have already been advised not to travel in the eu? will usa be next?only 19 days to go hope it doesnt all go wrong now....

Im from uk as well and go soon. Chill out! :) They are advising not to fly to america and eu but its only because they cant be bothered to deal with it incase it did happen. You will be fine :)

If it was that bad they would have closed the border.

The media has exagerated it.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

This strain of flu strike the healthy adult with a good immune system and is not like a regular flu.

And I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be as bad as feared as well and they do not know why, as of yet, the cases in this country have been mild.
There is a lot more things to look at.

What details would you like to know? Every hour there are more confirmed cases here in NY and now in NJ (none in your state that I have seen) and is very much in the forefront of the news here. There are multiple cases in Texas, Kansas and California as well. Cases have been confirmed in Europe as well. The "season" for this flu is April & May typically and is a variant of the H1N1 virus. Since people have not been exposed to it they have no antibodies on board to fight it.

CNN Article
More info can be found on just about any news site as well as the CDC's site.

It is more deadly because it attacks HEALTHY ADULTS with good immune systems and overwhelms it, there is no vaccine and does not respond to most antivirals.

As for the rest ... :lol:

Tamiflu will neither treat nor prevent swine flu as it is not formulated to fight it. It will only lessen the symptoms and only if given within 48 hours of onset. Plenty of hot water and soap is your first line of defense...WASH YOUR HANDS and do it often, keep your hands away from your face.

There is no practical vaccine for ANY 'flu'... 'The Flu Shot' as it is currently called is another mass hysteria tool.. It's next-to-useless... There are over 2,800 strains of the 'common flu'... the flu shot is effective against approximately 420 of them.. That number has not increased in 5 years, but the discovered strains has..

that means (all exposure rates assumed equal) you have a 85% chance of getting the 'common flu' even if you have gotten a recent flu-shot..

In other words... Lemmings......

Every year in the United States, 30,000 to 40,000 people die from the regular old flu. The current Swine Flu is something to keep an eye on, but it is not a pandemic yet.

I was going to make the comment that Hardcard made, but he did that already... there isn't a vaccine for any strain of flu...regular influenza, bird flu, swine flu, etc etc.

and the normal flu doesn't just attack the young or elderly or those of weak immune systems. It's not like it picks out those least suited to defend itself. Its just that there are more easily at risk of coming down with the ailments. I'm sure I've been sujected to the flu virus many times (my girlfriend works at a preschool :dazzle:) but I have a strong immune system, take my vitamins, and step up the echenacia if I start feeling soemthing come on. My body is better able to fight off the virus than others. Its the same thing with Swine Flu, it might be slightly "stronger" strand than the influenza we're used to, but if you're immune system is strong and you keep healthy habits (and take your vitamins), you're at no more risk to the Swine flu than you are to other strands.

Tigsmom, you must work for the mainstream media, because it seems like you're trying EXTREMELY hard to create Histeria here! Calm down, will ya!? The news is blowing this way outta proportion...

sheesh

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Ah no, she's an informed individual who spent many years working in the health field, whose husband still DOES work in the health field, and who keeps themselves updated on such topics, simply giving facts.

And yes, anyone can catch "the normal flu" those who DIE from it are typically not those possessing a great immune system.

It was pointed out many posts ago why this is dangerous for those with STRONG immune systems, go back and read.

Upvote 0

CaptainJackNO

FYI, antibacterial anything will do nada when it comes to a viral problem like the flu.

-dave
Incorrect......If you investigate the effectiveness of hand sanitizers, you will see that recent studies actually show hand sanitizers to be slightly more effective than handwashing against most illnesses, INCLUDING influenza. The only viruses that tend to resist hand sanitizers are stomach bugs like norovirus because of the protein it is encapsulated in. I repeat...Hand sanitizers DO kill the influenza virus...(HIV TOO) however, you should not get that from WDW....I hope...:)

The reason handsanitizers are effective against these things is that the active ingredient is Ethyl Alcohol.....Google hand sanitizers and influenza.....The real answers come from research reports (not yahoo answers)

Upvote 0

hardcard

Ah no, she's an informed individual who spent many years working in the health field, whose husband still DOES work in the health field, and who keeps themselves updated on such topics, simply giving facts.

And yes, anyone can catch "the normal flu" those who DIE from it are typically not those possessing a great immune system.

It was pointed out many posts ago why this is dangerous for those with STRONG immune systems, go back and read.

I am an informed, intellgent humanoid that can read between the lines on media hype....

Thats all it is.... the CDC rep was on CNN last night and said there are probably SEVERAL more cases in the US, but common medications are taking care of the problem within 48 hours, so they aren't going to the doctor and finding it out if it was swine flu or not..

this is just like salmonella in tomatoes people... We threw away MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in crops because the CDC found salmonella in tomatoes.. you know how many YEARS and DECADES that same result could have been found? It just hit the media/CDC because someone went to the doctor.. If they didn't, and it cleared on it's on, millions of tomatoes would not have died in vain..

Ignorance is bliss..... but, I refuse to be a lemming...

Upvote 0

Chu-Chi Face

Ok all you Brits - chin up, stiff upper lip and all that non-sense! we are built to prevail situations like this!!!!

I'm planning on flying out for my 9th annual pilgrimage 7th May, if the flights are cancelled (which I very much doubt they will) then I shall build a raft and paddle across with tins of spam for sustenance.

Should I be struck down with swine flu and die whilst on holiday - I will have engraved on my tomb stone '...at least she died happy...' :dazzle:

...and yes it is sad that some have lost their lives to this, but I feel a little perspective would go a long way! It is a small number of a HUGE population.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

I am an informed, intellgent humanoid that can read between the lines on media hype....

Thats all it is.... the CDC rep was on CNN last night and said there are probably SEVERAL more cases in the US, but common medications are taking care of the problem within 48 hours, so they aren't going to the doctor and finding it out if it was swine flu or not..

this is just like salmonella in tomatoes people... We threw away MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in crops because the CDC found salmonella in tomatoes.. you know how many YEARS and DECADES that same result could have been found? It just hit the media/CDC because someone went to the doctor.. If they didn't, and it cleared on it's on, millions of tomatoes would not have died in vain..

Ignorance is bliss..... but, I refuse to be a lemming...

seriously...maybe I should start encouraging this hype...that way the parks will be emptier for me over the next couple weeks!

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

I never said I don't think the media is overplaying this, but Mad (tigsmom) said nothing crazy. She stated repeatedly to wash your hands. Crazy woman and her lemming-encouraging ways. :lol:

Upvote 0

devoy1701

just like with any "flu", those with a stronger immune system are less likely to cath this swine flu than thos who have a weaker immune system.

duh. Maybe if you woulda read the comments I quoted, you would have seen that i did read the past comments stated that even those with healthy immune systems are at risk and decided to consider it a load of cow patties.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

I see the post I was actually thinking of was in the other :)lookaroun ) thread:

By definition any potentially fatal disease with an R0 of Greater than 1 is a potential epidemic, dependent on treatments bringing the R0 below 1.

Swine Flu kills by Cytokinetic storm, a positive feedback loop in the immune system causes it to become out of control and can lead to death, hence those with the strongest immune systems are affected the worst.

But instead of reading up on the facts of epidemic modeling, (I saw an excellent presentation at Cambridge University on Saturday) you can discard all reasoned arguments as the "Lemmings" believe all the media has to say.

And yes it is resistant to two major types of anti-viral drugs.

Cow patties :) Not swine?

Upvote 0

Scooter

Ok all you Brits - chin up, stiff upper lip and all that non-sense! we are built to prevail situations like this!!!!

I'm planning on flying out for my 9th annual pilgrimage 7th May, if the flights are cancelled (which I very much doubt they will) then I shall build a raft and paddle across with tins of spam for sustenance.
Should I be struck down with swine flu and die whilst on holiday - I will have engraved on my tomb stone '...at least she died happy...' :dazzle:

...and yes it is sad that some have lost their lives to this, but I feel a little perspective would go a long way! It is a small number of a HUGE population.

If the swine flu doesn't kill ya, then surely them tins of Spam will.:lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom