Swimming in the quiet pools after-hours: does anyone actually care?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
People matter. Respecting the needs and rights of other people matters a great deal.
However, rules that are not grounded in respecting the needs and rights of other people are not worth following.
If some people are incapable of making respectful decisions in their life and being mindful of the needs of others without being told how, then they should probably follow every rule given to them without question.
I do not consider myself one of those people.
Obviously. You are above the law, or at least you think you are. I realize that we are only talking about pool hours here (and the quiet pools may not have the hours posted), but it really goes towards your attitude over-all. If everyone thought like you did, what a mess this world would be. Imagine that there are probably a lot of people that consider the laws against robbery, assault, etc. to be beneath them. Just because YOU might have a moral compass - though I don't believe it since you are so cavalier towards rules - lot's of other people do not.

Where do you draw the line? Oh that's right. YOU get to draw the line.

HolleBolleGijs

Obviously. You are above the law, or at least you think you are. I realize that we are only talking about pool hours here (and the quiet pools may not have the hours posted), but it really goes towards your attitude over-all. If everyone thought like you did, what a mess this world would be. Imagine that there are probably a lot of people that consider the laws against robbery, assault, etc. to be beneath them. Just because YOU might have a moral compass - though I don't believe it since you are so cavalier towards rules - lot's of other people do not.

Where do you draw the line? Oh that's right. YOU get to draw the line.

For a more relevant example, look at AdamtheWoo. He didn't think he had to follow Disney's rules about guests wandering around backstage and other blocked-off areas (read: River Country), and he ended up with a lifetime ban.

LdyApxr

Do these "rulles" still apply now that a toddler has drowned at AOA yesterday? Parents lost sight of the child, no word on what time this happened but if it were after hours, would you still call people robots for following the rules? Poor child, parents were probably trying to give it a great vacation and now will be planning a funeral.

HolleBolleGijs

Do these "rulles" still apply now that a toddler has drowned at AOA yesterday? Parents lost sight of the child, no word on what time this happened but if it were after hours, would you still call people robots for following the rules? Poor child, parents were probably trying to give it a great vacation and now will be planning a funeral.

It wasn't after hours (I think he was found around 8pm when the pool was open 'til 11), but this is still valid. This is not the first time this has happened and won't be the last. Keeping pools open 24/7 can only hurt at this point.

Last edited:

LdyApxr

It wasn't after hours (I think he was found around 8pm when the pool was open 'till 11), but this is still valid. This is not the first time this has happened and won't be the last. Keeping pools open 24/7 can only hurt at this point.

Thank you, I had not heard what time it was. I do know that at the Grand Californian pool and Paradise Pier pool at DLR, you need your room key to get into the pool area(not sure about DLR because we have not stayed there) and at the GC, all children have access to lief jackets provided by the resort and lifeguards but still, toddlers are lightning fast some times. My own son, at age two, went right to the deep end of my Auntie's pool and jumped right in minus his wings and we all jumped in to grab him so it does happen. Her's was fenced and we were all in the fence putting wings on all the kids and he just slipped around(4 kids, 3 adults doing wings) and plop. But it did not go unnoticed and he was pulled out in moments. I still pray for that family no matter how it happened. It is never easy to be a parent burying a child.

SeanWM48

love swimming after hours and nobody ever gives us a hard time about it. some of you are putting way too much thought into this. And the kid who unfortunately drowned at AOA was during regular hours. That one's on the parents, not sure how you let your kid out of sight that long.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
love swimming after hours and nobody ever gives us a hard time about it. some of you are putting way too much thought into this. And the kid who unfortunately drowned at AOA was during regular hours. That one's on the parents, not sure how you let your kid out of sight that long.
The only thought we are putting into it is if there is a posted sign that says the pool is closed at 10PM, then you should not be swimming after 10PM. THE POOL IS CLOSED. Even if no CM says anything to you - probably because most people would tell them where to go, and not move anyway - it is no different than breaking into a place of business with a Closed sign on it. No different. But then I guess Disney needs to place the pool under firm lock and key to keep rubes like you out of the pool after hours. I'd bet that you would just hop the fence and swim anyway, wouldn't you?

Oh, and it doesn't matter if you're quiet - even though in some cases there are guest rooms only about 30 feet away, and you might be disturbing them. What matters is why you are saying that you are entitled to break the rules? I guess that you're another of those "entitled" folks that think they can do whatever the heck they want while at Disney because you paid a lot of money to go there. ;)

Mouse_Trap

Do they add chemicals to the water after hours.

In the past (not at Disney mind), I've been told that one of the reasons for closing the pool between certain hours is because chemicals are added and it takes a few hours before it disperses properly Thus it could be dangerous if someone was in an area with high levels of chlorine etc.

LdyApxr

In the past (not at Disney mind), I've been told that one of the reasons for closing the pool between certain hours is because chemicals are added and it takes a few hours before it disperses properly Thus it could be dangerous if someone was in an area with high levels of chlorine etc.

I do know that some public pools in my area do water testing/adjusting in the evenings and the public pool when I was a child(we are talking back in the 70's) pulled everyone from the pool during the day for 15-45min to test and add but I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about when or how. My niece lifeguards at a pool here and they do it after the pool closes for the day although they also have to recheck it in the morning before it opens due to any number of things including ambient temp so who knows. I just think following the rules and setting a good example to my children is enough of a reason, BUT I am a robot sheeple. ;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member

Disney pools are salt water.

SeanWM48

I guess that you're another of those "entitled" folks that think they can do whatever the heck they want while at Disney because you paid a lot of money to go there. ;)
that would be incorrect.
The signs clearly state what time Disney does NOT want you to be swimming in their pools. How much thought does it take to comprehend this?
and i did it anyway a couple times. just being honest about it. if somebody came through and asked people to leave i'd grab my stuff and go, no problem.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
that would be incorrect.

and i did it anyway a couple times. just being honest about it. if somebody came through and asked people to leave i'd grab my stuff and go, no problem.
The problem is that if there is a sign that says the pool is closed, you are, in essence, trespassing. It is NO different than entering a store if the store is closed. Just because the pool area doesn't have a lock like a store does, makes NO difference. It is still CLOSED. If you choose to enter the area, then you are breaking the rules, and no amount of arguing about whether YOU think it's a good rule changes that fact. And if you are breaking this rule, that tells us everything we need to know about your moral character, which is severely lacking. Sorry to be harsh, but that is the truth. What other rules do YOU decide aren't worthy of you following, I wonder, as I cannot believe that this would be the only rule you don't like and break?

SeanWM48

if you are breaking this rule, that tells us everything we need to know about your moral character, which is severely lacking. Sorry to be harsh, but that is the truth. What other rules do YOU decide aren't worthy of you following, I wonder, as I cannot believe that this would be the only rule you don't like and break?
today on my way to work the speed limit said 25 and i was doing like 28mph. i know, i know, it's a real problem. my moral character needs a serious reboot

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
today on my way to work the speed limit said 25 and i was doing like 28mph. i know, i know, it's a real problem. my moral character needs a serious reboot
So a nicely sarcastic reply. Guess it's to be expected. And yes, you are right that your moral character could use a reboot, but since you don't care, it won't happen.

worldfanatic

The problem is that if there is a sign that says the pool is closed, you are, in essence, trespassing. It is NO different than entering a store if the store is closed. Just because the pool area doesn't have a lock like a store does, makes NO difference. It is still CLOSED. If you choose to enter the area, then you are breaking the rules, and no amount of arguing about whether YOU think it's a good rule changes that fact. And if you are breaking this rule, that tells us everything we need to know about your moral character, which is severely lacking. Sorry to be harsh, but that is the truth. What other rules do YOU decide aren't worthy of you following, I wonder, as I cannot believe that this would be the only rule you don't like and break?
Your point is made.
You're now simply a target for people trying to wind you up.

Step away from the thread.

Innkeeper's Club

Even though some resort pools like Stormalong Bay close at a specific time every night and all guests need to leave when they do, other resort pools closing time basically means they shut down the water side and the lifeguards go home. Basically they say it's swim at your own risk without the lifeguards and I have seen that written on the sign which say the rules and hours.

I have also seen guests swimming past 12:00 AM at the Contemporary when I had a Bay Lake View and at the Luna Park pool area at the Boardwalk, when no lifeguards where there and the pools were "technically" closed.

smk

I too have seen ADULTS in the water after the hours the pools are open. Late at night, coming back from EMH plenty of times I have seen people in the pools just lounging and talking. I think the pool signage just states that they swim at their own risk? I never have, too late for me! We go during the heat of the day with the rest of the crowds, But then again we stay at Value resorts and the pools are just not that fab, just a basic pool. Noise wise? The pool area rarely bothers me, kids running up and down the balcony area and screaming at each other just to say "hi" or "slow down" or "mom, mom, mom...", now that bothers me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom