Swimming in the quiet pools after-hours: does anyone actually care?

Bairstow

Original Poster
Are you serious? Not caring about rules and thinking they don't apply to you mean the same thing in this case - entitlement. "I won't cause any problems, so I don't have to abide by the rules." There are plenty of people who use selfie sticks safely and politely, but they're still not allowed to bring them into the park. You can't just pick and choose what rules you have to follow.

Yes you can. You totally can.
It's called not being a robot.

This can have a snowball effect. People might see you swimming, think they're "entitled" to do the same even if it's after hours, and then there might be actual problems.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm willing to take that risk.
More to the point, if I come back from the parks at 1AM and see people swimming in the pools and not bothering anybody I'm either going to join them or mind my own business.
If, on the other hand, I'm woken up at 1AM by some noisy kids in the pool, you can totally bet I'm calling the front desk.

LdyApxr

I'm sure you've never split lanes on that motorcycle of yours, right?

I do on my motorcycle but in CA it's legal(and I ride a Ninja, big bad 46yr old mom on a sportbike, yep, just your typical hooligan. ;) ) as long as traffic is going slower than posted speeds. People don't like it but it is not illegal and yes, I have had drivers pull over to block me and I am a member of Team Stealth(no loud aftermarket pipes, full leather gear at all times). I also love motorcycle racing but when I say that, I tend to get people thinking that I am talking about the idiots the race on the street and stunt in traffic and act like yahoos. No racers that my family knows(and we know many, European racers and US racers) even ride on the street due to the idiots out there(both 4 wheel, 2 wheel and 3 wheel LOL)

epcotisbest

I do on my motorcycle but in CA it's legal(and I ride a Ninja, big bad 46yr old mom on a sportbike, yep, just your typical hooligan. ;) ) as long as traffic is going slower than posted speeds. People don't like it but it is not illegal and yes, I have had drivers pull over to block me and I am a member of Team Stealth(no loud aftermarket pipes, full leather gear at all times). I also love motorcycle racing but when I say that, I tend to get people thinking that I am talking about the idiots the race on the street and stunt in traffic and act like yahoos. No racers that my family knows(and we know many, European racers and US racers) even ride on the street due to the idiots out there(both 4 wheel, 2 wheel and 3 wheel LOL)
Please be careful. Lane splitting just makes no sense to me.

LdyApxr

Please be careful. Lane splitting just makes no sense to me.

Understood and I only do it if there is a reason(Monterey 2006 GP, 118*, full leathers and traffic that took an hour to get out of Laguna Seca and at the time riding an air-cooled bike ugh LOL) It's not something I do regularly but then again we don't ride straight freeway/highway miles either except to get into the mountains and then there is no reason to do so. LOL We also do not force the issue if people in cars seem determined to ride us out of our lane. No ride is worth our lives.

stevehousse

I think it just depends on your resort and what is going on. When we were at CBR this past May, U.S. And other families were in the quiet pool well after the posted hours. No one was loud or obnoxious, just everyone enjoying the warm weather and pool water. We never saw anyone get kicked out! I would do it again! If someone came and said something I would just leave. The worst anyone will do is ask you to leave the pool area. They aren't going to kick you out of the hotel...

Jahona

At the airport currently just leaving from my trip to WDW. I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside this year with a pool view room. I had to call the front desk one night as there were several young children, under 10, swimming by themselves and making a pretty loud ruckus. As for the quiet pools themselves, one of the info pamphlets I had said it was open 24 hours. I went swimming late night last year at Coronado and never had an issue. Just had a CM pass by and thank me for being quiet.

LdyApxr

Ri has always run into the issue of people thinking he was underage in the hot tub and pool unattended since even though he is 17, he looks like he is 12 until he talks(LOL I told him to enjoy looking young while it lasts!) and several times in 2013 at DLR, he was denied purchases in the parks(both parks) even though we had put charging privileges on his card. Flo's V8 refused to serve him and let him charge it to our room every time he went in there, I can only assume because they thought he was too young? Who knows. I've been known to pull kids out of the pool area for running, diving and general disruption(not my boys, the nephews I took) because I just don't like people thinking I am one of those "Oh they're just kids" parents(and 13 is quite old enough not to be a "kid" IMO)

Arthur Wellesley

It really comes down to common sense & a tad of intellect. If the hours are posted, then those are the hours in which swimming is permitted. Easy as that! (Though not surprisingly, still rather difficult for some).
The way I see it is, if it isn't my house, then it isn't my place to bend or question the rules. I am to abide by the rules as if I was a guest at someone else's home. This does not make me a "robot", as one of our other oh-so-entitled members nicely put it. Whether Disney enforces the rules is out of the question for me personally because, quite frankly, I can tell time & read past a 1st-grade level, so enforcement should never be an issue as far as I'm concerned. For others, who are lacking in one of the two traits listed in the first sentence, then of course they may question how heavily Disney would enforce something posted, or even call into question if it should matter to them.

If it is within the posted hours you can swim, well then swim. If it is not, then don't. If it is a 24-hour pool, then swim whenever you like. If anything about that seems fuzzy, then ask a CM. See how simple that was?

Last edited:

LdyApxr

It really comes down to common sense & a tad of intellect. If the hours are posted, then those are the hours in which swimming is permitted. Easy as that! (Though not surprisingly, still rather difficult for some).
The way I see it is, if it isn't my house, it isn't my place to bend or question the rules. I am to abide by the rules, as if I was a guest at someone else's home. This does not make me a "robot", as one of our other oh-so-entitled members nicely put it. Whether Disney enforces the rules is out of the question for me personally because, quite frankly, I can tell time & read past a 1st-grade level, so enforcement should never be an issue as far as I'm concerned regardless. If it is within the posted hours you can swim, well then swim. If it is not, then don't. If it is a 24-hour pool, then swim whenever you like. See how simple that was?

Robot, same as being called a Sheeple. Those are the people that I try to avoid, The ones who want to label people as sheeple or robots for following protocol or laws. I get called a sheeple because I have a CCW license as opposed to "defending my 2nd amendment rights to not have to get a license". Whatever, I won't be losing my rights if an officer asks if I have a firearm in my possession. LOL

HolleBolleGijs

Yes you can. You totally can.
It's called not being a robot.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm willing to take that risk.
More to the point, if I come back from the parks at 1AM and see people swimming in the pools and not bothering anybody I'm either going to join them or mind my own business.
If, on the other hand, I'm woken up at 1AM by some noisy kids in the pool, you can totally bet I'm calling the front desk.

Following rules absolutely does not make me a robot. It is Disney's property. They allow me to stay there, and all I have to do is pay and follow the rules. It's a package deal. Last I checked, enjoying yourself on property is not contingent upon the ability to swim at 3AM. Need I remind you that a kid DIED 2 years ago at Pop when he was swimming without a lifeguard on duty? That's why these rules exist.

EDIT: I should add...I do find it annoying to some extent when rules change because of one isolated incident. But you can hardly argue with the fact that it's better overall to potentially save lives than have the luxury of swimming in the middle of the night.

Hockey89

1) It's not whether Disney has "problem with it". It's whether they care enough to confront someone who chooses not to heed the sign. If they don't, then the sign exists mainly as a deterrent rather than as an indication of the resort's actual conviction to enforce the rules stated. That's why I asked.

2/3) It's not that the rules don't apply to me, it's that I don't care about them. To be more precise, it's that I value my personal judgment in this situation than those who chose to put into place a blanket policy for myriad reasons. This rule probably exist for two main purposes: liability and to prevent guests from disturbing each other. Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest. Not disturbing other guests, on the other hand, is a justifiable end, and out of respect for them I would certainly abstain from making any noise after hours that might bother them. So, to the extent I can break the rule without violating the second intent of the rule, I'm certainly comfortable doing so.

There are no kids, and if there were the lesson they should come away with is that governments and corporations often institute blanket policies that constrain our enjoyment of various things which, while well-intended, are not instituted with good justification. One breaks these rules at ones peril, but assuming one trusts their own judgement and is capable of making their own decisions can do so without any real moral reservations.

Mattress-tag-gag_oots_3566.jpg
You are the man... Complete bad a$$$.... Wave at the crowd and take a bow

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
1) It's not whether Disney has "problem with it". It's whether they care enough to confront someone who chooses not to heed the sign. If they don't, then the sign exists mainly as a deterrent rather than as an indication of the resort's actual conviction to enforce the rules stated. That's why I asked.

2/3) It's not that the rules don't apply to me, it's that I don't care about them. To be more precise, it's that I value my personal judgment in this situation than those who chose to put into place a blanket policy for myriad reasons. This rule probably exist for two main purposes: liability and to prevent guests from disturbing each other. Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest. Not disturbing other guests, on the other hand, is a justifiable end, and out of respect for them I would certainly abstain from making any noise after hours that might bother them. So, to the extent I can break the rule without violating the second intent of the rule, I'm certainly comfortable doing so.

There are no kids, and if there were the lesson they should come away with is that governments and corporations often institute blanket policies that constrain our enjoyment of various things which, while well-intended, are not instituted with good justification. One breaks these rules at ones peril, but assuming one trusts their own judgement and is capable of making their own decisions can do so without any real moral reservations.
Wow, what an entitled attitude you have. You're part of the problem with society today. Doesn't matter if a rule is stupid to you, it's still a rule. Heck, I don't like getting to drive only 75 on the interstate here, but it's the law, so I follow it.

Of course, I spent 22 years in the military so entitled b-heads like you could break whatever rule they don't like, so feel free. Just remember that the world revolves around you, and no one else matters. :cool:

Bairstow

Original Poster
Wow, what an entitled attitude you have. You're part of the problem with society today. Doesn't matter if a rule is stupid to you, it's still a rule. Heck, I don't like getting to drive only 75 on the interstate here, but it's the law, so I follow it.

Of course, I spent 22 years in the military so entitled b-heads like you could break whatever rule they don't like, so feel free. Just remember that the world revolves around you, and no one else matters. :cool:

People matter. Respecting the needs and rights of other people matters a great deal.
However, rules that are not grounded in respecting the needs and rights of other people are not worth following.
If some people are incapable of making respectful decisions in their life and being mindful of the needs of others without being told how, then they should probably follow every rule given to them without question.
I do not consider myself one of those people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom