Swimming in the quiet pools after-hours: does anyone actually care?

slappy magoo

The problem with swimming in the quiet pools after hours is that the people who do it are rarely quiet. They might think they're being quiet, but if your room is by the pool and you can hear splashing and talking, you go out to ask the people to be quiet, they'll either say they'll be quiet and then not be quiet, OR get confrontational with you from the get-go. And if you're the one doing the swimming, even if you're just slowly wading in, completely respectful, inevitably someone will decide to join you who's a pantload, ruin your quiet swim and the mood of everyone around.

Prince Shaun

We were in the quiet pool at Saratoga Springs a few years ago - and we were actually quiet - but Disney security came and asked us to leave. It was so nice to swim at night, looking at the lights of Downtown Disney!

DisDadWoz

There's a gate around the main pools, but I don't think there's any times posted for when the "quiet " pools close. I could be wrong though.,
The resort literature states that pool hours are posted and are based on weather. I think most show 10:00 pm as the latest. Back to the original question, always remember one persons quiet and respectful is anothers loud and obnoxious so don't be surprised if someone calls the front desk if you are in there. Although I have never actually seen anyone get kicked out.

Hockey89

The problem with swimming in the quiet pools after hours is that the people who do it are rarely quiet. They might think they're being quiet, but if your room is by the pool and you can hear splashing and talking, you go out to ask the people to be quiet, they'll either say they'll be quiet and then not be quiet, OR get confrontational with you from the get-go. And if you're the one doing the swimming, even if you're just slowly wading in, completely respectful, inevitably someone will decide to join you who's a pantload, ruin your quiet swim and the mood of everyone around.
Too much logic and not enough all about me.... They say no swimming for a reason....

Hockey89

Does Disney security actually care if people swim in the quiet pools after the posted hours?
Serious question.... I like to see what the train of thought is with questions like this....

1) Why do they have the signs up if they don't have a problem with it?
2) Do you think, Hey rules doesn't apply to me bc I'm special"
3) How about the rooms that are over looking the pools who WILL be bothered...Does that not come into play? Just all about me?

Please help me out here...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess my answer is, if the sign says the pool is closed at 10pm, and you are there with your kids at 11pm, what are you teaching your kids?

If there is no sign, then no problem, swim away. If there is a sign, then everyone should obey the rules. Too many people seem to think that just because they paid money to be there, they should be able to do whatever they feel like. I do NOT get that ridiculous attitude.

epcotisbest

Serious question.... I like to see what the train of thought is with questions like this....

3) How about the rooms that are over looking the pools who WILL be bothered...Does that not come into play? Just all about me?

So, it is not all about me? I will look next time to see if the sign says "Except for you, Ricky. You can go ahead and swim any time you want."

Bairstow

Original Poster

1) It's not whether Disney has "problem with it". It's whether they care enough to confront someone who chooses not to heed the sign. If they don't, then the sign exists mainly as a deterrent rather than as an indication of the resort's actual conviction to enforce the rules stated. That's why I asked.

2/3) It's not that the rules don't apply to me, it's that I don't care about them. To be more precise, it's that I value my personal judgment in this situation than those who chose to put into place a blanket policy for myriad reasons. This rule probably exist for two main purposes: liability and to prevent guests from disturbing each other. Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest. Not disturbing other guests, on the other hand, is a justifiable end, and out of respect for them I would certainly abstain from making any noise after hours that might bother them. So, to the extent I can break the rule without violating the second intent of the rule, I'm certainly comfortable doing so.

I guess my answer is, if the sign says the pool is closed at 10pm, and you are there with your kids at 11pm, what are you teaching your kids?

If there is no sign, then no problem, swim away. If there is a sign, then everyone should obey the rules. Too many people seem to think that just because they paid money to be there, they should be able to do whatever they feel like. I do NOT get that ridiculous attitude.

There are no kids, and if there were the lesson they should come away with is that governments and corporations often institute blanket policies that constrain our enjoyment of various things which, while well-intended, are not instituted with good justification. One breaks these rules at ones peril, but assuming one trusts their own judgement and is capable of making their own decisions can do so without any real moral reservations.

Mattress-tag-gag_oots_3566.jpg

epcotisbest

"Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest."
That is an interesting statement. In today's litigious society, if Disney did not guard against liability, they would be sued out of business, then you would have no Disney to go to. But I guess that is of less than zero concern to you.

1) It's not whether Disney has "problem with it". It's whether they care enough to confront someone who chooses not to heed the sign. If they don't, then the sign exists mainly as a deterrent rather than as an indication of the resort's actual conviction to enforce the rules stated. That's why I asked.

2/3) It's not that the rules don't apply to me, it's that I don't care about them. To be more precise, it's that I value my personal judgment in this situation than those who chose to put into place a blanket policy for myriad reasons. This rule probably exist for two main purposes: liability and to prevent guests from disturbing each other. Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest. Not disturbing other guests, on the other hand, is a justifiable end, and out of respect for them I would certainly abstain from making any noise after hours that might bother them. So, to the extent I can break the rule without violating the second intent of the rule, I'm certainly comfortable doing so.

There are no kids, and if there were the lesson they should come away with is that governments and corporations often institute blanket policies that constrain our enjoyment of various things which, while well-intended, are not instituted with good justification. One breaks these rules at ones peril, but assuming one trusts their own judgement and is capable of making their own decisions can do so without any real moral reservations.

Mattress-tag-gag_oots_3566.jpg

Bairstow

Original Poster
"Disney's liability is of less than zero concern to me as, if anything, it's contrary to my interest."
That is an interesting statement. In today's litigious society, if Disney did not guard against liability, they would be sued out of business, then you would have no Disney to go to. But I guess that is of less than zero concern to you.

It is, with a caveat:
While it is to my advantage that Disney can protect itself legally from others, it is to my disadvantage that Disney could also protect itself from me or my family and friends should the need or opportunity arise.

I'm not suggesting that Disney shouldn't protect its liability, only that my interest in Disney's ability to protect itself is limited to those who are not me or close to me. Thus, there is no incentive not to take actions that would only potentially effect the latter and not the former.

HolleBolleGijs

Are you serious? Not caring about rules and thinking they don't apply to you mean the same thing in this case - entitlement. "I won't cause any problems, so I don't have to abide by the rules." There are plenty of people who use selfie sticks safely and politely, but they're still not allowed to bring them into the park. You can't just pick and choose what rules you have to follow.

This can have a snowball effect. People might see you swimming, think they're "entitled" to do the same even if it's after hours, and then there might be actual problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom